Just had transmission replaced... - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 18 Old 01-11-2011, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Just had transmission replaced...

Hi all,

I own a 2008 Compass (2.4 litre) with 87,000 Kms (54,000 miles) on it. Recently, I was driving up to highway speed when my Jeep started surging and I my RPM's suddenly climbed about 500 and stayed there. I also lost the manual shift. I pulled over and turned it off then started it again and my check engine light came on. After that, shifting into reverse or drive was really rough.

I took it in to the dealership and they determined that I needed the tranny changed. After a two month adventure (long story), I got my Jeep back. It still shifts into reverse and drive very rough and runs at about 2700 RPM at 60 mph (100 kph) where it used to run just over 2000 rpm, but seems to otherwise be running properly. The Service Manager at the dealership said it will shift rough until it "relearns" what to do. The other problem is the check engine light came on again.

Just wondering if anyone else has had these kind of problems with the cvt tranny and if the dealership is just trying to get rid of me with the "relearning" thing.

Last edited by Cadarn; 01-11-2011 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Extra information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Cad, welcome to the forum, glad you found us.
I for one have never heard that an inanimate object like a car or a truck needed to relearn something.....the stealerships always amaze me on how creative they can be explainning something they don't understand.

Any comments anyone?

Life is short, Break the rules,
Forgive quickly, Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably...
Never regret anything that made you smile!
Have a wonderful day!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old 01-11-2011, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel for life View Post
Cad, welcome to the forum, glad you found us.
I for one have never heard that an inanimate object like a car or a truck needed to relearn something.....the stealerships always amaze me on how creative they can be explainning something they don't understand.

Any comments anyone?
I thought that sounded a little fishy. I made an appointment with a more reputable dealership in town. I'm hoping they'll work it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 01-11-2011, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

I also just noticed that my brake assist is no longer working.
post #5 of 18 Old 01-12-2011, 12:07 PM

Garage
Welcome, and good luck.
Let us all know how things develop . .
post #6 of 18 Old 01-14-2011, 03:26 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the forum Cadarn, glad to have you though sorry to hear you're having problems. So they did replace your transmission? What they mean by "learned" is the fact that yes, your vehicle's computer does actually learn how you drive, more so in the case of the engine rather than the trans., which is referred to as "block learn." Things like short runs vs. highway driving, excessive idling etc. are stored in the computer.

When the transmission was replaced, presumably and hopefully, with a new unit, yes, the computer is going to have "re-learn" the new trans in order that it will work with your engine, and a computer reflash should be enough to take care of that.

In your case, since you were having the problem before the trans was replaced, I would think they would have started there before replacing the trans. As for the CEL, did they check it for codes? That's the best place to start looking is to see what codes, if any, are stored, but good luck and be sure to keep us posted.

- Cherokee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....

Last edited by Cherokee; 01-14-2011 at 05:06 AM.
post #7 of 18 Old 01-19-2011, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Well, I have an update.

I got a call back from the more reputable dealership the morning after I dropped it off and they told me that the valve body on the tranny had an internal defect, which will be covered by warranty.

So basically, the first dealership, after taking 2 weeks just to look at my Jeep and screwing around for 2 months didn't even bother to test drive it after replacing the tranny.

Hopefully, I should have everything back to normal soon.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-19-2011, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Glad to hear it, seems you may have found a dealership that knows what they're doing/looking at.

- Cherokee

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #9 of 18 Old 02-02-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadarn View Post
Well, I have an update.

I got a call back from the more reputable dealership the morning after I dropped it off and they told me that the valve body on the tranny had an internal defect, which will be covered by warranty.

So basically, the first dealership, after taking 2 weeks just to look at my Jeep and screwing around for 2 months didn't even bother to test drive it after replacing the tranny.

Hopefully, I should have everything back to normal soon.
What area are you in. If you're in KM then in Canada somewhere. Curious, I am in the process of having mine analyzed for shuddering just as I come to a stop or at a crawl coasting to a stop. The dealer cannot determine what the problem might be. Tranny? etc so nothing is done but I have it in over 6 times and pressing the issue now. I want it resolved.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #10 of 18 Old 10-14-2011, 05:29 PM

Unhappy 2007 Jeep Compass

Just adding my sorry tale, my 2007 Compass had the transmission replaced
under warranty in Nov 2010 @ 74,938 Km, the following week the drive shaft
needed work, the next week returning from a trip to Toronto I could not get above 20 Km per hour,I was towed 180 Km home by CAA.
The car behaved perfectly until 27 Aug 2011 @ 113,357 Km when the tranny started slipping again. So the second transmission lasted 38,419 Km, The dealer now wants $4,000 for the THIRD transmission plus $1,000 for a new drive shaft which apparently has a leaking seal, which cannot be replaced.
In addition I have had 3 tie rods and 2-3 ball joints replaced and a $1,000 worth of linkage in the rear end.
CHRYSLER CORP has refused any kind of support!
At least 80% of my driving is highway and I have never driven off-road.
I suppose my 35 year association with Jeeps has ended.
I would not advise anyone to buy a COMPASS
post #11 of 18 Old 10-14-2011, 07:14 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Epps View Post
needed work, the next week returning from a trip to Toronto I could not get above 20 Km per hour,I was towed 180 Km home by CAA.
The car behaved perfectly until 27 Aug 2011 @ 113,357 Km when the tranny started slipping again. So the second transmission lasted 38,419 Km, The dealer now wants $4,000 for the THIRD transmission plus $1,000 for a new drive shaft which apparently has a leaking seal, which cannot be replaced.
In addition I have had 3 tie rods and 2-3 ball joints replaced and a $1,000 worth of linkage in the rear end.
Well I agree but as per a solution. Find your work order and/or go back to the dealer who did the CVT swap under warranty. The replacement parts carry at least a year warranty and does NOT end with the vehcile warranty. You can leverage that. You don't have enough miles on it either to exclude that.

As for the drive shaft etc they can be easily replace at a very nominal cost by any mechanic using aftermarket parts which in most cases will be much better. EG: Mevotech | Performance Design Selection | Control Arms

Good luck but if your do some reading the tie rod ends and ball joint fail at a very high rate early in the 2007 year build. Some people still buying these though and having other serious problem not seen before.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #12 of 18 Old 10-16-2011, 03:30 PM

sorry tale

I apologize for misinformation, the first transmission was replaced in
January 2019 not November as I stated so I am screwed anyway as it was over 12 months.
post #13 of 18 Old 12-29-2011, 06:37 PM

Sorry Tale

Quote:
I apologize for misinformation, the first transmission was replaced in
January 2019 not November as I stated so I am screwed anyway as it was over 12 months.

Finally had the transmission rebuilt by AAMCO in Barrie, only cost
$5,500, on 28 Nov 2011
Received a happy birthday from Compass Forum on 27 Dec 2011,
car wouldn't start was towed by CAA to dealership in Bancroft where I had
to have the Computer Module replaced for the miserly sum of $1,400.
Just what I needed for a birthday gift !!!
THIS MUST BE THE WORST CAR EVER MANUFACTURED
post #14 of 18 Old 12-30-2011, 02:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
When the transmission was replaced, presumably and hopefully, with a new unit, yes, the computer is going to have "re-learn" the new trans in order that it will work with your engine, and a computer reflash should be enough to take care of that.

- Cherokee
Is there some instruction to reset the re-learning stuff you are talking about, like disconnecting the battery or something like that. Im having problems with my truck because there is too much power lose, it seem the issue came from the fuel pump, but reading your post maybe there is a missunderstanding of the electronics..... im still having the problem and really dont know what to do....

http://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/...html#post26605

I think my post should be in the transmision problems not in the repairs??

Billy (wojeda)

Jeep Compass 2008, 2.4L VVT, 4x4, CVT II

Door Sill Guards Stainless Steel
Hiway 22.5MPG (120Km/h)
City 19.4MPG
post #15 of 18 Old 12-30-2011, 02:40 PM

Garage
Very sorry reading a post like This. I am really scared to read something like this. You are spending thousands of US$$$$, here un Peru, that would cost 150% more fore sure!!!! (for a oil change, stealership charge you US$300...)

Maybe we do not have to go on "new" models!!!!.... we should go onto well testes regular models... like cherokee or laredo or patriot.... CVT gearboxes??? really help on mpg?.. when you have a US$5000 problem, forget the savings on fuel consumption.

This is my first try to jeep, and i´m having a problem with the fuel pump (i hope so, because if not... transmision is the answer, and that willl be terrible news). I drive 99% on pavement, going on off road?... i think not. Before i have been on a Volkswagen (VW Gol 1999), Mitusbishi (Nativa 4x4 equipt by Jaos 2005), Toyota (Corolla 1981), BMW (X5 2009) and Mercedes (C 2009), and NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. I have always heard things like american car are heavy duty and make to last but im quite concern now. Im looking for a ford mustang but now im not sure.

regards,
William

Billy (wojeda)

Jeep Compass 2008, 2.4L VVT, 4x4, CVT II

Door Sill Guards Stainless Steel
Hiway 22.5MPG (120Km/h)
City 19.4MPG
post #16 of 18 Old 12-30-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Maybe you can understand where I've been coming from by my statement about Compass's. It took me over a year and finally got my CVT replaced. Chrysler will NOT offer any warranty if its finished. I've also had the transmission long shaft seal replaced before the CVT which can be replaced. My long CV shaft was replace quite a while ago. Engine and axles all that orginal at the moment. I know the CVT's aren't cheap but I'd call around and if that dealer doesn't do better. I would see another. It's dumb to put that much money back into a dealers hands that did not take care of it properly the first time. Explain the history and problem to another dealer and see what they come up with. Software programming is also required so they have to do that right as well.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #17 of 18 Old 02-09-2012, 08:32 PM

Peter Epps continuing story

My muffler just started to fail, went to Can. Tire
apparently there aren't any after market mufflers, has to come from
Chrysler. quoted price, installed $725
That's just dandy, Chrysler should be BOYCOTTED
post #18 of 18 Old 02-09-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
My muffler just started to fail, went to Can. Tire
apparently there aren't any after market mufflers, has to come from
Chrysler. quoted price, installed $725
That's just dandy, Chrysler should be BOYCOTTED
First you went to the wrong place. Call around or if close check out a real muffler shop. Most smaller shops can fit and pipe a muffler to fit any vehicle. Its no rocket science. The have benders and configure it in no time.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in