2012 jeep compass trans overheat light - Jeep Compass Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By NorthStar
  • 1 Post By DEF1ANT

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 05-30-2017, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy 2012 jeep compass trans overheat light

Hi new here and this is my first jeep. I have to say after everything I've expierenced since late September 2016 i doubt i will ever own another. I bought my 2012 jeep compass used. Had 89,985 miles on it Sept 29. This year i already had to replace thermostat will radiator refill new antifreeze, spark plugs, catalytic converter, brakes and rotors and 4 new tires. All this was done in first 5 months. Now last month and last week when i was on a 4 to 5 hour trip the trans overheat light came on after about 3 hours. Pulled over let it cool off and finished my way home. I have the ext warranty which will run out in about 2000 miles. So i contacted the dealer. They said will check it, but most likely only needs fluid change and flush for $199. Which again is not covered. They said they would also check out the trans to make sure no other problems exist. My question is what has been your take on this problem? Ive seen soo many of these problems for this model. Im seriously considering trading it.

Last edited by Pamela Brady Buckles; 05-30-2017 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Misspell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-30-2017, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Also forgot to mention it does have a whine to it that ive heard others mention. However i would have thought if there was a problem that when the dealer did the 2 other computer scans it would have found a problem if it was?
post #3 of 7 Old 05-30-2017, 06:19 PM

It is a possibility that the trans fluid does need a change, BUT if they're recommending it, ask them that if they do it and it doesn't solve the problem, will you still be charged for it. What's the point in paying to change in when it doesn't solve a thing right?
Buckles5 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-31-2017, 02:17 AM

Yes they said i have to pay since the work to do it was approved by me.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-31-2017, 05:54 AM

Garage
The radiator might be clogged, causing the transmission to overheat. A member, found an easy fix for that.

Link: http://www.myjeepcompass.com/forums/...d-i-fixed.html
Buckles5 likes this.

2014 Jeep Compass Limited 4x4

Last edited by DEF1ANT; 05-31-2017 at 05:56 AM.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-02-2017, 05:47 PM

Thats been done when changed tge thermostat.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-04-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela Brady Buckles View Post
Hi new here and this is my first jeep. I have to say after everything I've expierenced since late September 2016 i doubt i will ever own another. I bought my 2012 jeep compass used. Had 89,985 miles on it Sept 29. This year i already had to replace thermostat will radiator refill new antifreeze, spark plugs, catalytic converter, brakes and rotors and 4 new tires. All this was done in first 5 months. Now last month and last week when i was on a 4 to 5 hour trip the trans overheat light came on after about 3 hours. Pulled over let it cool off and finished my way home. I have the ext warranty which will run out in about 2000 miles. So i contacted the dealer. They said will check it, but most likely only needs fluid change and flush for $199. Which again is not covered. They said they would also check out the trans to make sure no other problems exist. My question is what has been your take on this problem? Ive seen soo many of these problems for this model. Im seriously considering trading it.
Sounds like a couple of things going on here. Wear items like brakes and tires don't just suddenly fail. Any experienced car dealer would have known they would need to be done just from a visual inspection. Reputable dealers will spend some money to 'recondition' a used vehicle before selling it, and it is very common that tires and brakes are needed. But then they will ask more for the vehicle when selling it. If you paid typical retail price for the vehicle but it wasn't reconditioned then you may have been taken advantage of. If you paid closer to wholesale price then you probably weren't.
Second point is that yes the CVTs are known for overheating, and there are various discussions here about that issue that you can check out. But legally/financially, you bought a vehicle that should be fit to drive. It should not be overheating during normal driving, and you shouldn't have to pay for a transmission service unless that is scheduled maintenance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in