ESP Button - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tyler-98-W68

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 09-29-2013, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

ESP Button

Hey guys!! New here......just got a used jeep compass, and loving it!! My question is about the esp button. I cant find what I need in the owners manual.....when I am driving on dry roads do I want the light to be on or off? I dont know why this is so confusing to me!? If I press the "esp off" button the light comes ON. Please help...... thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-30-2013, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
If you have a 4x4 Compass the ESP has 3 modes.

ESP On - This is the default setting and will use reduced engine power and the brakes to control wheelspin and keep the vehicle from spinning out(oversteer or understeer)

ESP Partial Off - If you depress the esp button the light will come on the dash (looks like a vehicle with skid marks) in this mode the esp system will allow more wheel spin before using the brakes or engine power to slow down the wheels that are spinning. This mode will function the same when it comes to preventing the vehicle from spinning out (oversteer or understeer). You would use this if you get stuck and need more wheel spin.

ESP Full Off - Only on 4x4 models, if you push and hold the esp button for 5 or so seconds, you will hear a chime and the msg "ESPOFF" on the vehicle display center. In this mode under 56kms/h all traction control aids (with the exception of the brake lock differential) are disabled, so you will be able to spin the tires as much as possible. Since the vehicle stability control is also disabled you will be able to oversteer and understeer and do doughnuts or whatever

Once you start going above 56kms/h the system will revert back to esp partial off.

For normal driving when you start the vehicle up the light should be off. If you push the button it will come on. SO based on your description everything is functioning fine.
jaketsnake likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-30-2013, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Alright!! Thanks-im not sure why that was so hard for me to understand.....I cant wait to get some snow here so I can try this bad boy out! I traded in an 07 mitsubishi eclipse that would get stuck in my driveway.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-30-2013, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
You will absolutely LOVE how the compass' awd system works in the winter, it is sooo seemless and works great. Most of the time in the winter I never even lock the 4x4 in as I find the standard awd mode works best on slick roads.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-13-2015, 09:50 PM

This is an old post, so I hope it's checked still. How does the ESP work with 4x4? I didn't get the chance to use my Jeep in the snow because it didn't snow after I bought it, but I want to be ready for next winter. My old Cherokee didn't have ESP so I just had 4x4 to deal with. Thanks!
post #6 of 8 Old 05-15-2015, 04:12 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
4x4 or not, all the esp system does is control/limit wheel spin depending on the mode you are in. 4x4 operation isn't affected by the ESP mode.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

post #7 of 8 Old 06-23-2015, 03:19 AM

So shutting off ESP should in theory save some gas lol
post #8 of 8 Old 06-23-2015, 02:39 PM

I guess another way to look at it.

If you plowing through or about to deep snow or mud you'd want it off (which will give you more power to the wheels if they're breaking traction). Otherwise just leave it as is including going down your typical dirt unpaved road rough road. More importantly I would activate the 4WD T-lever behind the hand brake

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in