Brake transmission interlock malfunction - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 13 Old 12-03-2007, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Brake transmission interlock malfunction

After about 1k miles of use, I went to leave a store with my wife and child and I couldn't move the car out of park. I tried everything possible short of using a hammer on my nice new car. I looked up in the manual and found the manual override to the switch.

This is going to be my second service visit to the dealer since buying the car less than a month ago. The first visit was to realign the front passenger door which was rubbing on the front quarter panel as well as get the correct floor mats (they gave me tan instead of black).

We love the car, but this is a bit discouraging. Now there's a check engine light on to accompany the manfunctioning transmission shifter. ANyone else experiencing this level of fit and finish problems?

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-03-2007, 03:31 PM

Re: Brake transmission interlock malfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Tony
After about 1k miles of use, I went to leave a store with my wife and child and I couldn't move the car out of park. I tried everything possible short of using a hammer on my nice new car. I looked up in the manual and found the manual override to the switch.

This is going to be my second service visit to the dealer since buying the car less than a month ago. The first visit was to realign the front passenger door which was rubbing on the front quarter panel as well as get the correct floor mats (they gave me tan instead of black).

We love the car, but this is a bit discouraging. Now there's a check engine light on to accompany the manfunctioning transmission shifter. ANyone else experiencing this level of fit and finish problems?

Tony
Other than some jerk in an Navigator hitting me I haven't had any problems.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-03-2007, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Well, wifey is bringing it in today. We have yet to fill out our initial satisfaction survey, so I am fairly confident the dealer will get it fixed fast and correctly. If not fast, I'm curious as to the type of loaner can she will come home in. 1500 miles and a transmission failure = not so happy camper

T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 12-03-2007, 05:24 PM
ACX

wow sorry to hear about your troubles.

My GF is going on 11 months with the compass, almost 20 thousand kms and literally no issues.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-03-2007, 10:15 PM

Garage
TRANNY TROUBLES

I have always stuck with a standard shift in all my cars over 35 years of driving.
Not only do they provide allot more positive control when driving, using the engine wisely up-shifting for good acceleration and then down-shifting for cornering and braking, they are also mechanically simpler and way more fun.
A clutch and gear shift mechanics are much more basic than sophisticated automatic systems, I don't know that much about the CVT but I imagine it too must be a pretty sophisticated bit of mechanics.
You sure pay enough $ extra for them.
OH YA, that too, you pay more for them and the convenience of having a free had to hold your coffee or cell phone, and, oh ya again, letting your left foot atrophy.

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

post #6 of 13 Old 12-03-2007, 11:56 PM

20000 km

so far so good, nough said.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-04-2007, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Well, turns out the rear brake light switch went bad, letting loose all the gremlins. Wifey hobbles the car to the dealer in limp mode (no torque down low and 3700rpm to get up to 60mph on the highway). They diagnosed the bad switch, changed it, and we're back in business. No waiting, and they even washed the car. All in all a great experience. Except for the whole almost being stranded in a parking lot bit

T
post #8 of 13 Old 12-14-2007, 01:48 AM
Administrator

A week from Sunday, I will have had mine for a year, and (knock on some wood), no problems. As far as the CVT, very interesting piece of work. Basically, you are right in that it is complicated, but yet it is simple at the same time, relying pretty much solely on magnetism to function. When I find the site again where I read about it, because they have an accompanying video that shows how it works in real time, I will post it. I still enjoy having my hands free. I do enjoy the manual transmission, and agree that it is a better conversation with the vehicle and a lot of fun, but in stop and go traffic, where people don't know whether to accelerate or decelerate, it really gets to be a pain.

As far as the fit and finish issues, I commented on those in other places on this site, but suffice it to say, Chrysler is aware of the problem, and I did mention in all of my responses to the surveys my concerns. Not that it will make any difference to J.D. Power and Associates, but the more people that make mention of it, the more chance it stands of being corrected. Basically my problems are more of an appearance/asthaetic variety, like the heat shrink they use as trim between the doors. I live in the south, and with the heat and humidity, it literally does shrink, like you can see where it used to be because of the adhesive, but it really looks crappy. The molding around my sunroof looks loose, my rear bumper (which all Compasses are) is held on by plastic push pins, and sags a bit when the temperature is really up, I could keep going, but you get the drift, so no, I am not completely ecstatic about things like that, considering the price I paid to have the features that I want. Even with all of that, I LOVE my Compass. Besides my Cherokee, I could not have picked out, asked for and gotten a better vehicle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

1991 XJ Cherokee Sport 4X4 4.0 H/O I6
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

JEEP - Just Enjoy Everything, Period.....
post #9 of 13 Old 12-14-2007, 12:33 PM

Garage
Re: Transmissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee
A week from Sunday, I will have had mine for a year, and (knock on some wood), no problems.

I do enjoy the manual transmission, and agree that it is a better conversation with the vehicle and a lot of fun, but in stop and go traffic, where people don't know whether to accelerate or decelerate, it really gets to be a pain.
Firstly: Congratulations on the anniversary, your comments on the exterior trimmings are concerning albeit.

Secondly: "Manual Transmission . . . better conversation with vehicle" - That's Great Wordman-ship! I have never heard such an eloquent description.

Loved

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

-Henry David Thoreau

post #10 of 13 Old 12-15-2007, 05:49 AM
Administrator

Well, that, to me, is how it really feels, the vehicle is communicating with me and I am responding, as in a conversation. I love the feel of it, just not all the time. Where I live, traffic can be a pain, but thanks for the compliment on the wording! When you work in the automotive business like I do, and people come in asking about this or that, or bring their car in, and I ask, well, what is it doing? The typical answer I get is, "I don't know," to which I respond, "well, why not?"

I can ALWAYS tell when someone has driven my vehicle. Most importantly, just as in driving a manual, the vehicle will tell you what is wrong, you just have to be listening (granted sometimes for me, it has taken a few diagnostic tests to find out and trace exactly what the problem is), but every noise, smell, etc., is symptomatic of something.

It is all about being in tune with the vehicle. That is where the real fun comes in, and even with an automatic, I still enjoy the conversation of the engine hum, but a standard, well I have always said, if you own a Jeep, and it is not a standard, then you better know how to drive one, because off-road, now that is a trip!

As far as the exterior trimmings, I go to the dealer on Monday for my next scheduled maintenance, and hope to have an answer from them on that as to what they intend to do to correct that. If not, somebody at Chrysler customer service will have an e-mail from me in their inbox, because I have been bugging them long enough. Just hope nobody else has the same problem.

My 2007 Jeep Compass Sport, Bright Silver Metallic, 26E, CVT II, Driver Convenience Group, Sunroof, Trailer Tow Prep Group, 4x2

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 ST, SWB Reg Cab, Bright Silver Metallic, Trailer Tow Package

post #11 of 13 Old 12-15-2007, 01:03 PM

Garage
Exterior Trim: Fit and FInish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee
Basically my problems are more of an appearance/asthaetic variety, like the heat shrink they use as trim between the doors. I live in the south, and with the heat and humidity, it literally does shrink, like you can see where it used to be because of the adhesive, but it really looks crappy. The molding around my sunroof looks loose, my rear bumper (which all Compasses are) is held on by plastic push pins, and sags a bit when the temperature is really up, I could keep going, but you get the drift.
These apperance issues are serious and concern us all.
Maybe you should start a new thread to document and follow this situation.
nobody wants their car to look shabby, it's a pride thing many have, as well, nobody wants to see the resale value diminish due to premature aging.

Loved

-[OIIIIIIO]-

~Jack Kerouac

-Henry David Thoreau

post #12 of 13 Old 12-16-2007, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Perhaps I should do that. Like I said, Chrysler is aware of the issues via my dealership, and I will be going in either tomorrow or Tuesday, depending on work, to see how hard they are actually working on it, but I am waiting on their answer, so the dealership will know what work has to be done to correct the problem. As soon as I hear back what they intend to do, I will definitely keep all of you posted. Thanks for the concern, and hopefully all is well with everyone else.

post #13 of 13 Old 07-26-2008, 04:51 AM

HOW TO MANUAL OVERIDE (won't come out of park)

since my gf just had this problem and i'm at work and I couldn't find the answer on here right away i figured i'd post it. I found it reading the service manual online.

Since she couldn't get the supposed plug out. Pull off the shifter knob with some strength it will come off. Then pull the black trim piece out. You should (from what she described it as) find a white lever. This is the manual override. Wala.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in