1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bart

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 Old 11-27-2017, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Dtc p0016

OK, bought this 2007 Compass with 157,000 miles. Shortly after getting it the check engine light comes on. I run the codes and it shows a P0016. Online research indicated that it could mean a bad cam sensor, bad crank sensor, etc. What it really means is that the cams and crankshaft are out of sync. It ran that way for about 300 miles before it jumped time to the point it will not run. I pulled the valve cover and found the cams out of whack. I can hook my finger around the timing chain, between the cams, and pull it about a half inch above the cams. Something in the guides and/or tensioner gave out allowing the chain to jump time. I am not sure if it has done damage to the valves but sounds like it is likely.

Prior to the thing quiting completely I had it looked at by the mechanic at the shop I bought it. He told me it could not be cam timing, it runs too good. Just because it still runs decent does not mean the timing is correct. It could jump enough to throw the computer off but not enough to make it run bad.

If you run diagnostics and pull a code P0016 I would highly recommend having the cam timing checked as well as the condition of the guides and tensioner. It could prevent a hefty(er) repair bill.
wheelin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-30-2017, 02:18 PM

Thanks for the heads up and warning! Perhaps it's time to find another shop because that mechanic doesn't sound the most trustworthy.
Did you get your Compass checked out yet to see is anything big is damaged because of this?
post #3 of 4 Old 11-30-2017, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

I took it apart last night. It turns out that the hydraulic tensioner is bad. I am replacing the chain, guides, and tensioner. After that I can run a compression check to see if I have any bent valves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-04-2017, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Got it all back together. No bent valves.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in