Oil Change today - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 18 Old 06-12-2010, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Oil Change today

I went into work early this moring and did my second oil change 5521 miles and rotates the tires. I was making my service book and noticed they want the air filter replaced at 12,000 miles. Has anyone put a K&N drop in filter in and know the part # for a 2.4L? I'm using Castrol 5W-20 for now but will go to Synthetic after 10,000 miles.

2011 Compass Latitude ,28B ,Freedom Drive II Off Road Group, Sun & Sound ,,Bright Silver,Husky Liners,Mopar Molded Flaps,Xpel clear door edge guards, Stainless Steel exhaust tip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-13-2010, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMPASSDL View Post
I went into work early this moring and did my second oil change 5521 miles and rotates the tires. I was making my service book and noticed they want the air filter replaced at 12,000 miles. Has anyone put a K&N drop in filter in and know the part # for a 2.4L? I'm using Castrol 5W-20 for now but will go to Synthetic after 10,000 miles.
Not sure of the part number but I put a drop in filter in mine after the first 5000km. It did make a very tiny improvement in MPG but the biggest gain in throttle response and it appears a little more powerful. Nothing to peel the paint off but I noticed it especially pulling my pop up trailer. Plus the added bonus of never having to change an air filter again. I clean mine once a year as I don't drive off road.
Good luck

PS Syntec is very good. If you are near a Costco up here in Canada its only 47 bucks to have them change it surely its cheaper south of the border as most things tend to be.

Wes
post #3 of 18 Old 06-13-2010, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Wesley said:
Quote:
Not sure of the part number but I put a drop in filter in mine after the first 5000km
I say what ???? excuse my ignorance but what is a drop in filter ?

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 06-13-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel for life View Post
Wesley said:

I say what ???? excuse my ignorance but what is a drop in filter ?
It is just a panel air filter like OEM except made by K&N and washable its not the cold air intake. That a lot of people have.
post #5 of 18 Old 06-14-2010, 01:46 AM
Super Moderator

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh thank's ......

Laugh uncontrollably...
Have a wonderful day!

post #6 of 18 Old 07-03-2010, 03:22 PM

Just returned from a long week of driving and returned directly from Montreal. I noticed when I was their I had 5000km since I changed it last. It must be close to 6k on it now and the indicator to change has not come on. Dahhh way too long for my liking.

Dealers want $8 for the Mopar filter after market seams to be hitting the same point for poor brands even at part stores. Wix is pricey but are they better than the OEM. If I have to pay that I might just as well use the Mopar. Chysler cannot say I am using an inferior filter down the road.

I went to NAPA and picked up there Napa Select filter. I just finished the oil change and will change it again in about 5k km or less. Their Gold filter is twice the $$$ and maybe for the winter when there is more crud buildup from cold starts etc.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

Last edited by tripplec; 07-03-2010 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Picked up a filter.
post #7 of 18 Old 07-04-2010, 01:25 AM
Super Moderator

You were in Mtrl and didn't tell me ?????

We could have met somewhere................tell next time maybe we can hook up. Makes beautiful pictue for the forum......

Laugh uncontrollably...
Have a wonderful day!

post #8 of 18 Old 07-04-2010, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
Just returned from a long week of driving and returned directly from Montreal. I noticed when I was their I had 5000km since I changed it last. It must be close to 6k on it now and the indicator to change has not come on. Dahhh way too long for my liking.

Dealers want $8 for the Mopar filter after market seams to be hitting the same point for poor brands even at part stores. Wix is pricey but are they better than the OEM. If I have to pay that I might just as well use the Mopar. Chysler cannot say I am using an inferior filter down the road.

I went to NAPA and picked up there Napa Select filter. I just finished the oil change and will change it again in about 5k km or less. Their Gold filter is twice the $$$ and maybe for the winter when there is more crud buildup from cold starts etc.
Manual says 10000k between changes, I do mine at 5000km as well and get it done at costco for 49 bucks with castrol syntec.
post #9 of 18 Old 07-05-2010, 12:11 PM

Please pardon my ignorance, but can someone explaine why Syntec style oil is so different?
Tks

Tony

2009 Silver Northern Edition
Picked up Spring 2010

Go Sens Go
post #10 of 18 Old 07-05-2010, 04:57 PM

Garage
it's a synthetic oil. The big draw is that it doesn't break down as quickly as conventional oil. There is some leakage problem with synthetic sometimes because it will swell the seals differently than conventional oils but that can be remedied by adding a quart of conventional oil to the synthetic each change.

2009 Jeep Compass North 4X4, Sunburst Orange

Everyday as a child i used to pray to God to give me a jeep. After a couple of years i realized that God did not work that way. So i stole a jeep and asked for HIS forgiveness
post #11 of 18 Old 07-21-2010, 03:11 PM

Garage
i switched mine over to the mobil 1 when i did the brake caliper painting, and i must say i was a little dissapointed that i couldnt find a mobil 1 filter for this engine. so i got old faithful fram with the grippy end.

whats the preffered brand of oil filter on the forum?

Beep Beep I'm a JEEP!
(O[][][][]O)
post #12 of 18 Old 07-21-2010, 03:23 PM

While any oil changed is better than no or too long an interval. Fram is the same boat. Better than nothing. I used a NAPA filter on my last change & there is a NAPA Gold but just under $10 which is about the same as the Mopar price.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #13 of 18 Old 07-21-2010, 05:02 PM

Garage
A filter is a filter is a filter. Actually, a generic filter is better than an advertized brand name. Wal-Mart filters are for the most part better at filtering than STP or Fram. Look it up yourself!
post #14 of 18 Old 07-21-2010, 10:01 PM

Just gonna throw my two cents in here. I change my oil every 4,000 miles and use Valvoline fully sythetic oil. I don't worry about filters either. Whatever is cheap and looks good. On my old car I did the same and had that damn thing at 60,000 - 150,000 miles with no problems at all. So hopefully the Jeep will do the same (Started at 26,000).

Mods: Cargo Net, Chrome Tail light Covers, Chrome Fuel Door, Billet Grille (Upper and lower bumper), Chrome Door Handles, Chrome Hood Vents, Vent Shades, Jeep Mud Flaps, Slushee Floor Mats, Windows Tinted, Kenwood X994 Deck, K&N Cold Air Intake.

Future Mods: Audio System, Cool Future Ideas that I get from the Forum of course.
post #15 of 18 Old 07-22-2010, 08:42 PM

I guess that also depends on how good this 2.4 block is. I had not heard of it before not that I was checking. It has enough HP for my uses and more than the much bigger Caravan I sold after getting this.

All right everyone get ready now.

Change your Oil and fluids, go go.. quickly change it!!

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #16 of 18 Old 07-25-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyeye View Post
A filter is a filter is a filter. Actually, a generic filter is better than an advertized brand name. Wal-Mart filters are for the most part better at filtering than STP or Fram. Look it up yourself!
Fram uses cardboard in the filters that could breakdown and be pulled into the motor. Found that out looking it up myself.
I use WIX filters on the other two cars and I got Mobil 1 synthetic oil 5W 20 & a Mobil filter from Advance Auto. It was on sale for $40 and was for 5 quarts so I got some extra.

2007 Compass 4X4 blue & slow
1969 Charger RT 440 auto 4:10 sure grip & manual everything
2010 Jeep Wrangler
post #17 of 18 Old 08-21-2010, 08:31 PM

Don't know about the air filter...but one note on synthetic it burns faster but is worth the extra cost
post #18 of 18 Old 08-21-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdradioguy53 View Post
Don't know about the air filter...but one note on synthetic it burns faster but is worth the extra cost
Burns faster? Clarify, you have to add oil? If so it too then a getting by somewhere. 5w20 is already very thin I would go with 5w30 in synthetic at minimum. I am currently running that in Dino oil (Quaker State).

What make of Synthetic are you using and grade?

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in