transmission problems at 80k miles - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 11 Old 08-30-2010, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

transmission problems at 80k miles

about a week ago a rattaling sound from the engine compartment has my wife wondering if she chose the right veihicle.We couldnt figure it out so i told her to take it to aamco "only because diagnostics are free" and they told her it was the trany making the noise.At first she thought they where tring to runn a bill up but instead they told her they would call the dealership and see if they can do it under some kinda of warranty thing.Next day she took it to dealer who said trans is fine but has an engine oil leak from the pan "whitch i had already told her and that i would fix it on the weekend" but instead told them to fix it $628 labor and $60 for parts and still has the rattaling sound and every once in a while i can feel it tring to jump forward while betwwen shifting points what to do

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Life is great when cruisen with a Beagle dont leave home without one

07 jeep compass sport
4x4 2.4 16-valve dual vvt
cvtII/ 111,00 miles
customer preferred package 26E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-31-2010, 05:09 PM

Must be nice she has the money. Eh...So the dealer never addressed the noise problem either. A jug of oil would have topped up the engine until you could look into it. How many miles on this and engine.

As a nubbie its best to put all the info relating to your ride in the signature. Then it in every post and we know what you're driving, asking about. Is the power train warranty over and if not by much. Jeep will cover the CVT in most cases even still. Maybe that dealer is not customer focused. She or you should go back to the dealer and waive that bill at them. Tell them that was not what is was brought in for and it had nothing to do with the problem it was brought in for as well as the shifting issue. See if they pull up their socks and actually do something for you.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-01-2010, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
Must be nice she has the money. Eh...So the dealer never addressed the noise problem either. A jug of oil would have topped up the engine until you could look into it. How many miles on this and engine.

As a nubbie its best to put all the info relating to your ride in the signature. Then it in every post and we know what you're driving, asking about. Is the power train warranty over and if not by much. Jeep will cover the CVT in most cases even still. Maybe that dealer is not customer focused. She or you should go back to the dealer and waive that bill at them. Tell them that was not what is was brought in for and it had nothing to do with the problem it was brought in for as well as the shifting issue. See if they pull up their socks and actually do something for you.
hey bud im having an issue with my transmission aswell sounds very loud and i noticed the lines going to the cooler are leaking. im sick of the dealers in my area what dealer did you say you have had luck with? i have been dicked around at most places in toronto because of my age they think im stupid or something.

2007 jeep compass
2WD 2,4L
190,000 km (Always in the shop)
Recently Overhauled every link/bushing in the front/rear
20% tint on windows
Lamin-X smoked tail lights
Painted all silver interior trim satin black.
I strongly Reccomend You Don't buy a Jeep Compass!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-02-2010, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=tripplec;11087]Must be nice she has the money. Eh...So the dealer never addressed the noise problem either. A jug of oil would have topped up the engine until you could look into it. How many miles on this and engine.

As a nubbie its best to put all the info relating to your ride in the signature. Then it in every post and we know what you're driving, asking about. Is the power train warranty over and if not by much. Jeep will cover the CVT in most cases even still. Maybe that dealer is not customer focused. She or you should go back to the dealer and waive that bill at them. Tell them that was not what is was brought in for and it had nothing to do with the problem it was brought in for as well as the shifting issue. See if they pull up their socks and actually do something for you.[/QUO

Being a newbie and all Your advise on signature was helpfull so hows my sig now

07 jeep compass sport
cvtII/ 111,00 miles
post #5 of 11 Old 09-02-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackman View Post
hey bud im having an issue with my transmission aswell sounds very loud and i noticed the lines going to the cooler are leaking. im sick of the dealers in my area what dealer did you say you have had luck with? i have been dicked around at most places in toronto because of my age they think im stupid or something.
Well the two that I have visited are:
Woodbine Jeep Chrysler (Woodbine Ave south of Hwy 7) Markham
Aurora Chrysler - Just north of Aurora Rd and Yonge St East side
(they are a newer dealer and more eager to please)

Looks like the warranty is up though. But if you're low on fluid that will create problems. Getting the leak fixed is the first order of business, fluid, and maybe road test to see where you stand. If its still a problem and you have records of having it looked at much later. Call Chrysler and request this be done on warranty as it should not fail this early.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #6 of 11 Old 09-02-2010, 06:07 PM

Beageldad:
Well Sig is fine, tell us what you have etc.
Looks like you're in California, warranty expired when, what millage. The reason is there may be an opportunity for extended coverage if its not too far from the date or millage. Worth a try though call Chrysler.

From what you are saying there may be two problems.
1) rattling: is it metal tin sound or a heavier knock, cluck of maybe castings, suspension.
Can you create the rattle, going over a bump, road surface specific, start or stopping

2) the "tring to jump forward while betwwen shifting points" could be the transmission unless the engine is surging. You could switch to the select shift mode and manually run through the gears (1-6). I would pick a stretch of road which is long and not busy where you're not pressured by traffic.

Start off in 1st and with normal acceleration shift yourself up to 6th gear. You'll be around hwy speed so the road limit should be 50mph to be safe from tickets. You can repeat the run back and forth or whatever until it either shows up or does not repeatedly. You can do this will mild accelleration EG engine not exceed about 2000RPM, 3000RPM and if over 3000 that would be pushing it. My Compass rarely crosses that in getting up to speed unless a heavy downshift to pick speed on the hwy in a hurry.

If its feels normal. You can go back to AUTO on the stick and see if it does it. There has been many software updates for the computer and modules. The dealer should have hooked you up and check that and updated you to the current release. have that done since you already paid a bomb for current services. If you're not getting reasonable results call Chysler and request this be done and ask who will do it since this particular one is not working in your interest.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #7 of 11 Old 09-02-2010, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

my compass only has D(drive) and L(low) and the sound that i thought at first sounded like one of the serpentine pullys was wabbling so when the engine cooled off I checked them and none were loose when my wife started the next morning i heard a loud wind up sound got under the car while running and the sound was even louder from that vantage point and it was a metal rattaling sound near the exhaust manifold and tranny. i am 98% sure it was coming from the tranny but i have been fooled many times before u all been great look forward to posting with u all soon

07 jeep compass sport
cvtII/ 111,00 miles
post #8 of 11 Old 09-03-2010, 12:07 AM

If you look at the very bottom of the gear shift. There is a - & + signs with Hold for Auto ir such. Tap to + to shift up one gear at at time. You need to push it to the + sign each time. - is down shifting. To return to AUTO matic mode you just hold it agains the +ve directions for a few seconds. You seed the shift number on you dash display change from a number to a D.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #9 of 11 Old 09-10-2010, 03:50 AM Thread Starter

well everyone it turned out to be the alternator so the the wifes compass is back to running great thanks everyone you all have been great with regards to this web site glad to see alot of friendly people having fun with their cars and this site keep up the great work

07 jeep compass sport
cvtII/ 111,00 miles
post #10 of 11 Old 09-10-2010, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Glad we could help.............

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

post #11 of 11 Old 09-10-2010, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

i will check in with you all now and then see if I can help others as well

07 jeep compass sport
cvtII/ 111,00 miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in