Oil Leak Near Valve Cover Gasket - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 1 Old 05-13-2018, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Question Oil Leak Near Valve Cover Gasket

So I am chasing an oil leak in my vehicle. It is coming from pretty high up on the block. My picture was taken underneath the front right of the engine looking up... for some reason this site uploaded the picture upside down...

I originally thought it was the oil pan gasket until I noticed oil residue much higher than the oil pan. Then I thought it was the crankshaft pulley seal until, like I said above, I noticed oil higher than that. I can feel below the back left of the valve cover and pull my hand away with small amounts of oil on my fingers.

The only thing I can think of that would leak up there is the valve cover gasket. I pulled the valve cover off and noticed that oil was getting passed the gasket into the screw post right around where I was getting oil on my hand. If you've ever removed the valve cover, it's right where the engine block isn't perfectly machined flat and the gasket has some RTV sealant to make up for it (I was shocked to see this... they couldn't machine that flat?!)

Correct me if I am wrong, but I noticed that the screw posts into the block that secure the valve cover are drilled completely through the block and have outlet holes in the bottom. I think the oil was making it's way past the gasket and into the screw post... dripping down the left side of the engine block.

Anyone experience this or have any tips? I went ahead and replaced the valve cover gasket and applied new RTV on those two locations. We'll see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180512_154446.jpg (72.2 KB, 11 views)

2007 Jeep Compass
2.4L FWD
110K miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in