Replaced a few parts now i have the 4x4 light - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 Old 05-27-2014, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Replaced a few parts now i have the 4x4 light

so i replaced the inner and outer tie rod, driver lower control arm and both rear bearings and now i have a 4x4 light. The light is off on initial start up and i can switch in and out of 4x4 with ease but when i drive down the road for a couple of minutes the 4x4 light comes on. its not showing any fualt codes, is there any way to narrow down the cause so i dont have to bring it to the dealer and get ripped off. i dont get any abs lights or anything but a couple times pulling out of a business turning left i had traction control come on for no reason. thank you in advance.

2007 jeep compass 2.4
i got a full alignment done after the tie rods.

Last edited by ootransamoo; 05-27-2014 at 11:24 PM. Reason: forgot to put in year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-28-2014, 12:29 PM

I've document the details long ago in my thread on doing that repair. I ran into it myself and figured it out.

Virtually 99.9% with tie rods being removed your Steering wheel alignment is off!!! This causes the problem of faults on those dash lights. When driving straight your steering wheel at this time will NOT be straight or level depend on how you relate to that position. With the wheel **** eyed the computer thinks you're in a skid or something. LOL and actives the stability systems you see on the dash.

You have to jack it up and adjust the outer tie rod thread in or out until you steering wheel is level when going straight. Only then will it go out. It took me at least four times to get it right again even though I counted the threads as I turned out the old tie rod. It ended up wrong.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-28-2014, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

i got an alignment done right after the parts install, it drives strait and theres no other lights on other then the 4x4 light. wish this compass had some type of way to pull the fualt codes for the 4x4 without going to the stealer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-28-2014, 01:32 PM

If your steer wheel is not straight the skid and other lights come on!! As I said go down a side street slowly and hold the wheel level if its off, you'll head left or right a lot. I not talking about a wee bit.

The other way is doing the same but hold the wheel to where the vehicle tracks straight and look down at you steering wheel. If its not level then if not aligned properly.

Just because you got an alignment does not mean its done correctly. They may not have done the steering wheel alignment which is fundament to the process.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-28-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ootransamoo View Post
i got an alignment done right after the parts install, it drives strait and theres no other lights on other then the 4x4 light. wish this compass had some type of way to pull the fualt codes for the 4x4 without going to the stealer
Can you turn off 4x4 with the T-switch on the console? Its a toggle switch. If 4x4 is coming on by itself it implies that a slip is detected since it automatically is activated!!

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #6 of 9 Old 05-28-2014, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

intially when i turn on the car everythings normal i can switch in and out of 4x4 but after driving for a few minutes the 4x4 warning light comes on saying theres a problem.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-28-2014, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
If your steer wheel is not straight the skid and other lights come on!! As I said go down a side street slowly and hold the wheel level if its off, you'll head left or right a lot. I not talking about a wee bit.

The other way is doing the same but hold the wheel to where the vehicle tracks straight and look down at you steering wheel. If its not level then if not aligned properly.

Just because you got an alignment does not mean its done correctly. They may not have done the steering wheel alignment which is fundament to the process.
steers great, no creeping anyway with flat surface.. i got a print out aswell showing before and after wheel alignment; which looks good
post #8 of 9 Old 05-28-2014, 04:30 PM

Well if as I said its coming on by itself and cannot be turned off while driving. Something is wrong.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #9 of 9 Old 05-30-2014, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

wish my scan tool im using would tell me if a sensor is bad or something, when i get time i will be testing each speed sensor to see if one is bad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in