I am the only one with rear drum brakes? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 05-05-2010, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Smile I am the only one with rear drum brakes?

Just looking to upgrade the rear brake shoes on my 09 Compass and am having a hard time finding some
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-11-2010, 02:55 PM

Might be due to being too new. Early for brake wear out especially on the rear which typically last several from brake jobs. It could be the same as on the Calibre but anything with ABS (you won't have it then) with have rotors on the rear.

You may have to visit the dealer or machine your existing drums depending on your reason for needing them.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Can't help you with this one...... mine has 4 disk brakes with ABS........is it a 4X4 or 4X2 ?

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-12-2010, 03:46 AM
Administrator

Guess that's news to me, too, didn't know they went with drums in the back.....

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #5 of 10 Old 05-16-2010, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
Might be due to being too new. Early for brake wear out especially on the rear which typically last several from brake jobs. It could be the same as on the Calibre but anything with ABS (you won't have it then) with have rotors on the rear.

You may have to visit the dealer or machine your existing drums depending on your reason for needing them.
They are not worn out but I tow a trailer sometimes in the summer and was looking for something a little more heavy duty as towing tends to put more stress on the rear brakes especially if the trailer doesn't have brakes.
But my Compass does have ABS, so did my sunbird way back when it had drum brakes in the rear as well. It was something I didn't check when I picked the vehicle up. Silly me had just assumed all newer cars had discs all around.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-16-2010, 07:02 PM

Garage
I haven't looked at my brakes but I'm wondering if the brakes are drum in hat for the parking brake and disk for the regular brakes.

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #7 of 10 Old 05-16-2010, 07:14 PM

Garage
I did some digging and found out some info about the brakes, this is what the book says:

Brake System ABS 4-wheel disc hydraulic, power-assisted,11.5" vented front/10.3" solid rear Std. Limited and/or 4WD system

ABS-ventilated front disc, rear drum Std. 2WD Sport

I have to assume you have the 2WD version if there are drum brakes.

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #8 of 10 Old 05-17-2010, 01:52 PM

Well it seems to me that your ABS is only on the FRONT. Not the rear brakes, I have never seen ABS engineered to work a drum shoe system. The can't be pulsed the same way.

You could confirm with the a dealer as well.

Unless you are towing over 1500lbs the existing brakes should work fine. If going through the Rockys though you want to baby them when possible so you don't overheat them and force them too fade out. If the trailer load is 2000lbs or more it should have electric or surge brakes on it.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #9 of 10 Old 05-17-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleyd View Post
They are not worn out but I tow a trailer sometimes in the summer and was looking for something a little more heavy duty as towing tends to put more stress on the rear brakes especially if the trailer doesn't have brakes.
But my Compass does have ABS, so did my sunbird way back when it had drum brakes in the rear as well. It was something I didn't check when I picked the vehicle up. Silly me had just assumed all newer cars had discs all around.
You would think that all new cars would have discs all around! But my friend who has a 2009 Mazda had drums on the rear. Thats one thing i made sure of when i bought the compass.. disc brakes on all four wheel.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-17-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage246 View Post
You would think that all new cars would have discs all around! But my friend who has a 2009 Mazda had drums on the rear. Thats one thing i made sure of when i bought the compass.. disc brakes on all four wheel.
Yeah, I did you just have to look through the wheel spokes and see the rotor and caliper. then verify it has ABS as well.

I had a Mazda MVP 4WD van once. It said equipped with ABS. However, they neglected to say ABS = Antilockup REAR braking System. No brake pulsing it just backed off on the pressure to the rear wheels only to prevent them from skidding. this also affected the front pressure although it was not suppose to. My wife and I near hit numerous time going through intersections or near misses because it would not stop on quick hard braking. Slippery roads made the brakes suicidal. After near heat failure once. I installed a ABS disable switch on the dash. Turned them off and dumped the vehicle after 5 year warranty was up. I swore never to buy another Mazda again not only for that by the numerous power train repairs also done regularly to keep it on the road. I was to be my dream machine. But alas it came of the horror production line instead.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in