2014 Compass 5 speed manual tranny shot at 30K miles - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 07-09-2015, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

2014 Compass 5 speed manual tranny shot at 30K miles

My wife and I own a 2014 Jeep Compass. Main reason we bought it is because it has a 5 speed and our Patriot was giving us trouble. We've owed Jeeps forever (CJ7-Cherokees) and all have been 5 speeds except for a 6 speed Liberty we didn't keep very long. Anyway, we know 5 speeds and we know how to drive them.

My wife has been mentioning a "growling" sound from under the Jeep. Took it too the dealer last fall and they said it was mud up under the motor (???) and they cleaned it out and it should be fine. True, I do get out in the mud sometimes with it for my job, so I took the blame and I forgot about it.

Unfortunately, as noises and unhappy wives often do, the noise just got louder. Finally, this past weekend I drove it and it seemed really loud. I noticed when I pushed in the clutch, the noise went away so we knew it wasn't breaks or wheel bearings. Since it's just under 30,000 miles and still under factory warranty, I told her to make an appointment for it. She took it in to the Jeep dealer and they told her there are bearings shot in the transmission. WTF?!! This Jeep has such low miles it seems crazy to think that bearings are going in it. My old 86 Cherokee had 300,000 miles on it and never had a problem! Furthermore, they said Jeep doesn't replace transmissions with new ones anymore, they just fix the bearings. IF a bearing is shot, isn't that going to let metal filings into the rest of the tranny and screw it up further down the road? Is this just a freak isolated thing or have other people had this trouble as well? NOT IMPRESSED with this Jeep so far. Thanks for letting me vent and I'm curious if others have had any trouble with their 5 speed manuals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-19-2015, 09:31 PM

Thumbs down You were luckier than iIwas!

Snowmad you were a lot luckier than I was. I have a 2014 5-speed compass that the transmission started going bad at 19,000 miles! I'm sooo pissed, I traded in a great vehicle and saved up for a long time to be able to buy this car. Now I'm stuck with junk, which will have zero resale value, and will have to spend even more on another decent vehicle. To make matters even worse the dealer I bought my car from initially said they wouldn't work on it and that I had to find a dealer that would fix it. This is after waiting three weeks to get an appointment. It then took them a week to get the tools in that they needed to fix my transmission because apparently they have never seen a 5-speed transmission. Funny, manual transmissions have only been around for 100 years, you think they would have gotten the memo by now on how to fix them! BTW, it's not just the Compass' that are junk read on the Grand Cherokee and Renegade web sites. They are just as bad.

As far as being mad about not getting a new transmission, I was mad too. My husband, however, said that if the bearings are bad in the Jeep transmissions, getting a new transmission may just get you more bad bearings. Getting just a new bearing may get you a different bearing from a different manufacturer that isn't bad. Just a thought!

Last edited by SunnyCo; 08-19-2015 at 10:58 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-12-2015, 07:54 PM

Garage
You have probably already dealt with this but, I have a 2010 Compass 4 x 4 manual transmission and the same thing happened around 70,000 I'm glad it was under warranty but it makes me concerned... the bearings did break and make a huge mess of metal filings in the transmission. Stay on top of them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 03-07-2016, 04:29 PM

So as an update to my post back in August about my transmission bearing going bad after just 19,000 miles; here it is only March (7 months after the bearing replacement) and guess what.... the bearing is now going bad as the vibration I'm getting is certainly not normal. In just 4 months my three year factory warranty will be over. Yes, there is an extended powertrain warranty but now I will have to start paying a deductible every time the bearing goes bad. Oh, and FYI at only 28,000 miles the shocks and struts are now going bad. I really question the quality of this vehicle even more so. I wish I never bought this Compass and would love to get rid of it first chance I can.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-07-2016, 07:06 PM

Sound like its like the earlier builds. I had all mine go under warranty at low millage. I was at the dealer every two weeks for almost two years. What a waste of time for a new vehicle. Not much was original when it was out of warranty. I have a leaking CV shaft seal, 3 were replaced now I need another once. It started after have the A-arm with ball joint changed and the stress or wriggling the shaft must have broke a leaking passage once the shaft moved out a bit and reinserted.

Good luck.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-08-2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyCo View Post
So as an update to my post back in August about my transmission bearing going bad after just 19,000 miles; here it is only March (7 months after the bearing replacement) and guess what.... the bearing is now going bad as the vibration I'm getting is certainly not normal. In just 4 months my three year factory warranty will be over. Yes, there is an extended powertrain warranty but now I will have to start paying a deductible every time the bearing goes bad. Oh, and FYI at only 28,000 miles the shocks and struts are now going bad. I really question the quality of this vehicle even more so. I wish I never bought this Compass and would love to get rid of it first chance I can.
Hey SunnyCo,
I am sorry to hear about your continued concerns with your vehicle. If you private message me your VIN, servicing FCA dealership, and up to date contact info, I would be happy to look into this for you.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-29-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyCo View Post
Dealer parts carry One Year Warranty in themselves. You shouldn't have to pay anything. I'd be wondering if the mechanic is up to scratch. Try another dealer and/or look around. They are not all the same.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in