07 Compass Engine malf. ind light, charging light, slipped gears? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 Old 11-30-2015, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

07 Compass Engine malf. ind light, charging light, slipped gears?

Hi folks,

Bear with me, my knowledge of engines is pretty much summed up by saying I am smart enough to know I don't know much.

Here's what's going on with the 2007 Compass my wife has:
It's been noisy, almost like it is revving too fast and makes a bit of a clicking sound/rattle.

Tonight we were driving home and it went nuts on us a couple times. I had to accelerate to change lanes and it was like it slipped or something - revved really high, the dashboard lit up like a christmas tree with lights - one was the electronic stability program indicator which went off. The engine malfunction indicator came on and stayed on. Charging system indicator came on and stayed on. Power seemed to be lost then came back, I hit the hazards and nursed it home but had one or two recurrences of the power loss, christmas tree, butt clench moments. It was raining and we may have hydroplaned slightly when it happened... too busy changing my underwear to be sure.

I just went to turn it on after it sat a couple hours wondering if it might be some computer error that would reset. Those two indicator lights were still on.

Background: My wife had it in to a couple places for a driver's side headlight that was out. I took it to one shop that tried replacing the bulb. They said that it was the whole fuse box that needed to be replaced because of some crazy electrical system on the driver's side light - the passenger side light was a simple fuse, driver's side a $1000 fuse box. Wife took it to another shop where they replaced the light and reset some codes and it worked.

Next day that engine noise started.. almost like a moped or something vvvvvrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr click click click click but it seemed fine otherwise before tonight.

So my fear of course is a shot tranny but this is an odd engine and from reading it sounds like perhaps disconnecting the battery to reset the computer might be worth looking at?? Noticed a week ago that the battery looked bad, need to get it replaced - corrosion pretty bad on one terminal.

So other than 'you should have taken it in immediately when it sounded funny' I am hoping for some suggestions or thoughts if one of you experts recognizes the description and can say "Oh yeah, that's XYZ".

Debating on whether to drive it or tow it to a service station tomorrow.

Fear is that it's toast but hoping it is some stupid quirk that is easy to address and we don't need to bury it.

Helllllllp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-30-2015, 11:27 AM

Garage
I would definitely try replacing the battery. My 2008 Compass had issues once with the ETC light (lightning bolt) coming on and running rough till I shut it off and restarted it. I replaced the battery 15000 miles ago and it hasn't happened since.

These vehicle are sensitive to low voltage and voltage fluctuations.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-01-2015, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

So yesterday I scrubbed away the corrosion and tightened everything up on the battery and the lights were still on then gave a little gas and it died deader then hell. I mean no power to anything and even the gauges stayed put. Battery had power so not sure what the deal was. Had to have it towed and they say it needs new battery and an alternator. Worst case $700 but might be cheaper depending on what type of alternator (wife talked to them).

$700 to replace alternator on this thing sounds right from other posts that say it was designed in such a way as to ensure that the alternator is as hard to get to as possible.

Between the immense challenge of replacing a lightbulb now this I have to really scratch my head on the electrical system in this car. I had a jeep Cherokee 20 years ago when it was a different animal and abused the hell out of it for 200K miles without any trouble. Look at this thing funny and it seems to defecate the bed.

Does $700 sound right to those of you who are familiar with this unique design?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-02-2015, 05:34 PM

It depends on a lot. Only way is the call around your area. Since you have no details or signature its all guess work.

2007 was the worst year for these (cars). Its not a Jeep. Its a FIAT design to start with and built the same as the Dodge Calibre car. Only a different body is thrown on top. It wasn't until 2010 at least until it started being modified to be more Jeep like but not for the better. The new builds also had a new set of problem when new.

Given the age and where you're at now (dumping money into it). She may be better off with another vehicle. Not another one of these of any year either.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tripplec; 12-02-2015 at 05:52 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-04-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHFIII View Post
Hi folks,

Bear with me, my knowledge of engines is pretty much summed up by saying I am smart enough to know I don't know much.

Here's what's going on with the 2007 Compass my wife has:
It's been noisy, almost like it is revving too fast and makes a bit of a clicking sound/rattle.

Tonight we were driving home and it went nuts on us a couple times. I had to accelerate to change lanes and it was like it slipped or something - revved really high, the dashboard lit up like a christmas tree with lights - one was the electronic stability program indicator which went off. The engine malfunction indicator came on and stayed on. Charging system indicator came on and stayed on. Power seemed to be lost then came back, I hit the hazards and nursed it home but had one or two recurrences of the power loss, christmas tree, butt clench moments. It was raining and we may have hydroplaned slightly when it happened... too busy changing my underwear to be sure.

I just went to turn it on after it sat a couple hours wondering if it might be some computer error that would reset. Those two indicator lights were still on.

Background: My wife had it in to a couple places for a driver's side headlight that was out. I took it to one shop that tried replacing the bulb. They said that it was the whole fuse box that needed to be replaced because of some crazy electrical system on the driver's side light - the passenger side light was a simple fuse, driver's side a $1000 fuse box. Wife took it to another shop where they replaced the light and reset some codes and it worked.

Next day that engine noise started.. almost like a moped or something vvvvvrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr click click click click but it seemed fine otherwise before tonight.

So my fear of course is a shot tranny but this is an odd engine and from reading it sounds like perhaps disconnecting the battery to reset the computer might be worth looking at?? Noticed a week ago that the battery looked bad, need to get it replaced - corrosion pretty bad on one terminal.

So other than 'you should have taken it in immediately when it sounded funny' I am hoping for some suggestions or thoughts if one of you experts recognizes the description and can say "Oh yeah, that's XYZ".

Debating on whether to drive it or tow it to a service station tomorrow.

Fear is that it's toast but hoping it is some stupid quirk that is easy to address and we don't need to bury it.

Helllllllp
Hey CHFIII,

I am sorry to hear about your recent experience with your Compass. Unfortunately, I could not find any service bulletins related to your vehicle. I would advise you to have the vehicle formally diagnosed at an FCA certified dealership. You may also check to see if your vehicle has any open recalls by accessing this link: Safety Recall Information | MOPAR.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-09-2016, 06:44 AM

Reference to 2007 Compass new battery and alternator cost:

Had mine changed last year (parts and labour)

New battery $200

New alternator $250

I live in Alberta, Canada, USA a lot cheaper !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in