2007 Compass dead engine, Timing Chain? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 11-17-2017, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

2007 Compass dead engine, Timing Chain?

New member here. I posted to the new member section but it did not show up. So, I was working on my Compass yesterday. i put a hitch on it to pull a small boat. I bought an aftermarket trailer wiring kit, got that installed. Repaired the ground to the right front turn signal and parking light. Went to start it to go to lunch and I think something gave out in the timing chain area. It whips over but has the tell tale sound of no compression. I checked around and could not find any information on changing the timing chain. Has anyone on here done a timing chain? What are the chances it did damage to the valves? I have found conflicting information about it being an interference engine. I've only had it about a week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-17-2017, 07:48 PM

Are you sure the engine is turning and not just the starter? Timing chains don't hardly ever break, would be really unusual.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-27-2017, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Yep, engine is turning. Chain did not break. Either one of the guides or the tensioner came loose allowing it to jump time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T Chain 1.jpg (45.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg T Chain 2.jpg (44.8 KB, 9 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-30-2017, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

I got it apart. All of the followers are in place and look good but cams are well out of time. It looks like the hydraulic tensioner gave up.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-04-2017, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Got it all back together and running. The tensioner was bad. Also, the chain appears to have stretched some compared to the new one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in