4WD gives up - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 Old 03-07-2014, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

4WD gives up

Hello

I am getting rather irritated with my Jeep Compass 2010 North Edition. It's got the 4WD system with the trigger handle in the center console.

When I get stuck (which, honestly, happens repeatedly each winter because I wasn't smart enough to just buy a truck, and the snow drifts get rather crazy in our town, and the Compass isn't heavy enough to plow through it even though it's got decent clearance), it will try for a bit (won't shift fast enough to really rock it out, try with and without traction control) and then eventually the car freaking gives up. I can put the accelerator down as much as I want, but the engine limits out at a low RPM (~1500) and the wheels don't even try to turn (I've watched when my husband was trying to get it out one time, and not one wheel turned when it pulled this stunt, so it wasn't one slipping and the rest not moving).

Anyone else experience this? It's in at the dealership, but I expect to hear the same thing that they're telling me about the starting difficulty - "There's no code, so we don't know what's wrong".

I bought a 4WD. I expect it to keep trying to get unstuck, not give up. Last time it did it, I was home for a quick lunch and backed onto the street and got stuck on 6" of snow (wasn't hung up, just couldn't go anywhere). My brother laughed at me when I got him to pull me out. In fact he's still laughing at me.

Guess I need a truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-08-2014, 03:02 AM

Garage
Is this a 4WD Compass all the time with the option to shift into what I consider the 4x4 low, or just a 2WD compass with 4x4 lockout? I'm also guessing you have a dedicated set of snow tires? Because if you are riding on 4 season tires all year long then you've already diagnosed your problem. I live down here in northern utah and make trips up the mountains all the time. I personally wouldn't use 4X4 low on anything but steep offroad grades. I find with a good set of snow tires and getting your RPM's higher when trying to get unstuck, is the best way to do it. Momentum is everything in the snow. As long as you can stop, it doesn't matter how crazy you drive.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-08-2014, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Make sure anytime you are going through difficult terrain you turn esp fully off. You can do this by pushing and holding the esp icon below the radio down until it chimes, and then it will shop "ESPOFF" where the odometer is. That will ensure that engine power is not cut when you are trying to spin the tires and get out of difficult situations.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-14-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler-98-W68 View Post
Make sure anytime you are going through difficult terrain you turn esp fully off. You can do this by pushing and holding the esp icon below the radio down until it chimes, and then it will shop "ESPOFF" where the odometer is. That will ensure that engine power is not cut when you are trying to spin the tires and get out of difficult situations.
I'd have to agree with this as a must do. ESP is there to keep you under control on pretty much bare but slippery roads. In deeper snow and/or approaching drifts you'd want it permanently off. It won't let you spin the tires etc and the CVT is a beast unto itself being electronically controlled.
If in 2WD the 4WD will automatically engage if a partial slip is detected or should engage.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in