Oil Change indicator - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 20 Old 12-25-2009, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Oil Change indicator

My indicator came on yesterday that it's time for service. Mine has a pro date of 11/08 even though I bought it in 08/09. Does this system also use time as a factor? I was goint to change it around 3000 miles anyway but right now I have 2500 miles on it. I called the dealer last week but they were booked up for the next couple of Saturdays and they sent me a coupon for a free change anyway. After this one I'm going to Pennzoil Synthetic 5W-20.

2011 Compass Latitude ,28B ,Freedom Drive II Off Road Group, Sun & Sound ,,Bright Silver,Husky Liners,Mopar Molded Flaps,Xpel clear door edge guards, Stainless Steel exhaust tip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-25-2009, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Time is always a factor with oil my friend .......Only way to go in synthetic............

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old 12-27-2009, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Good idea to go with synthetic, like Ffl said, even though Pennzoil would not be my first choice. However, mileage and your elapsed time (hours on the engine - shown in the EVIC display) are considered as to when the indicator is programmed to come on. You will be fine waiting to get it changed at 3K miles.

Just as an aside, if the light is bothersome, not sure if the Compass is the same, but to re-set the light, just put the key in the ignition without starting the engine and hit the gas pedal 3 times, light should go off.

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 12-27-2009, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

yeap same thing..........but keep in mind that you'll need to change that oil soon anyway !!!!!!

Laugh uncontrollably...
Have a wonderful day!

post #5 of 20 Old 12-28-2009, 07:47 PM

I use Mobil 1 for my Compass. I understand the Compass will become an orphan by 2011
Fiat intends to discontinue making the Comass and Patriot.
post #6 of 20 Old 01-05-2010, 02:53 PM

I use Mobile1 full synthetic. changed every 3k miles.
post #7 of 20 Old 01-09-2010, 01:00 PM

Garage
A car to cherrish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire410 View Post
I use Mobil 1 for my Compass. I understand the Compass will become an orphan by 2011
Fiat intends to discontinue making the Comass and Patriot.
That could make it a sought after collectors car in later years. . . . like the original '48 Willy's Overland Jeepster!
I understand that the Pontiac Aztec is starting to roll in popularity by obscure car collectors, sort of like the Edsel years back.
So who knows?

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

post #8 of 20 Old 01-09-2010, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well I changed mine today and if anyone cares the plug is 13mm. I used Havoline 5w-20. Advance Auto has a special for 12.99 5 qts and a filter and you can upgrade to the better Purolator filter fro 2 dollars more which I did so for 14.99 I got freash oil and did a tire rotation. It's nice to work at car dealer so you can use the lift to do it.

2011 Compass Latitude ,28B ,Freedom Drive II Off Road Group, Sun & Sound ,,Bright Silver,Husky Liners,Mopar Molded Flaps,Xpel clear door edge guards, Stainless Steel exhaust tip.

post #9 of 20 Old 01-18-2010, 02:05 AM

Yeah I bet. Jacks are no fun, especially in the winter when the driveway is frozen. Wheres the dealership you work at located? I live about 5 minutes from the Penn boarder.

Run from me if you want to live.

2008 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 (4x4 all the way baby!)
post #10 of 20 Old 04-18-2010, 02:58 PM

Well I just changed my oil the first time on my newly acquired 2009. I was surprised to find my funnel would not go down the fill opening. Something obstructing it. I found it somewhat difficult to pour the oil and was afraid the funnel would flop over and oil run over the engine. What do you guys use? Is there something that threads into the opening. Most dealer have a bulk pump with a hose and I know that won't go in either.

I have used a filter over many vehicles over the decades that has a one inch opening.

I may go to Sythentic on my next change. I have used the Penszoil Platinum 5w30 in my other vehicles from time to time and its suppose to cool the engine better than dino oils. So it says anyway.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #11 of 20 Old 04-18-2010, 04:32 PM

Garage
I just hold the funnel when I fill mine. The larger containers can be a bit of a challenge so I keep a smaller empty quart container to fill then put into the engine.

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #12 of 20 Old 04-18-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey01 View Post
I just hold the funnel when I fill mine. The larger containers can be a bit of a challenge so I keep a smaller empty quart container to fill then put into the engine.
My jug was a challenge and was wonder what others were doing. If someone had theirs dealer changed I wonder if the saw what they do. Anyway I have a few months before I change it again and I'll keep and eye out for something which might work better.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #13 of 20 Old 04-18-2010, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Hey Trip did the same thing as you..............did conventional (5W20) on my first change and now I'm synthetic from Costco, I think they use Castrol Syntec.................pretty good prices !!!!! The engine seems to run smoother.........will see about gas milleage !!!!

Laugh uncontrollably...
Have a wonderful day!

post #14 of 20 Old 04-18-2010, 08:45 PM

The dealer gave me an oil filter and a jug filled with their bulk oil. Since it was dirty when I picked it up and was not happy. I said I would change it myself since they are about 150km away and I do my own oil changes anyway. I know whats going on under there. I'll see how fast this oil get dirty and change it again likely around 3000km or so. There may be build up from extended oil changes (up to 10k) according to the manual. I don't believe in that length of runtime. I don't have EVIC and not sure if there is a change oil light indicator or not. I am told when asked there is but no idea where. This has quite a few option in it including the North Package. I wonder what decision involves having the EVIC system. I seem like it should be standard.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #15 of 20 Old 04-18-2010, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Ok here is the deal......as a fellow canadian.......I don't have the EVIC as well but I do have the North Edition and yes there is light that will flash and sound when the on board computer calculates your mileage or the lenght of time and tells you when you should change oil..............it's about at 5K.........and your owner's manual tell you how to manually reset the OBC for the next time......the guy at Costco knew the code and did it for me........and voila !!!!! Nothing to worry about !!!!

Laugh uncontrollably...
Have a wonderful day!

post #16 of 20 Old 04-18-2010, 09:02 PM

Yes, I found it in the manual.

Ignition on in run position but not started. Move the throttle down 3 times to the floor, not too fast but down/up 3 times within 10 sec's. Then engine off.

Without the engine oil change indicator on I am unsure if the computer is reset but I will not change it if it does say in less than 3k.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Last edited by tripplec; 04-18-2010 at 09:02 PM. Reason: typos
post #17 of 20 Old 04-26-2010, 05:04 AM
Administrator

Not sure about the '09+ Compass, but my truck (2008 Dodge Ram 1500) does not have the EVIC, either, so my oil change indicator is this: "Change Oil" appears on the dash above the odometer and I hear a chime.

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

post #18 of 20 Old 02-11-2011, 04:26 AM

Garage
Save your engine, take note of this.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
Not sure about the '09+ Compass, but my truck (2008 Dodge Ram 1500) does not have the EVIC, either, so my oil change indicator is this: "Change Oil" appears on the dash above the odometer and I hear a chime.

- Cherokee
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
It is good to change the oil regularly. I use Mobil 1 synthetic 5w20
I change the oil twice a year. Once in summer and once in winter. Here's the most important thing. Clean or change the air filter on a regular basis. I clean mine at least twice a month. I still use the original air filter that came with the car. Cleaning the air filter is more important than changing the oil every 3 mos. because dirty air is the real engine killer. Don't believe me? I have 107000 miles on my '07 compass now and no problem with the engine. runs sweet and quiet. Use a vacuum cleaner to suck the dirt out. I "slam" the filter onto clean concrete surface to loosen the dirt and then force air thru the filter using a compressor. Always force air thru the filter going the reverse direction from the engine intake so no dust particles will go into the engine.
Remember, clean air will keep your oil clean longer too. Less abrasive dust going into the engine will save your cylinders, pistons, piston rings and bearings. And... save your money !!! I live in L.A. California and drive about 80 miles almost everyday. And by the way, if you ever change your tires, use Michelin Hydroedge. It will help quiet down the car... a lot! When I bought the car brand new, it came with Goodyear SRA which got very noisy in less than 1 year of use. I have more tips to share with you ...
post #19 of 20 Old 02-11-2011, 11:45 AM

Air compressor it too hard on the filter. It will destroy the structure. Yeah tapping it gently and vacuuming may extend the life. As it fills with particles it lets less air through and forces richer running or used to. However the air flow sensor and computer will likely compensate for that now anyway since its all metered so to speak. Eventually you have to replace it. You cannot clean it like new. The air compressor may make large voids for air to flow through drawing the very particles in you're trying to stop.

A dirty filter does not allow more dust in, only less air.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #20 of 20 Old 02-12-2011, 03:51 AM
Administrator

I agree with tripplec, I don't use a compressor on the filter, either.

- Cherokee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in