How has your CVT stood up to time? Pos or Neg feedback welcomed! - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 24 Old 01-11-2015, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

How has your CVT stood up to time? Pos or Neg feedback welcomed!

Hi guys I'm new here, just got an 2014 compass sport with cvt 20K. I love it so far! only been 5 days

I have read so much about the hassle people have had with their cvt but only in earlier models years 2012 and less. I have not seen many complains about 2013 and above.

Want to get a quick overview of you guys experience with you cvt's so far. Please if you can put your Compass year and mileage and positive or negative feedback of your cvt ...services ect.....I will appreciate it

BTW they were going to end the cvt for 2014 but its back in 2015 lol whats up with that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-11-2015, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
CVT is available on certain models still.

I"ve driven a CVT in a Compass for 3 years and a patriot for 4 years I have no complaints about them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Red FDII Jeep Compass Limited
235/75/15 Wranger Territory AT
WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Full Interior LED's + Front/Rear Signal & Backup LEDS

post #3 of 24 Old 01-12-2015, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler-98-W68 View Post
CVT is available on certain models still.

I"ve driven a CVT in a Compass for 3 years and a patriot for 4 years I have no complaints about them.
You have very nice Ride, love the color
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 05-15-2015, 06:42 PM

Hi Carlos, My 2011 Compass CVT is 70000km and today i had my CVT oil change no issues up to now.
post #5 of 24 Old 05-18-2015, 12:28 AM

Garage
Hi,
i got cvt from 2008. no oil change.

when i get the truck on the dealer, they said that this gearbox dont need to change oil (strange!!)

so far everything ok

cheers

Billy (wojeda)

Jeep Compass 2008, 2.4L VVT, 4x4, CVT II

Door Sill Guards Stainless Steel
Hiway 22.5MPG (120Km/h)
City 19.4MPG
post #6 of 24 Old 05-18-2015, 03:23 PM

My 1st CVT was faulty and took over a year of bringing it to the company's attention before they replaced it at about 50,000km. I've not done anything to the 2nd CVT and afraid to tow with it. I use my other vehicle to tow even light loads when I need to.

The fluid is mandated to be changed around 100k - 120, 000km as I recall but certain need to be done at some point with the special fluid from Chrysler. It's listed in the owners manual. If the dealer is saying otherwise I'd be looking for a different dealer and not trust them to do it. Substituting a different fluid is also looking for big problem. These transmissions are extremely expensive to replace I was told already.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #7 of 24 Old 05-18-2015, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I"ve driven the CVT2L for 7.5 years over 2 vehicles, and with the **** and abuse I put through both, haven't had an issue. Yes there will be failures, but it isn't any greater than any other vehicle's transmission.

Statistically there isn't any more CVT failures vs automatics. Also keep in mind that many other vehicles use the same CVT as the compass as well.

WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

post #8 of 24 Old 05-18-2015, 06:02 PM

Did you change fluid in them when you had those. It sound like a different vintage of CVT. I know the newer once got a different model with a lower range gear. Off road package so to speak. In my case its my wifes car so I have a Sante Fe now with a 3500lb tow rating factory built in towing package. It hauls my sled etc about 1500lbs.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #9 of 24 Old 05-18-2015, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Both have mine have been the fdii offroad package. Basically the same cvt but additional programming and different gear ratios. Never changed the fluid on my first one since I traded it in right around the time I was supposed to have it serviced. I'm not even close to the mileage on my 2012 to think about changing it yet.

WK2 Headlight Swap
Magnaflow Muffler

post #10 of 24 Old 05-19-2015, 04:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
My 1st CVT was faulty and took over a year of bringing it to the company's attention before they replaced it at about 50,000km. I've not done anything to the 2nd CVT and afraid to tow with it. I use my other vehicle to tow even light loads when I need to.

The fluid is mandated to be changed around 100k - 120, 000km as I recall but certain need to be done at some point with the special fluid from Chrysler. It's listed in the owners manual. If the dealer is saying otherwise I'd be looking for a different dealer and not trust them to do it. Substituting a different fluid is also looking for big problem. These transmissions are extremely expensive to replace I was told already.
What was wrong with the trans that is needed replaced??
post #11 of 24 Old 05-19-2015, 06:39 PM

It would shudder/vibrate giving all occupants a vibrating feeling just as the vehicle approached a dead stop. Extremely annoying and friends riding with me would ask. What's wrong with your new car? I couldn't get it fixed. They said it was normal. LOL Yeah right. Typically manufacturer excuse. Anyway, I am done with any Chrysler vehicle since being with them since 1972.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #12 of 24 Old 02-02-2016, 07:03 PM

Hello i am new to this forum but i decided to chime in here..I am a veteran mechanic who also happens to manage a large salvage yard.I will tell you that CVT transmissions have a pretty high failure rate.especailly after 100k. In my salvage yard we sell every one of these cvt transmissions we get in for the compass/patriot for $2000, for a used one! When a salvaged part has a high demand and a high price on the market like that it means they have a high failure rate. its basic economics supply and demand.Alot of vehicles have these "Jatco" cvt transmissions and they all have similar failure rates.Just yesterday i decided to buy a 2008 jeep compass with a blown transmission from a friend for $200. yes $200..The car is beautiful and the engine runs great but the CVT transmission is completely shot with 135,000k on it..my friend told me he had the fluid changed at a dealer a month prior to the transmission failing.So with no warranty and he doesn't have thousands of dollars to fix it my friend called me up to get it off his hands. now it up to me to either repair this on my own and maybe sell it, or tow it to my salvage yard for parts.
Ill leave with this..I see alot of people who purchased these vehicles new commenting about how they have not experienced a problem with 60,000-80,000 miles on them trying to speak to the longevity of them..yet i have yet to see any of these transmissions last 150,000 and i doubt one will ever see 200,000 miles problem free.. sure you might get 80,000 or even 100k problem free but keep in mind alot of people drive your vehicle well after you have grown tired of it and traded it in or sold it off to some less fortunate person. Used car buyers generally look for longevity up too and even past 200,000 miles. given the reputation so far it seems these cars will soon hold no value on the used car market..leading to more $200 Jeeps with bad transmissions that either already have or will soon fail..With these CVT's it doesn't seem like an issue of "IF" it will fail anymore..its just a matter of when..

Last edited by honkbomb420; 02-02-2016 at 07:09 PM.
post #13 of 24 Old 02-02-2016, 08:14 PM

I am not surprise since they are said to not be serviceable. Maybe some external controls and cooling components. Anyway I am on my second since I had Jeep change the original one.

I certainly would not recommend someone by a CVT based vehicle instead of a tried and true Automatic tranny.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #14 of 24 Old 02-03-2016, 02:10 PM

Garage
I've read there are high failure rates for these Jatco transmissions, but I disagree on the expected mileage. If you check Cargurus.com, Cars.com and craigslist, you will see Jeep Compass, Patriot, Dodge Caliber and Nissan Rogue vehicles of this year (which use the same Jatco transmission) with high miles on them for sale. Yes, that does not necessarily mean they didn't replace the transmissions but I doubt they all did.

I believe the transmissions could be repaired instead of replaced if there were knowledgeable repair establishments around. I understand that Nissan mechanics can actually repair the transmissions, which sometimes only need a bearing or the belt replaced, instead of just scrapping the whole transmission. The general procedure by Dodge seems to be to just replace the transmission under warranty instead of repairing them.

My 2008 Jeep Compass has a factory transmission cooler installed which I believes helps. Not all of the years had this installed and the 2007 models seemed to have more problems with the transmissions.

Additionally, I did some research on other 2008 SUV's like Rav4s, Ford Escapes, etc and found they had issues as well. I believe any vehicle has issues, it's just a matter of how serious it is.

I believe the key to avoiding the transmission failures on these vehicles may be to change the fluid sooner than the maintenance schedule indicates as the failures appear to be fluid temperature related.
post #15 of 24 Old 02-04-2016, 12:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by honkbomb420 View Post
Hello i am new to this forum but i decided to chime in here..I am a veteran mechanic who also happens to manage a large salvage yard.I will tell you that CVT transmissions have a pretty high failure rate.especailly after 100k. In my salvage yard we sell every one of these cvt transmissions we get in for the compass/patriot for $2000, for a used one! When a salvaged part has a high demand and a high price on the market like that it means they have a high failure rate. its basic economics supply and demand.Alot of vehicles have these "Jatco" cvt transmissions and they all have similar failure rates.Just yesterday i decided to buy a 2008 jeep compass with a blown transmission from a friend for $200. yes $200..The car is beautiful and the engine runs great but the CVT transmission is completely shot with 135,000k on it..my friend told me he had the fluid changed at a dealer a month prior to the transmission failing.So with no warranty and he doesn't have thousands of dollars to fix it my friend called me up to get it off his hands. now it up to me to either repair this on my own and maybe sell it, or tow it to my salvage yard for parts.
Ill leave with this..I see alot of people who purchased these vehicles new commenting about how they have not experienced a problem with 60,000-80,000 miles on them trying to speak to the longevity of them..yet i have yet to see any of these transmissions last 150,000 and i doubt one will ever see 200,000 miles problem free.. sure you might get 80,000 or even 100k problem free but keep in mind alot of people drive your vehicle well after you have grown tired of it and traded it in or sold it off to some less fortunate person. Used car buyers generally look for longevity up too and even past 200,000 miles. given the reputation so far it seems these cars will soon hold no value on the used car market..leading to more $200 Jeeps with bad transmissions that either already have or will soon fail..With these CVT's it doesn't seem like an issue of "IF" it will fail anymore..its just a matter of when..
I'm trying to understand your statement "I will tell you that CVT transmissions have a pretty high failure rate.especailly after 100k. In my salvage yard we sell every one of these cvt transmissions we get in for the compass/patriot for $2000, for a used one!"

If these transmissions have such a high failure rate, then how are you getting workable transmissions to sell? And why would anybody buy a used transmission if they fail at such an early mileage? I can understand that some are from wrecked cars but..........

I think if I have issues with my transmission I'll either take it to a Nissan repair shop (these are Nissan transmissions and I've heard they can repair them) or I would spend a little more money and buy a brand new one (around $3200).
post #16 of 24 Old 02-05-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdsjeep2008 View Post
I'm trying to understand your statement "I will tell you that CVT transmissions have a pretty high failure rate.especailly after 100k. In my salvage yard we sell every one of these cvt transmissions we get in for the compass/patriot for $2000, for a used one!"

If these transmissions have such a high failure rate, then how are you getting workable transmissions to sell? And why would anybody buy a used transmission if they fail at such an early mileage? I can understand that some are from wrecked cars but..........

I think if I have issues with my transmission I'll either take it to a Nissan repair shop (these are Nissan transmissions and I've heard they can repair them) or I would spend a little more money and buy a brand new one (around $3200).
You obviously must not understand how the salvage industry operates. then..75% of the vehcles we take in are collision vehicles,and yes every good CVT transmission we have ever had comes from a collision vehicle purchased at an insurance auction.I have one on the shelf right now with 16,000 miles on it for $2000, most Driveline parts are usually good from a collision vehicle, or as we say in the business "well it was good up to the point of Impact." but its not uncommon to see late models come in without collision damage,But they have expensive drive line issues and for whatever reason the owners got rid of them. usually because they simply cant afford to fix them. $3200 for a transmission isn't pocket change to most people.
I'm not sure why anyone would deem it acceptable to have to purchase $3200+ CVT transmission for a vehicle that currently blue books at $3700. That's why i'm junking the one i just got. Its a shame but its simply not worth the hassle. its becoming the story more and more often as these CVT vehicles age..
Also Nissan doesn't repair them, No one does.they replace them with new units, and they send the original back to "Jatco",who happens to be the same manufacturer of these shotty CVT transmissons for Nissan,Chrysler/Dodge/JEEP And Mitsubishi.At Least Nissan recently extended the Warranty on Jatco units to 120,000 miles promising to replace them with updated units and is holding Jatco more accountable going forward. this is because Nissan owns 75% stake in Jatco and these units have hurt Nissan's reputation of being a long lasting dependable brand. But if you aren't the original owner or if the CVT fails at 121,000 the warranty will do you no good. Chrysler has offered no such help and just denies there is even a problem with them..so as someone who knows better Ill take anything with a conventional transmission over a CVT any day and gladly drive it to 250,000 plus miles on its original drive line..

Last edited by honkbomb420; 02-05-2016 at 06:38 PM.
post #17 of 24 Old 02-05-2016, 10:17 PM

I am wondering what the dealers actually do for the 120k service other that change the fluid. I have not hit that yet on mine but do have a seal leak so some of the fluid is lost. Without the special tool there is no way to know where it is at. Currently there aren't any drive ability issues.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #18 of 24 Old 02-08-2016, 03:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
I am wondering what the dealers actually do for the 120k service other that change the fluid. I have not hit that yet on mine but do have a seal leak so some of the fluid is lost. Without the special tool there is no way to know where it is at. Currently there aren't any drive ability issues.
I bought a universal dipstick from Ebay that has measurement increments and charts are available to determine where the fluid level should be at depending on the fluid temperature.

I've also read that you can use your oil dipstick to measure the fluid level. Apparently, if you measure when your vehicle hasn't been running and the ambient temperature is around 60-70 degrees, the fluid level should be within the "safe" mark of the dipstick.
post #19 of 24 Old 04-25-2016, 03:38 PM

Garage
CVT fluid change

So I went ahead and changed my CVT fluid and filter in my 2008 Compass with 87K on it. It was fairly easy and I spilled very little as I loosened all the bolts a little, then loosened the rear ones more to let the fluid drain into a container, marked in 1 quart increments. I drained out 5.5 quarts.

Before I started draining, I used the special dipstick I have to measure the fluid. At 35 degrees outside and with the car not being started all night, the fluid measurement was 50MM. After I put 5.5 quarts of new fluid in, the measurement is 55MM. I've seen other people post in the Patriot and Compass forums indicating there is 7L or 7.5 quarts for a fluid and filter change. The Jatco transmission manual I have states 7L or 7.5 quarts. Wonder why the difference? I'm pretty sure my level was correct prior to the work because I had it at the dealership a few months ago for replacement of two cooler lines and they said the fluid level was OK.

Anyway, there is a noticeable difference with the new fluid and filter. The CVT makes much less noise, especially going up hills at 3000 RPMS. I can climb steep hills much easier too!

I would definitely recommend changing your fluid and filter every 60K even if you are not towing, etc.

BTW, I used 2 quarts of Nissan NS-2 fluid that I had purchased earlier and 3.5 quarts of Valvoline CVT fluid.
post #20 of 24 Old 04-28-2016, 01:13 PM

Garage
UPDATE: Yesterday afternoon after a 13 mile drive (mostly interstate)with outside temps around 50 degrees, I checked the fluid level and it was at 30mm. I added the other half of quart #6 and that brought it up to 42mm.

Looks like I'm good now and before my fluid and filter change, I was probably at a half a quart or so low.
post #21 of 24 Old 04-30-2016, 09:45 PM

82k on a 2007 CVT

I purchased the Compass new and have recently replaced: intake manifold ($1,500), Trans fluid at 78k miles ($200) Struts around ($1,200) and last week new Toyo rubber all around ($500.) Transmission has worked like a fine clock since new but two days ago the transmission started to hum at slow speed and is getting quite noticeable. It has been babied so next week I will take it into a transmission shop for a diagnosis.

My wife loves her Compass so I will replace the transmission if it needs it.

Mike
post #22 of 24 Old 04-30-2016, 10:42 PM

Oh wow, that's not good. 2007 was not a good year for them.

Good luck, get more than one opinion on the tranny though. There are some serviceable areas that could rectify problems.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #23 of 24 Old 08-04-2016, 10:35 PM

I drive a 2009 Compass North Edition, CVT Transmission and 4 wheel drive. It currently has 230,000 kms on it. the only issue I have had with the transmission was a single episode of overheating, which I took to a transmission guy and had the CVT fully serviced, around $200.00. no issue for the past 40, 000 Kms. I live in Canada so the 4x4 gets used in the winter, don't off road with it, but oher wise it's on the go most of the time.
post #24 of 24 Old 08-05-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kontrolacs View Post
I drive a 2009 Compass North Edition, CVT Transmission and 4 wheel drive. It currently has 230,000 kms on it. the only issue I have had with the transmission was a single episode of overheating, which I took to a transmission guy and had the CVT fully serviced, around $200.00. no issue for the past 40, 000 Kms. I live in Canada so the 4x4 gets used in the winter, don't off road with it, but oher wise it's on the go most of the time.
Exactly my build as you describe it. Was the CVT service at an independant transmission shop? Curious as to what it might have been. I don't believe a lot of shops are up to speed on CVT. I am on my 2nd CVT <130,000km on the vehicle. Good to know I can look forward to that life though. Its a fight repairing everything regularly though.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in