2011 4WD Switch no good after only 4k miles - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 Old 06-15-2011, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

2011 4WD Switch no good after only 4k miles

So I was driving down the interstate on my way to campus today and all of the sudden I feel a slight jerk and the 4Wd! light come on. Pulled over read the manual and it stated to have it serviced immediately. Got to dealership in town and they look it over and its a faulty 4wd selector switch. They say its ok to drive it home and so I did. On the way home it dropped into 4wd seven times at speeds from 45 to 55 mph on drive pavement. Before I left the dealership I asked it it was ok to drive home the service writer was hesitant to gove me and answer and eventually said yes. So now I am without a vehicle for 2-3 days and I don't want to drive it as it will dropped into 4wd at anytime. Called Jeep and they can't do anything until tomorrow. I think a loner vehicle would have been nice but guess they want to risk damaging my CVT T-case, and RDU. END RANT and time for more beer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-15-2011, 06:02 PM

Garage
a loaner is not covered under the chrysler warranty. if you are concerned about it and MUST drive it, why not just unbolt your console and unplug the switch? that would prevent it from dropping into 4WD accidentally.

just FYI, you won't put a whole lot of damage on the car in this manner. the car is really AWD. your rear wheels always have power to them. all the 4WD LOCK button does is split the torque evenly from the front to rear.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-16-2011, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

Well if you put it that way it seems like I over reacted but the bloody truth is I just took delivery of this vehicle mid April and it seems silly that I have spent 23K on this vehicle that I use everyday to travel between work, school, and to take my ever aging parents to doctor visits and up most rely on. It would have taken three days of pay and getting this done around the community impossible with out a loaner. Now that I have a loaner my car will get fixed while I'm at work tomorrow and then I'll pick up and drop off my ride after work. If i wouldn't have gotten a loaner I would have been car less until the 20th.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-16-2011, 03:00 PM

Garage
don't misunderstand me, i'm not saying you shouldn't be upset that it isn't working. as long as you are getting it taken care of, that's the most important part. my point was that you shouldn't be concerned with damaging the vehicle unless there are other problems besides the switch.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-17-2011, 04:24 AM Thread Starter

Sorry that I miss read you its just been a stressful pass few days. A fail on my part and thanks for the info about the AWD system then. It was my understanding from the purchasing dealer that it was FWD until the switch was activated. I guess knowledge does conquer all.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-17-2011, 06:04 PM

These jeeps as most don't have LSD at the rear and you can drive in 4X4 mode on dry roads anyway if you which. Unlike some Grand Cherokee's like mine it has two modes for 4x4 of which one of them can be used on dry roads without chewing tires etc on turns or gears binding.

If its the switch it merely engaging drive to the rear intermittently rather than on slip detection which causes it to engage.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in