Towing capacity and Payload - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 14 Old 06-17-2014, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Towing capacity and Payload

I called Jeep 1-800 number to answer would I would assume would be a fairly easy answer for them. My parents have a Compass, and know their towing capacity is 2000 lbs. I see the payload capacity is 1,160 lbs. I wanted to know simply if we could tow the boat and still have the 1,160 lb payload capacity.
She then proceeded wanting the vin number, I told them I didn't have that. Then she wanted their name and zip. Then I had to verify their address as if I or they did something wrong. She then puts me on hold again and questions me on the hitch, were it was installed and what class and so forth because they didn't have record of it. I'm like you guys sold it to them with it. she then told me the class ratings and amounts you can tow with them. She said it could have from a class 1 to a class 4 with a 10,000 tow rating. I'm like 10,000, she said's yes, I ask on a Jeep Compass, and she said yes. She seriously thinks your going to tow 10,000 lbs with a Jeep Compass. I told her it must be the class 1 because its 2000 lbs they can tow with it. She told me I had to contact the dealership and she didn't have that information.
Seriously? They don't know if its tow capacity plus payload or tow capacity minus payload. But she knows it can tow 10,000 lbs. Like I am going to trust a salesman that didn't even sell them the right Jeep to began with and didn't know the correct options. But I can sure as hell know that If I told them something they thought may have voided the warranty they would let me know then. Here all this time I though GM was bad. Jeep really hires some brain dead people.
So after all that, I'm sure I can get a quick and easy number without sending in a birth certificate and police record to get an answer.
Is the capacity of both the towing and payload, or do I have to subtract the payload from the towing?
Say I want to haul a 2000 boat and a other 1,100 lbs of camping gear and people. or am I over capacity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-17-2014, 11:11 PM

towing capacity

It depends, on a lot. Since you not even provided the year, options, power train of the Compass. Its all guess work. 10k Lbs not on this planet period.

A base CVT compass is 1000lbs and up to 2000lbs IF and a big If you have the optional cooling package/option and that is the MAX 2000lbs. having towed a few times I can tell you that wind drag brings it to its knees. A boat is more streamlined so the impact is less and also braking will be a lot longer and harder. You have to adjust you driving habits for sure. 2000lbs is NOT standard. Check your owners manual it will tell you specifics.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-18-2014, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Depends on a lot of what? Shouldn’t matter if it’s a 2007 or a 2014. Shouldn’t matter if it’s a 2.0l, 2.2l, 2.4l. Shouldn’t matter if it’s a 5 speed, 6 speed, or CTV. Do you need my blood type too? The color of the Jeep is red if that matters.
In all seriousness, the Jeep lady was provided all this information. Yet none of it is needed for the question to be answered. Year does not matter, engine size does not matter, transmission type does not matter, and nor does my address. Its really not a complicated question here, but I seem to be getting the run around.
The Tow Capacity is Rated 2000 lbs and the Payload Capacity is Rated 1,160. Lets say for fun this is a 1956 Jeep Compass with a blue door on the left and red on the right. It has 1 doom light that weight a half an once. Oh ya, and a electric radio with 8 track player.
Again one last try to clarify it. The Tow Capacity is Rated for 2000 lbs and the Payload capacity is for 1,160 lbs. Does this mean I can tow a 2000lb boat along with hauling 4 people weighing say 720 lbs and another 440 lbs of gear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 06-18-2014, 12:40 AM

Every vehicles owners manual has always cover that scenario. I've been towing for over 4 decades with every type of vehicle. The manual is the definite guide with the facts.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-18-2014, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

First, I would like to apologize if I came off as a jerk in my prior post. I am having a bad day. Tired of dealing with stupid people all day, and in a extremely whole lot of pain. I know your only wanting to help.
I don’t have the owners manual available. I don’t live with my parents. My father is wanting to take the other vehicle which is a nono at this point. We heard some serious engine noise last time we towed the boat. It happened under load and concerned me. I think I will end up having to rebuild the engine. It may just be something was rattling, but I don’t think that was it. And I certainly don’t think we should be driving the F150 on a long trip with the boat, camping gear, 4 people and a dog on a long trip. And don’t really have the time to rebuild the engine and have it done anytime soon. He’s scared to even tow with the Jeep. This is part of the reason he got the Jeep in the first place. He got the upgraded model that is trial rated with the towing package to handle 2000 lbs. A quick check into it I was able to find that the boat, trailer, sand two motors puts us just shy of 1800 lbs. I’m not sure what all of our gear weighs at this point yet. I will need to find this out. I don’t want to tell him oh yea, its plenty capable of handling the boat and our gear if its not. But I also don’t want him thinking he cant do it if he can. Our trip maybe require 2 vehicles now at this point. Also, even if he is hell bent on taking the Ford, I want to be sure we have a backup plan with the Jeep if needed and not be 700 miles away with a boat and all our gear and no backup plan.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-18-2014, 02:26 AM

Fare enough DAFLY

Then you should consult it here. Most things can be downloaded. Some dealers service departments also helpful. No guessing though.

Jeep Owners | Download an Owners Manual 2004 - 2011 | Jeep

Good luck.

I'd be concerned about the noise.

NOTE. The towing package has an OIL COOLER & its for the Engine Oil and not the Transmission !!!! Hence using synthetic oil with a quality filter EG Wix (what I use) will help a lot. IMO

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #7 of 14 Old 06-18-2014, 05:10 PM

Ok as per MY manual this is it. The numbers may change slightly however the computation is the same.

Total Load is = Combined weight of occupants, cargo & Tongue weight of the trailer
Addition roof carriers etc are added here as well.

As for the trailer (in my case 1000lbs) w/max 22 Sq Ft front. If tow prep option then the front increases to 32 sq ft and 2000lbs w/ AC.

They specify not to exceed either the GAWR or GCWR of the vehicle so I guess its possible to affect the towing load with well loaded occupants or chubby ones toating huge purses etc. LOL

I most cases the GAWR will not be exceeded but a well loaded Compass with a trailer appears taxing to the vehicle and the CVT labours at a much higher RPM on the highway almost always. I haven't tow more that 500lbs yet and minimal internal cargo.

In my opinion the cooler is of little necessity when towing in the winter due to the cold hauling snowmobiles for example. However, synthetic oil is recommended (by me) due it superior characteristic when very hot and no sludge risk. The CVT has a cooler behind the rad along the bottom which is standard.

Most people will have a 100-300lb tongue weight depending on the setup since 10% -15% of the trailer weight is shifted to the front for stability. Although no mention is given to climbing hills and/or steep grades. I know from experience this is very hard on the power train. A lower gear selection will help save a transmission and/or engine from overheating.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #8 of 14 Old 07-04-2014, 10:55 AM

i cant speak for you guys 'over the pond' but i have a 2.2CRD limited manual which is a 4x4.
all of the towing details are in the manual.

max hitch load is 100kg (220lb)
max towing weight is 2000kg (4416lb) (this is the point the car throws in the towel) the max tow weight is on the cars log book, this is not a jeep document but a uk government department document that is the cars registration)

the kerb weight of the car is only 1680kg (3702lb).

what is not in the manual is that towing safety rules state that the max load for towing is 85% of the cars kerb weight. so a maximum of 1428kg.

my 2.2crd makes 263bhp and 320 NM torque.

i tow a caravan of MRO1050 and MPLM 1280kg (it is never loaded to this though).

my compass can tow it comfortably up to the uk towing limit of 60mph (and more) and deliver 29mpg (imp gallons)

however, you can see that i take it no where near its towing capacity but the caravan can jolt the car around and side winds effect it badly. i guess this is normal for towing something 7m long 2.4m wide and 2.5m high.

i wouldnt want to exceed 85% of the cars kerb weight, it would not be safe in my opinion.

i guess this is meaning less to you guys with FWD and CVT (automatic transmission). i guess the cooling package everyone mentions is for the auto transmission since my car runs at a normal temperature whilst towing.

anyone else in the UK tow with a compass?
post #9 of 14 Old 07-04-2014, 12:33 PM

Not detail but I am guessing you're in the UK.

The cooler for increased towing is for the engine oil, yes oil. The CVT equipped has a cooler behind the rad at the bottom. But you don't have that in a Manual gear box.

That's a lot of weight. Sway bars are used on bigger trailers and anything over 2000lbs inclusive requires trailer brakes which you're should have even there. You won't stop worth a hoot without them and will definitely end up in a ditch sideways are jack knifed with it pushing you. For proper setup min 10% -15% of the trailer weight goes to the hitch (a must or fish tailing at highway will occur).

Being diesel and manual transmission you're not going to be affect by what we have to do. The north American builds are 1000lbs rated unless the tow package is installed which had the referred to oil cooler giving 2000lb ability. I towed about 600lbs with mine and the brakes are barely adequate and gas mileage drops like a stone. 15mpg at best but likely worst even with an near empty small trailer with minimal wind drag.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #10 of 14 Old 05-30-2017, 04:17 PM

Red face Sarrah T

hi - I have a jeep compass 2015 sport 4WD automatic I was wondering I could tow a 1979 tent trailer?
post #11 of 14 Old 05-31-2017, 11:50 PM

Garage
1000 lbs towing capacity with out a oil cooler other wise you can tow 2000 lbs
so the only question you have is how much does you trailer weight?

2016 Jeep Compass Latitude
2.4L with 6 speed Automatic Transmission
----------------------------------------------
2000 Jeep Cherokee with Snoway plow
4.0L with Auto Transmission
----------------------------------------------
1970 Opel Gt
1.9L with Standard Transmission
post #12 of 14 Old 06-12-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compassjake View Post
i cant speak for you guys 'over the pond' but i have a 2.2CRD limited manual which is a 4x4.
all of the towing details are in the manual.

max hitch load is 100kg (220lb)
max towing weight is 2000kg (4416lb) (this is the point the car throws in the towel) the max tow weight is on the cars log book, this is not a jeep document but a uk government department document that is the cars registration)

the kerb weight of the car is only 1680kg (3702lb).

what is not in the manual is that towing safety rules state that the max load for towing is 85% of the cars kerb weight. so a maximum of 1428kg.

my 2.2crd makes 263bhp and 320 NM torque.

i tow a caravan of MRO1050 and MPLM 1280kg (it is never loaded to this though).

my compass can tow it comfortably up to the uk towing limit of 60mph (and more) and deliver 29mpg (imp gallons)

however, you can see that i take it no where near its towing capacity but the caravan can jolt the car around and side winds effect it badly. i guess this is normal for towing something 7m long 2.4m wide and 2.5m high.

i wouldnt want to exceed 85% of the cars kerb weight, it would not be safe in my opinion.

i guess this is meaning less to you guys with FWD and CVT (automatic transmission). i guess the cooling package everyone mentions is for the auto transmission since my car runs at a normal temperature whilst towing.

anyone else in the UK tow with a compass?
Honestly, in the most of the cases I see petrol and diesel Compasses like two different cars, not only due to fuel differences but the engine designs!
Great post, thanks for sharing it.

~Small Jeep with Big-Benz heart~
2014 Compass CRD 2.2 Limited, Tuned & Debadged
MB DOHC 16v I4 twin-turbo
@
;
@
;
235/55R17 @
8Jx17 ET35;
@

post #13 of 14 Old 03-15-2019, 12:27 AM

mr f wasmer.

check your jeep specification: Gross combined mass (car load and trailer all included)
post #14 of 14 Old 05-04-2019, 09:54 AM

It depends, on a lot. Since you not even provided the year, options, power train of the Compass. Its all guess work. 10k Lbs not on this planet period.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in