Maintainance Questions - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By manualf150

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 03-21-2015, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Maintainance Questions

I've got a 2007 Jeep Compass with a 2.4 Liter I4 with a manual 5 speed transmission and been well maintained for the last 115,000+ miles. I've learned a lot on it, and it's actually a very simple vehicle to maintain. All the work has been done by me, except for the alignment throughout the years.

What I've done/keep doing:
Changing the oil every 3,000 miles or roughly 200 hours.
Change the air filter every 20,000 miles.
Replace the front and rear and every 30,000 miles suspension components -- every single part, including getting an alignment. This has been twice already and will be doing it again this summer.
Replace the pads and rotors every 30,000 miles.
Rebuilt all four calipers at 90,000 miles, including flushing of brake lines.
Replaced both oxygen sensors at 90,000 miles.
Change the spark plugs with Mopar brand every 20,000 miles.
Change PCV valve every 20,000 miles.
Flushed and filled coolant with Mopar brand coolant at 100,000 miles.
Installed new Mopar brand accessory belt at 100,000 miles.
Drain and fill the manual transmission case with Mopar brand fluid every 30,000 miles.
Drain and fill the Power Steering pump with Mopar brand fluid every 50,000 miles.

As I get closer to the 150,000 mile mark, should I be looking at replacing the following:
Fuel pump
Injectors
Coil on Plugs
Clutch and Flywheel

A little background on this particular vehicle...

It gets used around 6-7 days a week. It can sometimes average 150 miles a week, all the way up to 600+ miles a week, and a ton of idling in between. Times where it has idled for hours on end.

Is there anything else I should be doing to properly maintain this engine/vehicle so I can expect maximum service life from the engine? The chassis itself appears like it is holding up.

I'm up to around the ~7,500 hour mark on the engine, according to my scanner. What is the useful life before rebuild of this particular engine?
YaB likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-21-2015, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Forgot to add:
I replace my batteries every 4 years in my fleet and this one has had the original and then in 2011 I changed the battery again. I am going to be replacing it in a couple weeks.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-21-2015, 11:06 PM

Garage
I will say one thing its going to last u along time if u keep that routine up that's for sure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 03-22-2015, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Well, I depend on my vehicles. Vehicles are not cheap, and taking care of them is my top priority. So far this Jeep Compass is rock solid except for the suspension components. No matter if I go Mopar, Moog, or any other brand part, they seem to go around 30,000-40,000 miles. Mostly the lower control arms on the front... but usually it's just easier to replace everything since I'm working on it. The rears last a little longer, but usually I just make sure all four corners are good and just wind up replacing everything, including the struts (I've tried both Monroe Sensatrac and the Mopars), and haven't felt a ride difference.

I one other forgotten item are the CV joints. The rubbers are still doing good, because I spray them with silicone every oil change to keep them soft. But I'm sure by 150k they will need some attention.

It's a great fuel efficient machine, except if it idles forever then fuel mileage is half -- well depending on how long it sits.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-22-2015, 02:44 PM

Well it standard and we all know the clutch is a wear item. It has pads like caliper brakes pads and depends how you drive with it on how long it will last. It would be labour intensive to replace (splitting the engine & tranny). I would not venture onto that until necessary. I am sure you would feel some early warning signs that its very low (linings on the clutch plate).

Yeah it should last going through all that routine as you outlined. All very early parts replacements. On most vehicles those last a lot longer and I find the replacement parts (NON JEEP) are lasting longer than the original ones myself. Once done you should not have to replace any for a long time. Its easy enough to check if the suspension components are worn and replace as required rather than throwing parts at early before they've actually worn enough to feel.

The biggest problem is the OEM parts suck. Wear or fail early in life and some that should never fail and the bill adds up rebuilding the vehicle because of that. Dealer charge a fortune to replace all this along with the parts. It a massive savings doing it yourself for sure.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in