topping up engine oil - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 04-03-2007, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

topping up engine oil

I've had my compass for about 4 mths. now. a few days ago I checked the engine oil level. I checked it while cold on level ground. The oil level was exactly half way in the safe section on the dip stick. So I added almost half a liter which brought it to the very top of the safe crossed section. I'm hoping I didn't add too much. The manual says the level should be about halfway, but reading other website information, they say you should top it up to the full mark. I'm wondering if it's okay to have the level right at the full mark, or a little above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Just had the dealer perform my first oil change, and the level was up to full. Too much oil presents its own set of problems, as does too little, but you should be fine with that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #3 of 7 Old 04-04-2007, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

about oil level

Thanks for your reply cherokee. I appreciate it and feel more at ease now. I'm also wondering how much oil overfill would be a problem for the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-04-2007, 04:00 PM
Administrator

This is a different engine, but same fundamental principle, i.e. too little oil equals not enough lubrication of critical engine components, increasing friction, which increases heat and engine wear. However, by the same token, running your Compass, for example with the oil level up to full on the oil level indicator, particularly when breaking in a new engine, assists in helping seals to seat properly, but with too much oil, you run the risk of blowing seals. After all, it is a fluid under pressure, and if there is too much pressure, it will find a way out, either through a seal or, in some worst case scenarios, through the crankshaft. As with my '91 Cherokee, I have had many many oil problems, everything from the CCV to rear-main engine seal and valve cover gasket/rocker cover. So, in that one, as long as I am between full and add, I have found that that level works the best. Just keep it at full, and you should be fine; the dealership told me that was the best thing to do. No need to add oil everytime it dips slightly below the line, but any noticeable drops, or if it is more frequent than what could be considered normal, I would get it checked out. Just remember, how far and how long you drive, etc. plays a role.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #5 of 7 Old 04-21-2007, 07:13 PM

While reading the Owners Manual (yes some males do read the Owners Manual) it said to only check the engine oil when the engine is warm. So I checked it when it had sat overnight, it showed just a hair above the add line. I went to get the mail, checked it when the engine was warm, right even with the full line. This is different for any other vehicle I have ever owned.

farout
post #6 of 7 Old 06-07-2007, 10:37 PM

Well after it sits for a few minutes your oil level will rise. but what makes me scratch my head is why your having to "add" oil on a brand new suv?

with these "safe" ranges for dipsticks I like to put the oil right around the E in safe.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-08-2007, 01:48 AM

I personally have not had to add any oil. At my first oil change it was down only enough from the full line to even tell it has used any oil. At 5,550 miles it is not noteworthy to even mention how little oil has been used.

I can tell you if you check your oil when it's not warm it will show it needs oil, as I checked this out and as odd as it seems the Owners Manual is right.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in