E15 or 88 octane gasoline - Jeep Compass Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By rriggs

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 06-27-2018, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
E15 or 88 octane gasoline

Recently gas stations around me have started selling 88 octane rating or e15 gas ive done some research on it and it says compatible to car produced the year 2001 or newer i have a 2009 Compass 2.4L engine wondering if anyone has tried this new gas espically now its about 30 cents cheaper than regular unleaded.

Just Jeepin'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-27-2018, 04:22 PM

If its something you want to drive into the ground, I'd stick with the regular fuel. If you plan to sell or trade it in 2-3 years then run whatever garbage fuel you want. Ethanol is one of those things that I got such a distaste for when it first rolled out I am heavily biased against it and remain so to this day, even if they have improved the formula and made the engines more compatible. I don't want it. I want good, clean gas with the proper amount of detergents and additives to keep my motor clean, and nothing else.

I haven't investigated on this buggy yet (too new still) but many manufactures have been going away from user-replaceable fuel filters and I don't like that. Without a $5 safety net for gunk that I can easily roll under the car and replace I am keenly interested above all-else in making sure whatever goes into the tank is clean. I won't buy fuel at a station that is getting refilled and having the gunk in the underground tank all stirred up.

I don't like extra things being added to the gas to "make it go farther". I don't put water in my beer to try to get more beer. I just want the beer. Doesn't even have to be fancy premium beer (I get nothing out of the extra expense), just give. me. beer! Erm, I mean, gas. Right.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-27-2018, 07:43 PM

Garage
fyi higher alcohol = lower mpg

2018 Compass Latitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-27-2018, 08:55 PM

While technically 88 should be ok that just seems really low to me especially for a new car.

Maybe itís because here in the U.K. the lowest you can get is 95 that 88 seems a bit extreme to me
post #5 of 8 Old 06-28-2018, 11:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rriggs View Post
While technically 88 should be ok that just seems really low to me especially for a new car.

Maybe itís because here in the U.K. the lowest you can get is 95 that 88 seems a bit extreme to me
i was informed by my dealer at purchase the compass was designed f0r 87 octane, and there is no need for anything higher

95? heck highest i ever see is 93, you may get 95 at an airport..............

2018 Compass Latitude
post #6 of 8 Old 06-28-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rriggs
87 is the regular fuel in the United States and that is what all normal cars here are tuned to run on. The manual here states that regular 87 is recommended and nothing else, it says in the book there is no benefit to using higher octane fuel (and they are correct).

Is it possible to squeeze a tiny bit more power out of higher octane fuel? Sure, in theory, but not just by dumping the high octane fuel in. With the amount of computer control that exists over the engine, it really just comes down to tune. You should run what the manual says the car was programmed for, and it will usually be programmed for the typical fuel in your region of the world. A hundredth of a second of adjustment in ignition timing is probably all it boils down to. Running high octane fuel in something programmed for 87 won't get any benefit, because it is still doing the timing for 87 fuel while your extra money goes out the tailpipe.

Ever notice that in general marketing the 2.4 Multiair II Tigershark is advertised as producing 184 HP, but in the United States on the Jeep website it is advertised as 180 HP for the Compass? This, in my mind, is undoubtedly a result of the 87 octane tune for our typical fuel here. A tiny bit less power to run the regular affordable commonplace fuel. I don't really mind, it is what it is.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-28-2018, 04:56 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Didnít know that octanes were generally as low as that in the US. Premium petrol here is 98-99 octane.

I run a diesel so donít worry about octane myself anyway...
arudlang likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-02-2018, 08:29 PM

Something I learned today, octane isn't really any lower in the united states fuel, its just measured differently here resulting in lower advertised numbers for essentially the same fuel. Most of Europe's fuel is sold by its RON number, while in the USA its sold under a number derived by taking the average of the fuel's RON and MON numbers. I won't go into any more detail than that, having just learned this myself I'm in no position to be giving any lessons but if it piqued your interest you can google it to your hearts content.

Cheers.
post #9 of 8 Old 07-05-2018, 06:48 PM

Interesting. Didn’t know that. Bit like the US gallons not being the right size I guess

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in