Engine Light - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 16 Old 04-09-2007, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Engine Light

Well my engine light came on yesterday, 8900 km.
Pulled over, checked the oil, coolant and they were both fine. My tank is almost empty, and the fuel cap was on securely. I have booked an appointment for tomorrow, and I will update on the diagnostic and solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-10-2007, 04:53 AM

that happened to me the first week of owning the compass, then after like two weeks i started having problems with starting the car, they might not be able to find anything wrong with the car as they didnt find anything wrong with mine but just exaggerate a little and they will move some wires around and dissapear that little light
post #3 of 16 Old 04-10-2007, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Took the Jeep in today, I knew that they would say that it was the O2 sensor.
This happened with my last car too but it was after 2 years.

They have to order the O2 Sensor in, so it will be a few more days before I know for sure if this is the real problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 12-01-2007, 08:21 AM

my engine light came on at 13000km. It's cold out, -20C...was plugged in, and is also garaged. hope it's nothing serious.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-08-2008, 04:24 PM

Re: Engine Light

Hmm my Jeep just hit over 8900 and my check engine light came on. I haven't made an appt yet but I'm thinking that is more than likely the same issue.
post #6 of 16 Old 02-09-2008, 07:40 PM

I've got about 25K on my Compass and no CEL / MIL yet!

CEL=Check Engine Light
MIL=Malfunction Indicator Lamp
from http://www.obd-codes.com
post #7 of 16 Old 02-12-2008, 02:00 PM

I have an apprt this Saturday to take it in. I'll let you all know how it goes and what's the issue. I'm guessing it's and O2 sensor. Same thing happened on my neon to.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-13-2008, 03:34 AM

Don't take it to the Dodge dealer on Main St, they will tell you it is normal for that light to come on. LOL
post #9 of 16 Old 02-13-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender
Don't take it to the Dodge dealer on Main St, they will tell you it is normal for that light to come on. LOL
No..We got it from the Points West dealer (Wpg Jeep Chrysler). Taking it back there.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-16-2008, 04:32 PM

Re: Engine Light....Update

So I was told that there is nothing wrong with the vechile, the problem is a result of a 'Ambient Air' Temperature sensor. The Compass apparently has 3 temperature sensors installed; one in the oil, another in the coolant, and another in the engine compartment (ambient). The computer monitors a 3 sensors and if they are out of sequence a check light comes on. Because the temperature here has been below -40c with the windchill, the ambient air temperature sensor has been saying that the engine compartment is too cold compared to the oil and the coolant.

I was told that there is new flash for the diagnostics system coming out next month.
post #11 of 16 Old 02-17-2008, 10:41 PM

That sounds like one of those, this could be a pain to fix problem, so we will just clear the code and hope it never comes back, answers.
post #12 of 16 Old 02-19-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender
That sounds like one of those, this could be a pain to fix problem, so we will just clear the code and hope it never comes back, answers.
Basiclly it's one of those things where a good designs for the southern US doesn't work for Canada.
post #13 of 16 Old 02-19-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rommel543
Basiclly it's one of those things where a good designs for the southern US doesn't work for Canada.
I've seen those ideas before!!!!
post #14 of 16 Old 03-28-2008, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rommel543
I have an apprt this Saturday to take it in. I'll let you all know how it goes and what's the issue. I'm guessing it's and O2 sensor. Same thing happened on my neon to.

Hi Rommel543. One of my first posts on here was my concern for the engine lite coming on. The told me too it was the 02 sensor. It took them 4 attempts to change it. As they would change it, reset the computer and I would take it home, just over a couple hundred miles and it would come on again. It turns out that there is more than 1 sensor on the Compass and they kept changing the same one.

I hope it works for you. I have nearly 10,000 miles on mine and the only other issue I have is the creeking sound it makes at a slow turn.

Other wise, we love it.

Valerie
post #15 of 16 Old 03-28-2008, 02:06 PM

Hi Valerie,

Mine wasn't the O2 sensors, although I had that problem in my Neon before. The service guys hooked up the computer to my car and found that the BIOS is an old version.

The Compass has 3 temperature groups that it reads from; Oil, Engine and Ambient (engine compartment). If one is out of range from the others than it says there is something wrong and the check engine light comes on. It's an excellent idea except they designers didn't take into account that it gets to -40c in the winter in Canada. So the Oil and Engine temp sensors say one thing while the ambient is getting -40 air blown across it causing it to say the engine is overheating.
post #16 of 16 Old 05-28-2010, 10:58 PM
Gus

my MIL was on and off every other week since buying my compass in December of 09 I assumed temp sensor but was told it was a loose air intake letting air in that shouldn't be coming in, and if it happened again to come back to the dealer, and when it did... I did... only to be told in a hush voice by the girl at the service counter to take it somewhere else I had a warranty and I would be better off.
Lovely to hear from a place I just spent 15 grand for a used car.
Annoyed I put it off as long as possible cause every time I thought about it I would get pee'd off. It wasn't until the warm weather hit that I noticed my coolant was low, the reservoir always looked full in the winter because the thermostat was closed. 5 bucks for a quart and the check engine light hasn't come on since; I continue to watch it though, I don't want it to be leaking or burning, that would be a much bigger problem; so far everything looks good!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in