Rattle & Loud resonance sound when vehicle is warmed up. - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 Old 09-10-2013, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Rattle & Loud resonance sound when vehicle is warmed up.

Hey All,

I've searched to the best of my ability but can't seem to find an issue that matches mine.

2007 Compass, 2.4L, 2WD, 5-Speed, Sport, 73,xxx miles. (White, just in case that matters)

The issue that I'm experiencing is that once the vehicle is warmed up to normal operating temp, usually after 10 minutes or so, there is a thump/rattle (not tinny like a heat shield) that sounds like it's coming from the middle/rear of the car.

Once I'm on the highway and can get the car into 4th or 5th gear and put a decent load on the engine, at approximately 3000-3500 RPM the thump/rattle turns into a howl/resonance type sound.

Above and below that RPM range the noise starts to decline and any bumps in the road cause the thump/rattle regardless of RPM.

My local Jeep dealer looked at it yesterday and said that the Front Torque Support is bent and causing the noise, then they happily charged me $79 for the honor of putting it on their lift without driving it.

The check engine light hasn't been on and it a passed the annual emissions inspection.

With the car on ramps in my garage last night I saw that there is a "ding" in the Torque Support but it's NOT bent.

When I questioned the service writer, he just said, "Well, that's a problem, so fix that first and then we'll look at it again."

I won't go into detail about my opinion that there seems to be an emerging trend...the decline of mechanics and rise of "part swappers."

So, with all of that being said, I expect that the problem is in the exhaust system, (catalytic converter is my prime suspect) what do you all think?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

Last edited by JefRhi; 09-10-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-10-2013, 04:12 PM

I'd put my best assessment that the catalytic converter has a separated shield/plate loose inside. Get under and hit it and see if you get any rattling (be sure its cooled down) you can use your fist or something that won't bend/dent it.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-11-2013, 05:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
I'd put my best assessment that the catalytic converter has a separated shield/plate loose inside. Get under and hit it and see if you get any rattling (be sure its cooled down) you can use your fist or something that won't bend/dent it.

Thanks, tripplec!

With the car back on the ramps today, I first used my gloved fist to bang up and down the exhaust system after it had cooled down and when I couldn't produce a rattle I switched to a rubber mallet; still no rattle.

Since it only makes the noises when it's at normal operating temp, I took it for a drive and after the noises showed up, I banged on it again with fist and mallet but still couldn't hear any rattling.

I convinced a service writer at the dealership to take a ride with me. He was skeptical at first, and when the first thumps started, he said it was a bad strut...I politely persisted that it wasn't, that I think it's something in the exhaust, and asked if he'd mind taking it on the highway to demonstrate the drone/resonance sound.

4th gear on the highway, right in the sweet-spot of 3000-3500 RPM, the noise kicks in. "Hmmm, sounds like something in the exhaust. Probably a lose mount." I tell him again that I don't think it is, and that the hangers are all intact and there's no noise when shaking the exhaust from underneath.

Back at the dealership, he grabs the HOT tailpipe and burns his hand, gets a rag, and while still cussing his burned hand, he shakes the exhaust. "Well, it doesn't make any noise when I shake it and the hangers all look good...I'm stumped."

My next appointment is Monday morning to have a tech look at it again. I'll post back with an update afterwards.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-11-2013, 12:46 PM

Well clearly he was just guessing without foundation. Strut noises come from the front and rarely on the highway. City bumps and speed bumps reveal those issues.

Clearly he's in need of the basics and started in the School of Hard Knocks !!! Not to grab a hot exhaust is or appears his first lesson, many more to come to become wise in the ways of cars. LOL

Odd it did not show up knocking under the exhaust though. Muffler and/or converter to me expecially since you get the howl from the exhaust which appears as if something is not where it should be inside.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in