HELP! DTC Codes!!! - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 13 Old 06-03-2007, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

HELP! DTC Codes!!!

My parents just bought a brand new compass. It's got 900 miles on it now and it threw a CEL on.

So I read the codes and got two codes:

P0335B
&
P0016

Does anyone know what they mean? I did a Google on them and checked out the OBDII database and it does not have those codes in it. So I checked them again, and sure enough, it is those two codes even with a different reader.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-03-2007, 07:33 PM

it may be crankshaft position sensor.

http://www.carrsmith.com/check%20engine ... 20list.htm
post #3 of 13 Old 06-04-2007, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a bunch.

It's off to the dealer tomorrow morning.

The CEL came on when he was crusing at 30 mph in 5th. Is that too high of a gear to be crusing at 30 mph with? A friend told me that you should never let i4's go lower than 2,000 rpms.

Being a guy who's always driven trucks with VERY low end torque and rpms, he is used to throwing it in O/D (5th in this case).

Actually this is the first small car I have ever driven. I've been driving trucks since I was 16 (I am 21 now)... took my road test in my Dad's 2000 F-250 super cab v8 diesel with a 6 speed manual... he then gave me his '99 super cab long bed, 156" wheel base F150 with a 5 speed, and I kept that until this January and I traded that to a '07 regular cab, long bed F150, 145" wheel base with a 5 speed.

Since my Dad is so used to driving a diesel, he feels no vibration. So I am wondering if he shifted at rpms lower than 1,000 rpm...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-04-2007, 02:25 AM

It's not that it is a i4 but that it is not a diesel. Lugging the engine such as trying to accelerate from less than 2,000 RPM in a gasoline engine puts a lot of stress on the connecting rods from not letting the engine get up to its torque range.
If your not accelerating 1500 to 2200 is a good range. My CVT runs mostly from 1800 to 2200 rpm when cruising, about 3,000 when mild acceleration is required and up to 6,000 when flooring it.

If it is the grank sensor I doubt its anything someone did while driving it. Most electronics, if they are going to fail, quit early in their life. I suspect you have a bad sensor or a loose coonection.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-04-2007, 03:36 AM

Welcome. This site is pretty good for trouble codes:
http://www.obd-codes.com

I'm on my fourth truck. Third Ford truck. Had a 98 F-150, then an 01 F-150, now a 07 Ranger (in addition to the Compass). I also hang out at the Ford truck forums here -- http://www.fordf150.net
post #6 of 13 Old 06-04-2007, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

According to the dealer they think it was from him shifting way too low. They told him to keep the rev's beyond 1,500 rpms when driving and don't be afraid to go into the 3k to 4k range when accelerating. The service manager couldn't believe that this was the first car I ever drove. (It's the truth too.... never have I driven a car.)

What's great is that I told him that before he even bought the Compass. :lol:

So they cleared out the codes and told him to bring it down again if the CEL comes on.

If there is one thing that is different between me and my Dad, is that I know how to drive the thing... he don't... haha :lol:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis4246
It's not that it is a i4 but that it is not a diesel. Lugging the engine such as trying to accelerate from less than 2,000 RPM in a gasoline engine puts a lot of stress on the connecting rods from not letting the engine get up to its torque range.
If your not accelerating 1500 to 2200 is a good range. My CVT runs mostly from 1800 to 2200 rpm when cruising, about 3,000 when mild acceleration is required and up to 6,000 when flooring it.

If it is the grank sensor I doubt its anything someone did while driving it. Most electronics, if they are going to fail, quit early in their life. I suspect you have a bad sensor or a loose coonection.
That's what I thought. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaster
Welcome. This site is pretty good for trouble codes:
http://www.obd-codes.com

I'm on my fourth truck. Third Ford truck. Had a 98 F-150, then an 01 F-150, now a 07 Ranger (in addition to the Compass). I also hang out at the Ford truck forums here -- http://www.fordf150.net
I checked it out... seems pretty helpful.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-05-2007, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Webmaster, just curious, my partner is looking into the '07 Ranger as well, and just wondering what you think of it, and what options you are equipped with. I guess, are you happy with it, and would it be a good buy?She wants a truck, and we have priced and equipped several makes/models, but she seems really happy with that one. She tells me all the time that the Compass "is all me," but we are looking for something besides just the bike for her to drive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #8 of 13 Old 07-02-2007, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee
Webmaster, just curious, my partner is looking into the '07 Ranger as well, and just wondering what you think of it, and what options you are equipped with. I guess, are you happy with it, and would it be a good buy?She wants a truck, and we have priced and equipped several makes/models, but she seems really happy with that one. She tells me all the time that the Compass "is all me," but we are looking for something besides just the bike for her to drive.
Sorry, just saw this post now.

I've got 3,500 km on the Ranger now. So far I'm really happy with it, I think it's an excellent value. The GM truck in the same config would have costed thousands more (not to mention it's ugly). I have air/tilt/cruise, CD/MP3 player, automatic transmission, and a sliding tinted rear window. It's the XL model, regular cab shortbox.

The reality is the Ranger is an old truck. Not much has been updated on it in the last 15 years or so. But in my mind it's biggest strengths are it's value (bang for your buck) and it's dependability. These trucks are very, very reliable and trouble-free overall.

Since the truck is basically just for me, I opted for the regular cab. They're actually kind of hard to find, most dealer's lots are full of SuperCab trucks. I just wish I could have got 4x4 in the regular cab 4 cyl configuration.

Here's a picture:
post #9 of 13 Old 07-03-2007, 03:22 AM
kwc

My oldest son's first car (that he bought himself) was a 1999 Ranger 4x4 ... automatic and the extended cab (extra space behind the front seats with a couple folding "jump seats").

It was a nightmare. The power steering fluid resevoir had to be replaced three years in a row, actually three winters in a row, until Ford figured out that they needed something that could handle Alaskan winters. The front wheel bearings needed replacing several times, much more than they should have been. The four wheel drive system was tempermental ... sometimes it switched to 4x4 status, sometimes it didn't. It spent quite a bit of time in the repair shop. And the dealer was very difficult to deal with, even when the truck was clearly under warranty.

On the plus side, he and his wife drove the truck from Fairbanks to upstate NY and back for their wedding ... and they put beaucoup miles on the truck. But then if you live in Alaska, you drive beaucoup miles anyways!!

They sold it last year after buying a new Forester, which his wife drives most of the time. My son drives a 98 Wrangler that he's done some "work" on over the past couple of yrs.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-06-2007, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Nice looking truck, there Webmaster. I agree, there isn't much change in these trucks, and I have known several people over the course of the years who have had one, and I have driven all of them, almost bought one myself while I was in college, but anyway, most of them are still on the road.

I think they are economical as far as fitting most budgets, and they are fun to drive. I, too, have also not known of them having too many problems over the years.

Out of all the trucks she priced and equipped online, the Ranger seems to be her best bet, especially with features for the price, and overall reliability.

Thanks for the info and the pic. As soon as she gets hers, I will let you know and try to post a pic as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #11 of 13 Old 08-15-2007, 06:09 PM

I found out I have a P0741 fault code that is stored and not active but still shows up. Anyone know what this means on a 07 Compass with 545miles?
post #12 of 13 Old 09-19-2007, 08:03 PM

unitinbypass

Do you have an update?
post #13 of 13 Old 09-30-2007, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitinbypass
I found out I have a P0741 fault code that is stored and not active but still shows up. Anyone know what this means on a 07 Compass with 545miles?
Sounds like an Automatic Transmission Fault code according to a OBDII database.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in