Compass Gear Ratio - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 3 Old 10-01-2014, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Compass Gear Ratio

Morning All,

I am in need of assistance. I acquired a 2007 Compass 2.4L with CVT. When I got the car it would drive fine in straight lines, but when attempting to turn in a parking lot the driveline would bind up and the front tires would start skipping. Pulled the transmission pan and the fluid was red. I was able to pull a transmission and PTU out of a wrecked car, swapped them out, put in new CVT fluid (within proper range according to dealer dipstick). But my problem still persist, can't turn in parking lots.

To me it feels like I have two different gear ratios, front to back. I pulled the drive shaft and capped the PTU. Car drives a million times better, no hesitation and it turns freely.

Any insight would be of assistance, I was hoping this would be a simple fix for a cheap winter car.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-01-2014, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Here is how the 4x4/AWD system works.

Power is always transferred to the rear end via the PTU, which turns the driveshaft which goes into the rear differential. Just forward of the rear differential is the ECC (Electronically controlled clutch) it kicks in under many variables (Speed, accelerator position ect) or when you pull up on the t-handle marked '4x4 lock"

When the vehicle is doing this, is the 4WD light illuminated In the display. To me it sounds like the ECC is on all the time, basically locking the rear tires to the front and causing the binding. Is there anyway you can take a video of what is happening.

The is another option you could try, there are 2 ABS fuses, if you pull 1 you lose the ECC which makes the vehicle FWD only, but still with the driveshaft connected to the rear. If you want to try this let me know and I can get pics of which fuse to pull.

This is a very interesting problem, because the ECM should be monitoring for any binding in the drivetrain.

As for your question about gear ratio, all the PTU's across each model are the same gear ratio.

Since you have the cvt you should have a 6.12:1 rear diff ratio.

The only other issues is if you pulled a Transmission out of a donor vehicle which had the FDII offroad option, excect those were only on the 2007+ Patriots and 2011+ Compass' they had the 8:135:1 gear ratio

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

Last edited by Tyler-98-W68; 10-02-2014 at 01:11 AM.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-04-2014, 01:09 PM

Ouch, CVT won't cause binding in turns or such. It just supplies the driving force to the power train. Double ouch... on all that work. I hope you used CVT Jeep fluid which is pretty sensitive to the amount needed.

Anyway, you've put no background information. when did this start doing this or did you just buy this Compass with the problem.

Most likely the electronic stability system is being activated. Disabling via the dash switch or as Tyler suggests pull the related fuse so it cannot run.

How is the steering wheel when driving straight down a street. Is it level or tilted one way or the other to go straight?

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in