Transmission Noise - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 15 Old 08-10-2010, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Transmission Noise

A few months ago, I noticed some noise comming from the transmission. This usually occurs when I'm driving very slowly (under 15 mph) and I tap the gas pedal. It sounds like a grinding noise and it lasts for about half a second.

I took it to the dealership. They said that it came from the steel belt in the transmission, and that it was normal (there wasn't any noise in the first 10 months). They also said that they received a bulletin about this issue. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

I drive a 2009 Compass, 2.4L CVT, 18 000km.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-10-2010, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

First I must welcome you to the forum.......Glad you found us........I'm assuming you are fom New-Brunswick ????

Let us know what happens......

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-13-2010, 09:22 PM

Noise

My 2009 Jeep Compass is experiencing the same noise. The dealer also told me that there was a bulletin and there would be a software fix to resolve the issue. The noise started around 10k miles. I'm having a hard time believing that a software fix will resolve the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 08-13-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moncton Compass View Post
A few months ago, I noticed some noise comming from the transmission. This usually occurs when I'm driving very slowly (under 15 mph) and I tap the gas pedal. It sounds like a grinding noise and it lasts for about half a second.

I took it to the dealership. They said that it came from the steel belt in the transmission, and that it was normal (there wasn't any noise in the first 10 months). They also said that they received a bulletin about this issue. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

I drive a 2009 Compass, 2.4L CVT, 18 000km.
2007 jeep compass does it after vehicle is warm i had the tranny replaced. it is the engaging and dis engaging sound its really annoying and i cannot figure it out

2007 jeep compass
2WD 2,4L
190,000 km (Always in the shop)
Recently Overhauled every link/bushing in the front/rear
20% tint on windows
Lamin-X smoked tail lights
Painted all silver interior trim satin black.
I strongly Reccomend You Don't buy a Jeep Compass!!!!
post #5 of 15 Old 08-14-2010, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Welcome Moncton Compass and NECompass! I haven't heard about this particular issue, what kind of bulletin is out on it? TSB or recall? I don't see where a software update is going to fix it, either, but be sure and keep us posted!

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #6 of 15 Old 08-17-2010, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, guys.

NECompass, I'm glad you posted that they are looking to issue a software fix. At least they acknowledge that this is not "normal" and they're trying to do something about it.

I don't know if anyone is aware of the Nissan Rogue situation. It is similar to what is happening to us at the moment regarding this problem. The CVT in the Rogue is nearly or completely identical to the Compass/Patriot CVT. While lurking on some of their forums, it seems that the Rogue was making the same noise that we're having. Nissan dealerships, at first, couldn't "hear" the noise. After a while, Nissan said that the noise was "normal". After that, they swapped the old CVT's for a "new and redesigned" CVT. This appeared to fix the problem...for a while. A number of the new CVT's worked perfectly, but some we're still making the noise. Nissan then stopped swapping CVT's and issued a software fix. The same thing happened. It worked for the majority, but a few still had the noise, but now it was a different speeds. Now, Nissan is saying that the issue is hit or miss. Some CVT's do it, some don't. They're again working on a fix. Nissan also extended the CVT warranty to 120000 miles/200000 kms.

I don't know what the future holds for Compass/Patriot owners, but hopefully it includes an extended CVT warranty.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-18-2010, 04:28 AM
Administrator

Some very interesting info there Moncton, I wasn't aware that the Rogues were having similar problems. Still doesn't look like they're any closer to figuring out the problem, but I agree, extending the warranty would definitely be helpful.

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #8 of 15 Old 05-12-2014, 10:26 PM

My father-in-law has a 2008 Compass with 128k km (79k miles) on it, and a noise - sounds like a rattle coming from the front end.

He's now taken it to the indy mechanic and the dealership (Orangeville Ont Canada), both recommended a new transmission. No mention of the software fix, or the redesign on the CVT.

Moncton, any update since 2010?
post #9 of 15 Old 05-15-2014, 09:09 PM

Garage
I am experiencing the same noises. The dealership said they would check it for $85. My dad has been working on vehicles for 48yrs and he says it is coming from the transmission when first gear engages. I have a lifetime power-train warranty. Will my warranty cover it? The dealership can't tell me til I pay them $85.

Murry
post #10 of 15 Old 05-16-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liebekatz View Post
I am experiencing the same noises. The dealership said they would check it for $85. My dad has been working on vehicles for 48yrs and he says it is coming from the transmission when first gear engages. I have a lifetime power-train warranty. Will my warranty cover it? The dealership can't tell me til I pay them $85.
They can't tell you because until they diagnose it what it is, so they can't tell you if it is covered or not. Here's some info from a warranty book supplement:

LIFETIME POWERTRAIN LIMITED WARRANTY
A. Who is Covered?
You are covered by the Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty if you are the first registered owner or lessee for use of the vehicle. Subsequent owners or lessees, even if they are within the same family or business, are not covered. Successor business entities or persons to whom the vehicle is transferred by operation of law are also not covered.
B. What’s Covered
The Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair a powertrain component listed in section E below that is defective in workmanship and materials. There is no coverage for towing in the event of disablement.

C. When It Begins
The Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty begins at the end of the Basic Limited Warranty.
D. Excluded Vehicles
SRT vehicles, Sprinter vehicles, diesel equipped vehicles, all Ram Cab/Chassis vehicles, rental vehicles and government vehicles are not covered. Vehicles used as a police vehicle, taxi, limousine, postal delivery vehicle, or ambulance are not covered by the Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty.
E. Parts Covered
The Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty covers these parts and components of your vehicle’s powertrain supplied by Chrysler Motors LLC:
Gasoline Engine: cylinder block and all internal parts; cylinder head assemblies; timing case, timing chain, timing belt, gears and sprockets; vibration damper; oil pump; water pump and housing; intake and exhaust manifolds; flywheel with starter ring gear; core plugs; valve covers; oil pan; turbocharger housing and internal parts; turbocharger wastegate actuator; supercharger; serpentine belt tensioner; seals and gaskets for listed components only.
Transmission: transmission case and all internal parts; torque converter; drive/flex plate; transmission range switch; transmission control module; bell housing; oil pan; seals and gaskets for listed components only. NOTE: MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH PARTS ARE NOT COVERED AT ANY TIME.
Front Wheel Drive: transaxle case and all internal parts; axle shaft assemblies; constant velocity joints and boots; differential cover; oil pan; transaxle speed sensors; transaxle solenoid assembly; PRNDL position switch; transaxle electronic controller; torque converter; seals and gaskets for listed
components only. NOTE: MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH PARTS ARE NOT COVERED AT ANY TIME.
All Wheel Drive (AWD): power transfer unit and all internal parts; viscous coupler; axle housing and all internal parts; constant velocity joints and boots; driveshaft and axle shaft assemblies; differential carrier assembly and all internal parts; output ball bearing; output flange; end cover; overrunning clutch; vacuum motor; torque tube; pinion spacer and shim, seals and gaskets for listed components only.
Rear Wheel Drive: rear axle housing and all internal parts; axle shafts; axle shaft bearings; drive shaft assemblies; drive shaft center bearings; universal joints and yokes; seals and gaskets for listed components only.
Four-Wheel Drive (4X4): transfer case and all internal parts; transfer case control module and shift mode motor assembly; axle housing and all internal parts; axle shafts; axle shaft bearings; drive shafts assemblies (front and rear); drive shaft center bearings; universal joints and yokes; disconnect housing assembly; seals and gaskets for the listed components only.
F. When Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty Does Not Apply
You are not covered by the Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty if you are a second or subsequent owner of the vehicle.
G. Inspections
In order to maintain the Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty, the person or entity covered by this Powertrain Limited Warranty must have a powertrain inspection performed by an authorized Chrysler, Dodge, or Jeep dealer once every 5 years. This inspection will be performed at no charge. The inspection must be made within sixty (60) days of each 5 year anniversary of the in-service date of the vehicle. You must have the inspection performed to continue this coverage.
H. Other Provisions of This Powertrain Limited Warranty
All other terms of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty including the Section 1 (Your Rights Under These Limited Warranties) and Section 3 (What’s Not Covered) apply to this Powertrain Limited Warranty.
This document supplements the warranties and conditions described in the vehicle’s Warranty Information book.
No other coverages are altered or extended based on this supplement.

Last edited by JeepCares; 05-16-2014 at 02:50 PM.
post #11 of 15 Old 06-09-2014, 04:47 AM

My 2008 Compass' CVT had to be replaced at 75K miles. Thank god for the Lifetime Powertrain warranty! It would have been $3k+ to get that done if out-of-pocket.

Our symptoms were a steadily increasing "rough" or metallic noise like a bearing going bad or something. Eventually the tranny overheated and went into "limp" mode on the highway with my wife driving. Scared the crap out of her.

Chrysler took care of it all, gave us a rental car, and out-of-pocket was a big fat goose egg! $0

The new tranny has 40K miles on it now, and so far so good.

I will say this: After this experience (first tranny replacement EVER in one of my vehicles - and I'm 50 years old!), I think I'll pass on any CVT equipped vehicle in the future - if possible. I haven't minded the quirky way it drives, but reliability is paramount in my book. And as an owner of cars and a truck that have ALL gone way over 100K miles without ANY tranny issues, and then reading threads like this, it's apparent that these transmissions are NOT on par with the good old 3,4, and now 6/9 speed traditional geared automatics.

-CSM
post #12 of 15 Old 06-09-2014, 04:06 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompassSportMan View Post
My 2008 Compass' CVT had to be replaced at 75K miles. Thank god for the Lifetime Powertrain warranty! ...

I will say this: After this experience (first tranny replacement EVER in one of my vehicles - and I'm 50 years old!), I think I'll pass on any CVT equipped vehicle in the future - if possible. I haven't minded the quirky way it drives, but reliability is paramount in my book. And as an owner of cars and a truck that have ALL gone way over 100K miles without ANY tranny issues, and then reading threads like this, it's apparent that these transmissions are NOT on par with the good old 3,4, and now 6/9 speed traditional geared automatics.

-CSM
Horseshoes, you're lucky for sure. That warranty was only offered to US buyers and not Canadian sales. We get shafted on warranties as well it appears. I asked a dealer once and confirmed not in Canada!!!

I agree on durability is paramount. I've done fluid changes in automatics and towed all my life pretty much. I never lost an automatic transmission. Won't buy any vehicle with CVT again either for reliability reasons and cost. I asked once about it and was told you don't want to know. Which means its a death blow to the Compass if it ever fails out of warranty. More than the vehicle would be worth I am guessing. Oh I am on my 2nd CVT as well.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #13 of 15 Old 09-04-2015, 05:54 AM

Garage
I have Jeep compass sport north edition 2009 2.4L CVT with about 135,000 km on it.
The noises were faint in the beginning but for about 10 months, the noise has increased and now it is bothering me so I am going to the woodbine dealer in Markham, ON tomorrow to get it checked out. When I first start the car and drive off, I hear a clunk at around 20 km/hr and while decelerating after engine has heated up properly, I hear the grinding noise same as what everyone is describing here.
Let's see what the dealership has to say. I bought it in 2012 so it is not under warranty If I have to replace the CVT, I might as well sell it and get whatever money I can before the transmission craps out.

Will keep you guys posted!
post #14 of 15 Old 09-04-2015, 12:34 PM

I found Bannerman Motors on Don Mills Rd the best in the area. Used Woodbine a number of times but not impressed with them. Good luck

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #15 of 15 Old 09-14-2015, 04:24 AM

Garage
New transmission quoted

So I dropped off my 2009 Jeep Compass FWD Sport North Edition 136k km at the Woodbine dealership. From 8:30 am till 11:30am, they took their time to diagnose. I get a call around 11:45am that they don't hear any noise. I got furious and went to the dealership with one of my colleagues whom I had explained the situation earlier and he had heard the noise before.

I took my colleague and the mechanic on a ride and he immediately started hearing the noise... we took it to an empty parking lot to emphasize the noise. To isolate the problem to transmission, we tried it in reverse and in neutral. The noise only came while in forward drive. He agreed that it is transmission and since they don't do any parts or servicing for Jatco CVTs, they quoted a new transmission + labour of $4200.

Going to trade this in with a dealer for something non-american with more reliability and less big-ticket issues.

P.S. Also started seeing rust bubbles on rear right section just above the wheel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in