Recalibrate for better throttle response? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2007, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Recalibrate for better throttle response?

Do you know if there's a way to recalibrate the engine's computer for better throttle response? I know with the 04-newer Ford F-150 trucks they switched to drive-by-wire and a lot of people complained about it being sluggish. Ford issued an update to get rid of the hesitation (it's all electronic).

Maybe someone will come out with a performance chip/programmer also that can get rid of the hesitation???

Ideas???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2007, 01:44 AM
Administrator

Yes, there is a way to do that, but first, what kind of sluggishness are you trying to eliminate? You didn't buy the 5.7L Hemi V-8 Jeep Grand Cherokee or Commander, both of which I had my eye on. We didn't buy a car with a powerplant under the hood, so to speak Yes, you can plug into your OBD II port, and re-program the computer, but what you cannot change in this car is the air/fuel ratio, without having to go through a whole lot of electronic mess on the way to doing it, which is why I ask what sluggishness are you trying to eliminate? Perhaps if I had an answer to that, I could be of further assistance. My partner and myself work on cars for a living, and, in some ways, this one throws me off, which is why I decided to go ahead and buy it, before I had to be an electrician to do it, while mechanics still mattered. Need more info, but, yes there is a way. At this point, it doesn't matter what tranny you have, CVT or manual, HP is HP. Give me an idea what you are looking to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
Old 03-18-2007, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

I want more off-the-line grunt. Not too much, but it's just not the same as a regular throttle-with-a-cable-to-the-engine vehicle. I knew full well it had the off-the-line delay when I bought and that's fine. I'm not interested in getting more power out of the engine, 172HP is fine. I just want a bit better response off idle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2007, 06:01 PM
ACX

unless it is deemed a problem by dcx, or someomne like superchips or diablo come out with a tuner then I'd say you're probably hung.

DCX doesn't have a good track record for aftermarket tuning either - for better or for worse.

Some places can do performance reflashes, but for the likes of the caliber / compass which won't be a performance priority, Id say you'll be lucky to find anything.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:25 AM
Administrator

I tend to agree with ACX on this one. As far as the Compass goes, there really is not much you can do to this one. Like I was telling someone last night, I know it won't be long before someone tries putting the Compass on stilts, lol, or something like that, but it just wouldn't look right with the 6" skyjacker lift that I have on my Cherokee, even though I would pay to see someone try, he he. Unfortunately, for those who might be tempted to try, I just do not see any way to modify this car. It is not like my old Dodge P/U, where dropping a bigger block into it is within the realm of possibility, or increasing the air induction. To change your "stop to go" ratio, so to speak, really is not possible with this one. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but without a throttle to engine block cable, where it is adjustable manually, without having to do it electronically, I do not see a way on this one. Besides that, I would hate to see what that would do to the other electronic components that the computer controls, as on this one, everything is inter-related.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in