Engine light on after hard acceleration, now it's having difficulty accelerating - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 Old 01-22-2016, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Engine light on after hard acceleration, now it's having difficulty accelerating

Long story short, some idiot almost merged right into me today. I gassed it to get away from said idiot but accelerated more than I think I should have. Couldn't hear anything because I was cranking the tunes, but looked at dash and saw I had gunned it to 4000 rpms. NEVER do I or have I gone up that high in rpms because a fear of tranny problems, but it happened today and about a minute later my check engine light came on and has been on since and I notice a difference in the shifting during acceleration. I stopped at autozone for a scan of the code but their scanner didnt pick up anything. I know the only real way to determine the issue is to have my mechanic do a full diagnostic scan but I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone on here with some knowledge. I have always been mindful at not gunning it for this exact reason but yeah, I think I screwed up big! Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-24-2016, 12:20 AM

Mine has had the service engine light come on three times. Each time the Jeep went into a "safe mode" where it was low on power and shifted strange. One time it was triggered by a slightly loose battery connection and the other two times were cam sensors. I believe every time the service engine light comes on the vehicle will go into the "safe mode".

2015 Jeep Compass Latitude 4x4
2.4, 6 spd auto, high altitude package

Elkhorn, Nebraska, USA

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Z71
2009 Impala
1986 Corvette
post #3 of 4 Old 01-26-2016, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I'm pretty sure thats whats going on after I read up more about "limp/safe mode". Just dropped jeep off at my mechanics. Hoping it wont be too big a bill. O2 codes and intake manifold code. Will it go back to normal after issues resolved? Ty for responding to my post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-29-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory42day View Post
Long story short, some idiot almost merged right into me today. I gassed it to get away from said idiot but accelerated more than I think I should have. Couldn't hear anything because I was cranking the tunes, but looked at dash and saw I had gunned it to 4000 rpms. NEVER do I or have I gone up that high in rpms because a fear of tranny problems, but it happened today and about a minute later my check engine light came on and has been on since and I notice a difference in the shifting during acceleration. I stopped at autozone for a scan of the code but their scanner didnt pick up anything. I know the only real way to determine the issue is to have my mechanic do a full diagnostic scan but I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone on here with some knowledge. I have always been mindful at not gunning it for this exact reason but yeah, I think I screwed up big! Help!
Hey victory42day,

I am sorry to hear about the recent experience with your Compass. I would advise you to have the vehicle scanned for diagnostic trouble codes at a certified FCA dealership. A certified dealership has the proper scanning equipment, that could possibly lead to a diagnosis.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in