Jerk when let off accelerator - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 29 Old 01-15-2010, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Jerk when let off accelerator

If this has already been asked, i apologize. Has anyone on here experienced the "jerk" when you let off the gas? regardless of what you were doing prior to letting off (cruising, slam on gas, going fast or slow) it doesnt matter, it ALWAYS jerks a little when you let off the gas. Following the jerk, the car slows down at an accelerated rate. ive been told this is some kind of brake assist or engine brake or something, but i also heard it from a dealer which raises a red flag. They may be just trying to cover their tracks from being blamed if something goes wrong. Anyone know anything about this "jerk" when letting off the gas? any help is appreciated!!

Last edited by EvenFlow57; 01-15-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 01-17-2010, 06:51 PM

mine does it, fery frustrating. The dealer said it was normal
post #3 of 29 Old 01-18-2010, 02:00 AM

Which transmission do the two of you have?

Run from me if you want to live.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 (4x4 all the way baby!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 01-18-2010, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

I have the CVTII i believe. Its a 2007 Sport 4x4 Automatic.
post #5 of 29 Old 01-19-2010, 06:44 PM

Well, in that case, the only thing that I can think of is that maybe the transmission is tightening the gear ratio as you let off the gas. That sounds a lot like what happens when you use the autostick and shift down into a high rpm range. I cant really tell you what the cause is, but that sounds plausible to me.

Run from me if you want to live.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 (4x4 all the way baby!)
post #6 of 29 Old 02-02-2010, 12:54 AM

i get this under throttle when my car is cold ill be at 2000rpms driving down my street in the morning and it will cut out at the exact same time every morning. then its fine untill next cold start..its wierd
post #7 of 29 Old 03-22-2010, 03:17 PM

There was a service bulletin about this on the 07's with the CVT. A PCM update was supposed to fix the problem. Mine went away for the most part after, and then came back a little more, but never as bad as it first was, after another update.

I had to specifically ask the dealer for the fix, and I don't think the thread is on this board anymore, since it was probably from 07. But someone else from the past might remember it.
post #8 of 29 Old 03-24-2010, 08:56 AM

Garage
I have a 2009 Compass with CVT and I have noticed the deceleration you are talking about. Usually at low speeds when I let off the gas pedal, it feels simialr to engine braking, which I do habitually when driving a manual, so I kinda like the feel of it, like the CVT is doing the engine braking for me. Most automatics wont do this so I reckon the CVT is good in this respect. If it is in fact a kind of engine braking, that would also mean that you are getting better traction as you decelerate too!

But... If it's decelerating to the point where your engine cuts out or stalls then it sounds like something different.

Last edited by lochinprc; 03-24-2010 at 10:14 AM.
post #9 of 29 Old 03-30-2010, 10:45 PM

My Compass does that engine braking a bit as well. Its not a big downshift but it certainly does not coast or speed up going down a grade like a conventional automatic does.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #10 of 29 Old 04-27-2010, 06:28 PM

I get it too...and I find it annoying.

Has anyone heard anything from the dealer as far as getting this fixed? I explained the issue to the service department, they couldnt duplicate the problem....

Is this a problem?....or is it normal as they say?
post #11 of 29 Old 04-28-2010, 12:25 PM

Garage
It doesnt cause the engine to over-rev so it doesnt seem like a 'problem' to me. More like a feature of the transmission. I think I read somewhere that you can get rid of it....but I just can't remember where...that's right... post no. 7...

But mine is an 09 so that shouldnt be relevant...One thing I cant get used to is coming back to auto from auto-stick mode. The car seems to jerk a bit like as if it upgeared but too early...Seems that if you let th gass off a little just before you switch back it's not such a jerk.

Apart from that I dont mind the cvt.

Anyone ever had their auto-stick gear ratios re-programmed? is that even possible? it seems to get to third way too quick LOL...

2009 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 2.4L, Black Pearl, CVTII.
post #12 of 29 Old 04-28-2010, 12:37 PM

My wife is drive the Compass full time. Everytime I get into it I have to reacquaint my self to the response etc. Like when I went to get her gas filled up. The low fuel light came on.

I notice that LOCHINPRC sig shows CVTII. Is that a 09 version or a optional tranny?

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #13 of 29 Old 04-28-2010, 01:57 PM

Garage
I guess they used the 2nd gen CVT in the 09 Compass.

post #14 of 29 Old 04-29-2010, 06:01 PM

Garage
I have to agree with lochin, Maybe the computer is shifting the cvt at the wrong time. I've noticed the same thing with my girlfriend's equinox. If you want to speed up you really have to push the gas down pretty far and it downshifts and jerks. I think the cvt should stay in tractors and combines where it belongs.

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #15 of 29 Old 05-02-2010, 02:53 PM

Garage
Smokey01, I dont mind the CvT most of the time, its just when trying to accelerate with the auto-stick and coming back to CVT that it is a little annoying. Sounds like the Compass's CVT might be a better one than the equinox cause it doesnt seem to jerk unless you are trying to manualize it lol....

post #16 of 29 Old 05-02-2010, 03:04 PM

Garage
I've driven manuals for so long that whenever i get in a vehicle my foot instantly goes for the clutch and my hand for the gear shift to check what gear it's in. The CVT could be a great transmission but it needs a little refinement yet. I don't know if it's in the mechanics of how it works or if it's in the electronics that controls it but it's come a long way since it was first introduced.

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #17 of 29 Old 05-06-2010, 09:46 AM

I have noticed that if I have used the autostick and then leave it in automatic mode it performs differantly, often reving to odd shift points and a "jerking" in the tranny. However it will smooth out if I do not use the autostick. I always thought it was poor eprom programing for the fuel to air mix ratios and modified shift points that comes with using the autostick.

I have not used the autostick in months and have no problems in fact the shifts are so smooth when I get into another car and I feel and hear the shifts I am thinking what is wrong then I realise I am not in the Compass.

Jeep is a way of life, not just transportation.
post #18 of 29 Old 05-19-2010, 01:47 PM

Glad to see I am not unique with the gearing. I only notice it at low speeds going through Tim Horton's and the odd traffic slowdown. I use the shift for slowing down and then go back to auto. Having said that I did notice the kick down increase trying to pass at 120KM on the 401.
post #19 of 29 Old 05-23-2010, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWoodca View Post
Glad to see I am not unique with the gearing. I only notice it at low speeds going through Tim Horton's and the odd traffic slowdown. I use the shift for slowing down and then go back to auto. Having said that I did notice the kick down increase trying to pass at 120KM on the 401.
welcome goes to another ontario owner

2007 jeep compass
2WD 2,4L
190,000 km (Always in the shop)
Recently Overhauled every link/bushing in the front/rear
20% tint on windows
Lamin-X smoked tail lights
Painted all silver interior trim satin black.
I strongly Reccomend You Don't buy a Jeep Compass!!!!
post #20 of 29 Old 05-31-2010, 11:02 AM

Thanks Zackman. Nice to be welcomed

Tony

2009 Silver Northern Edition
Picked up Spring 2010

Go Sens Go
post #21 of 29 Old 05-31-2010, 09:21 PM

Garage
yay more canadians lol.

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #22 of 29 Old 06-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochinprc View Post
I guess they used the 2nd gen CVT in the 09 Compass.
I had the CVT II in my '07, which, at the time, didn't make much sense to me because I wasn't aware Jeep had used it in any of their vehicles, so the second gen. CVT made me wonder, too.

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #23 of 29 Old 06-10-2010, 12:21 PM

I know a dealer said there is a model with low range transmission and was wondering if that was the CVT II I don't recall now to tell you the truth. I never saw the need for that on this class of ride so I did not pursue it. But its useful on the heavy duty Jeeps and other SUV's that can handle a higher load on tranny and transfer case. CVT's are limited there due primarily the ban being the driving force.

I saw an install diagram for Compass cooler. It a con****ed arangement connecting tubes/piping to the rad hoses etc AND Engine oil filter coupler. They are cooling the engine oil which I don't quite follow. I had an AstroVan AWD and thats a big sucker that had one in it. But the engine is well enclosed all around and it get much hotter around it with little space or airflow. That not the case with this or other SUV's hence the confusion on that subsection.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #24 of 29 Old 06-11-2010, 01:46 AM
Administrator

I had the engine oil cooler as well, but that comes with the trailer tow package, designed for vehicles equipped for towing as it is expected that those engines will be under a heavier load than just noraml, day to day driving.

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #25 of 29 Old 06-11-2010, 12:31 PM

Yes the manual give you an extra 1000lbs rating for the cooler. Few people order them and putting them on afterward is more of a pain from what I saw unless the shop is very familiar with the process. I don't expect to tow more than 1500lbs anyway and that in the Winter (environmentally cooled then right!!).

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #26 of 29 Old 06-13-2010, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
Yes the manual give you an extra 1000lbs rating for the cooler. Few people order them and putting them on afterward is more of a pain from what I saw unless the shop is very familiar with the process. I don't expect to tow more than 1500lbs anyway and that in the Winter (environmentally cooled then right!!).
Did the cooler install in the driveway took about an hour, that included draining the coolant, the oil installing all the new hoses, cooler itself and new oil filter and new oil and then reusing the coolant. Not that bad of a job if you have all the tools. I tow a 1700lb pop up trailer so I just wanted to be covered for warranty issues but 1500lbs should be cool especially in the winter.
post #27 of 29 Old 06-13-2010, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleyd View Post
Did the cooler install in the driveway took about an hour, that included draining the coolant, the oil installing all the new hoses, cooler itself and new oil filter and new oil and then reusing the coolant. Not that bad of a job if you have all the tools. I tow a 1700lb pop up trailer so I just wanted to be covered for warranty issues but 1500lbs should be cool especially in the winter.
I haven't checked here yet but what they hit you for the cooler kit?

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #28 of 29 Old 08-30-2010, 05:31 AM

same thing with mine 07 80k miles

Life is great when cruisen with a Beagle dont leave home without one

07 jeep compass sport
4x4 2.4 16-valve dual vvt
cvtII/ 111,00 miles
customer preferred package 26E
post #29 of 29 Old 07-09-2012, 05:41 PM

Mine is a Jeep Compass 2008 and it is doing the jerk now.

How can I fix it?

Is it covered by the life-warranty?

Thank you

Jeep Compass 2008 Silver
Automatic 4x2
96000 Km

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in