Question(s) about Compass 4x4 - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 11-30-2014, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Question(s) about Compass 4x4

Hello folks. Hopefully somebody here can address some concerns I have about a new Jeep.

First of all let me say I have been driving 4x4's all my life. I've had 2 Ford F150 4x4s, a Dodge Ram 4x4, a Ford Bronco 4x4 and an old Jeep CJ 4x4.

On every one of those vehicles you could absolutely tell when the 4 wheel drive was engaged. You could tell a difference in the road noise, the vibration, the feel in the steering wheel. You could feel the vehicle lurch when you went into a hard turn, you could feel it pull its way through the mud, gravel etc......

It's important to me to have a dependable 4x4 vehicle. I'd like to know that I can depend on it to get me to work and home safely when it snows, or if I find myself on icy or muddy situations.

I just recently traded off my old Ford Bronco for this new Jeep Compass and I specifically told the dealer I wanted 4 wheel drive. The owners manual says it's a 4x4, there's a yellow light on the dash that comes on and says 4x4, but I swear I can't tell a difference in the sound or feel of the vehicle. Is this normal? Or is my system just not working?

It doesn't seem to feel any different when I pull the "4 wheel lock" Lever. I don't hear any difference in the road noise. I don't feel any vibration underneath me. There is no "Lurch" when you go into a turn. It doesn't feel any different to me than it does when it's in standard "Unlocked" mode.

I'm not sure I can trust this thing in those situations where 4 wheel drive is needed. I am a bit skeptical at the moment and I wanted to hear from somebody else on the subject.

Is it normal? Is this actually a 4 wheel drive vehicle or just a marketing gimmick?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-01-2014, 12:18 AM

I have a 07 compass. if the front wheels spin, it will send power to the rear wheels. or you may "lock" the center diff with the 4wd button. I believe its only a clutch. it does work, very smoothly with no vibration, noise or any thing else noticeable. I can' tell the difference either way. but I know it climbs some snowy hills that a fwd would at least spin. it will also do some pretty good snowy donuts.
I am a fan of a 4wd lever. you now when its in or out. but so far this seems to work very well.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-01-2014, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Not a "True" 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorton0 View Post
I have a 07 compass. if the front wheels spin, it will send power to the rear wheels. or you may "lock" the center diff with the 4wd button. I believe its only a clutch. it does work, very smoothly with no vibration, noise or any thing else noticeable. I can' tell the difference either way. but I know it climbs some snowy hills that a fwd would at least spin. it will also do some pretty good snowy donuts.
I am a fan of a 4wd lever. you now when its in or out. but so far this seems to work very well.
Thanks for your reply, but I think you may not understand my original post. My Jeep Compass does "NOT" have a 4wd button. It has a Lever that you pull up on.

When I pull up on it, the only thing that appears to happen is a light on my dash "4x4" comes on. I can't tell any difference in driving or handling at all. Normally, when a 4x4 is "Locked In" if you try to make a sharp turn, you can feel the vehicle lurch and bind. That is typical of every 4 wheel drive I've ever driven. This Compass does not do that, so it makes me think 1. It's not engaging at all, or 2. It's not a true 4 wheel drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-01-2014, 01:49 AM

There is no transfer case, it is a 4cyl so no you won't notice the difference like a "true" 4wd. That being said I just got the chance to try my 2014 FDI in the snow and was very impressed and the steering wheel felt a little heavier when 4wd was engaged (just enough to notice). I didn't purchase my compass to go wheeling, just wanted something that I could force from AWD into 4WD as we have about 4 months of snowy conditions where I live. I have the Wrangler SR/A tires and am pleased with the "4WD" system/tires in snowy conditions. My buddy had a '69 dodge powerwagon 4x4 and I don't expect my compass to go where that thing has gone.

2014 Granite FDI 2.4L 4x4 Jeep Compass Lattitude
post #5 of 5 Old 12-02-2014, 04:15 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Didn't get the feedback you wanted on jeepforum I won't post my information on here since you weren't all that appreciative of the information I had to offer there.

Lifted Jeep Compass Hill Climb - YouTube

Or this

Lifted Jeep Compass Articulation and BLD Test - YouTube

Feel free to see some of my other videos showing my compass in a not so good light, I've found the strengths and weaknesses of the MK platform since I've owned them for 6 years.

There are lots of things that hold back the ability of MK's but they also have a lot of capability to. But that doesn't matter right, because

Quote:
Thanks for your videos. It proves my point. This vehicle is not a 4x4, rather a front wheel drive with piss poor performance.
Yup totally piss poor performance, sounds like you are butthurt because your compass didn't turn out the way you thought it should?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in