Burning oil - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2009, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Burning oil

My oil change light recently came on with only 2500 miles on the oil. I checked it to see what it looked like and it was a medium brow , but it was down a half a quart. The car only has 7600 miles on it. What could be the problem? I am going to take it into the dealer tomorrow, but i am sure that they will just tell me it is normal and send me on my way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2009, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Just a quick question, what year Compass do you have? If memory serves me right, and I will look this up in a bit to find the site where I read this, but newer Chrysler vehicles are equipped with sensors that not only measure oil pressure but temperature and condition as well, almost a way for the computer to keep tabs on the thermal breakdown of the oil over time, based on temperature readings for the recommended weight of oil used in the vehicle, which might turn the light on.

I know it sounds like a silly question, but are you leaking anywhere that you can tell? To be half a quart low with only 2500 miles since the last oil change doesn't sound right unless it wasn't filled to the correct level. On the Compass, it's a 4 1/2 qt. oil change including the filter, but I would just keep an eye on the oil level and check to see if there are any leaks anywhere. Good luck and if you need any other help, feel free to ask! Talk to you soon.

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....

Last edited by Cherokee; 11-30-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Its a 2008. I dont mind that the oil light is on because this is about the time that it comes on usually but being low on oil bothers me. I know a month ago it wasn't low, because even though it is a new car i always check my oil at least monthly, along with tire pressure. there isnt any leak that i can see or that is showing. but you said the oil change is 4 1/2 quarts which is wierd because i thought it was 5 quarts.and it technically isnt low on oil it is in the middle of the safe zone on the dipstick, so it is just down a half a quart.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in