Extremely Loud road noise from rear tires - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 35 Old 03-28-2010, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Extremely Loud road noise from rear tires

Hi everyone!

I am new to the forum! I have a 2007 Jeep Compass limited 2wd. Over the past year I have experienced horrible road noise coming from the rear of the car. I replaced the tires in may of 09 w/ Yomkahama's and just a month ago replaced the tires again related to cupping on the front tires. I went with the Yokohamas again but a higher end version. The cupping noise was quite significant on the front and has been alievelated with the new tires. I still continue to have extremely loud road noise coming from the back end. It's to the point where I can't her my daughter talking in the back seat. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Help please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 03-28-2010, 10:40 PM

Garage
Compasses seem to be sound magnifiers for tire treads. However, don't forget to check the wheel bearings.
post #3 of 35 Old 03-29-2010, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Good point Sky, the wheel bearings came to mind for me, too.

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 03-30-2010, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

I was! Right rear wheel hub assembly.... so basically the righ wheel bearing. Had it replace today and boy what a difference! Feels and sounds like a new car!
post #5 of 35 Old 03-30-2010, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

Sky is a champs when evaluating problem in here..........you should start to charge maybe !!!!!!! LOL

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 35 Old 03-30-2010, 11:35 PM

The Firestone low profiles 17" that come with mine can be very noisy or very quiet depending on the pavement I am on. I have driven from on strip to another and the road noise is day and night difference. I am not a fan of this brand but will bear with it until I wear them out enough to justify new ones.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #7 of 35 Old 03-30-2010, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with you Trip on this one, Firestone are not my favorite brand,,,........BTW welcome to the forum and have been reding your posts.........you seem to have a lot of knowledge and\or opinions on issues ...are you a mechanic or an engineer ?

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

post #8 of 35 Old 07-18-2010, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osidecutie View Post
I was! Right rear wheel hub assembly.... so basically the righ wheel bearing. Had it replace today and boy what a difference! Feels and sounds like a new car!

We have this exact issue also, guess I should have it looked at. Do mechanics like having people sugest what is wrong or is it just a personal thing? By that some will be annoyed and others will like the tip.

Did you fix this yourself and what did it cost?
post #9 of 35 Old 07-18-2010, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Guess it depends on the tech, I've seen some that appreciate the tip and some who feel you're stepping on their toes if you give them your diagnosis.

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

post #10 of 35 Old 08-12-2010, 10:56 AM

Well I was right and they didn't seem to mind the info, cost $138 for the assembly and $150 for labor.

2007 Compass 4X4 blue & slow
1969 Charger RT 440 auto 4:10 sure grip & manual everything
2010 Jeep Wrangler
post #11 of 35 Old 08-14-2010, 06:29 AM
Administrator

Cool greenpigs, glad it worked out for you!

- Cherokee

post #12 of 35 Old 10-04-2010, 06:33 PM

jeep compass firehawks cupping just like dodge caliber and patriot

I stumblled across this site and others after i plugged in tires cupping on caliber and then compass. I could not believe that so many people have the exact same noisey and cupping tire complaint i have!!! This is astounding!! Worse yet my gas pedal stuck a couple times!!!.. Is it time for chrysler to begin recalling??? Come on this cannot be so commonplace!!! And even after you replace!!!!
post #13 of 35 Old 10-04-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Hi everyone!

I am new to the forum! I have a 2007 Jeep Compass limited 2wd. Over the past year I have experienced horrible road noise coming from the rear of the car. I replaced the tires in may of 09 w/ Yomkahama's and just a month ago replaced the tires again related to cupping on the front tires. I went with the Yokohamas again but a higher end version. The cupping noise was quite significant on the front and has been alievelated with the new tires. I still continue to have extremely loud road noise coming from the back end. It's to the point where I can't her my daughter talking in the back seat. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Help please!

YES!!! I HAVE 4 wheel drive and if you google cupped tires you find that so many people including patriot and dodge caliber drivers are having this same issue with CUPPING TIRES AND ROAD NOISE!!!!!!!
post #14 of 35 Old 10-04-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
SO I have had bad wheel bearings since I bought the vehicle? Somehow that does not sound right. I have already replaced my tires once.
post #15 of 35 Old 10-13-2010, 12:54 PM

Thumbs down Rear end noise Jeep Compass

I thought it was something in the trunk.
Turns out it's the upper control arms in the rear.
They're crap! Along with all the other suspension parts, front and rear.
My Compass has 82,000 KMs and I'm on the 3rd set of tires. Just cost me $1300 for new front end. My Honda still running fine after 245,000 kms.

Since the platform for this vehicle supports 5 different models, it more likely that the Compass and Patriot just won't work with this set up.
Chrysler is famous for trying this scheme. It's designed to produce a "cheap" car at an affordable entry level price. However down the road, as it were, you'll end up paying for it. Brakes are crap and cost a fortune to replace.
Hard to believe $90.00 for brake pads the size of a "post-it-note".
Calipers and rotors are as cheap as you get on a car.
Bottom line...........don't buy one!
post #16 of 35 Old 10-13-2010, 01:01 PM

Compass , Hecho en Mexico

Why don't they build them in Ontario?
Canadians would have jobs and we'd have a better vehicle.
Thanks Brian for "free trade".
By the way he drives a Mercedes!
post #17 of 35 Old 10-13-2010, 08:35 PM

Winter tires. The General Altimax Artic have excellent feedback in tests performed. See video for yourself. http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index...=47&tab=winter

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #18 of 35 Old 02-17-2011, 05:21 PM

jeep compass 2008 rally 4x4

Quote:
Hi everyone!

I have had the same problem with the loud noise and they have not resolved the issue. Also in certain condition my brake pedal and acelarator does not work properly. I have to pump the brake to make a complete stop even if I am traveling at speeds of 10 to 15 miles per hour
post #19 of 35 Old 02-17-2011, 07:04 PM

Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedcompass View Post
I stumblled across this site and others after i plugged in tires cupping on caliber and then compass. I could not believe that so many people have the exact same noisey and cupping tire complaint i have!!! This is astounding!! Worse yet my gas pedal stuck a couple times!!!.. Is it time for chrysler to begin recalling??? Come on this cannot be so commonplace!!! And even after you replace!!!!
Our gas pedal and brake pedal get stuck during certain conditions usually when there is snow present or a lot of water.
post #20 of 35 Old 02-19-2011, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Our gas pedal and brake pedal get stuck during certain conditions usually when there is snow present or a lot of water.
i almost rearended a car on the lakeshore 2 weeks after i got the car the pedal was stuck. WOT!!!!!!!!!!!! i have gone thru 3 sets of tires all new front suspension still have a f'ing vibration tires are cupping and really loud. check your rear trailing arms mine have failed on me causing negative camber

2007 jeep compass
2WD 2,4L
190,000 km (Always in the shop)
Recently Overhauled every link/bushing in the front/rear
20% tint on windows
Lamin-X smoked tail lights
Painted all silver interior trim satin black.
I strongly Reccomend You Don't buy a Jeep Compass!!!!

Last edited by Cherokee; 02-20-2011 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Language
post #21 of 35 Old 02-20-2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Why are you driving it!!! Take it to a dealer and make sure the document the symptom as above and if not fixed. Contact your regulator for safety EG Ministry of Transportation or whatever. They'll be on it like white on Black or Black on white whatever works.

I went true that with a Mazda MPV 4x4 where the read axle would disengage on lockup and I cannot count how many intersection me or my wife went through with the foot on the brakes. If felt like I was on glare ice. I traded it in at the end of the warranty. It was a real lemon and never never never will I buy a Mazda anything every again. I spent a lot of hard earned money and really got screwed by their engineering in that vehicle and always in the garage.

Report it when I did I had a government rep meet me in 48 hours for a drive test and ORDERED manufacturer to service the problem. Yes ordered them and I got a call from them to address it.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #22 of 35 Old 04-03-2011, 05:39 PM

We have an 07 compass and although not deafening the road noise is bad. I noticed that the carpet doesn't extend back past the rear seat and it's bare metal from there to the back of the trunk. Add to that the plastic "floor" over the spare tire well and road noise is not surprising.
I plan on stripping the interior this summer and spraying some type of sound proofing on the floor. Possibly lizard skin.
post #23 of 35 Old 02-17-2012, 01:20 AM

That is so crazy that you had to replace your wheel bearings. I had the same issue. My Jeep Compass 07 was SO loud in the back. Brought it in and two new bearings later.... And one month later the two front went out and the lower control arm and ball joints. I swear some of these jeeps have the same crappy parts go out at the exact same time.
post #24 of 35 Old 03-28-2012, 04:05 PM

Be sure to check the balance if you have 18" wheels

I had the cupping problem with the OE tires on a new 2007 Compass 4X4 Limited with the chrome?/aluminum wheels. 24,000 miles later I found out at a third party shop that a special rig is required to balance the tires since they are plastic clad. The conical insert normally used only contacts the plastic and the tire appears to balance but is not balanced on the road. With the correct adapter the tires balance and did not cup (20,000 mi. since).
post #25 of 35 Old 04-04-2012, 04:04 AM

Garage
mee too I have extreme noise from the back.. the dealer did tons of test and find nothing wrong so they said its my tires LOL

I changed my tires... same problem.

now I just wait till it explod haha

Jeep Compass 2008 Manuel
16x8 Unique Series 42, +12 offset with Goodyear UltraGrip Ice 235/60/16
DynoMAX custom dual-exit catback
Mopar spoiler and tail light guard
post #26 of 35 Old 04-04-2012, 12:39 PM

I have what I'd call a howling noise and my ears its from the rear. I been told twice its the tires. The first time they rotated them (charged me to do that) as there was some cupping on the front. Driving it two days ago at non highways speeds I could hear it and swore it was not the tires and could be a bearing or....? I may be able to hear something if I jack it up and spin the wheels now but the dealer did not before. Its far far too eary to have axle bearings go. Most vehicles never have to change them. I certainly have not so why on this. Thought the power train warranty was the fulldrive train. But was told power train is the Engine and transmission only. Bugger, mislead it seems.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #27 of 35 Old 04-04-2012, 01:30 PM

Garage
the bearing is under waranty of the engine/trans ?

Jeep Compass 2008 Manuel
16x8 Unique Series 42, +12 offset with Goodyear UltraGrip Ice 235/60/16
DynoMAX custom dual-exit catback
Mopar spoiler and tail light guard
post #28 of 35 Old 04-05-2012, 12:04 AM

Internal bearing of the engine and transmission are but beyond that it appears not.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #29 of 35 Old 04-06-2012, 04:54 AM
Administrator

trip, that sounds like bad wheel bearings to me. I'd jack it up and check for play in the wheels to see, not going to be a good day if they go out on ya.

- Cherokee

post #30 of 35 Old 07-31-2014, 10:56 PM
Rok

Garage
Nice to read that some are experiencing the same issues as we are with our 2013 Compass Latitude. We bought it new in March 2013. With less than 5k miles on it I took it back to the dealer for, the growling that was coming from the rear area. They said it was "normal road noise". To me, it sounded like a bearing, so I ordered two new hub ass'ys from NAPA and replaced the left rear. No change. Now the Compass (my wife's commuter) has 27k miles on it. I change the oil and rotate tires every 5k or less, faithfully. Went to the grocery store with her last night and was ALARMED at how LOUD the noise has become. She's gotten used to it. I can't; it sounds like the rear end is going to detonate any minute. I'm due another oil change and will once again rotate the tires, which look to have 50% or more tread left. I'm planning to go with a Michelin tire once these wear out. Interested in what others are doing to correct this rear noise issue and which tires are working best to keep noise levels down. If this Jeep didn't work so well in the nasty winter weather (nothing short of remarkable), I'd be looking to replace it... Thanks all,
Rok
SW WA State

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in