Jeep Compass Diesel in Canada? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 28 Old 03-07-2008, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Jeep Compass Diesel in Canada?

After seeing reports like this one:
http://www.truckblog.com/story-1714-cou ... r_of_jeeps

I really, really, really, REALLY wish Jeep of Canada would bring a CRD diesel Compass to the market. We don't have the same tight diesel regulations as the US (we have the Smart car in diesel in Canada but it's gas in the US).

I know if I could buy a Compass CRD in Canada I'd buy one in a heartbeat!! No questions asked. Jeep has already put out a Liberty diesel and Grand Cherokee diesel so obviously they're "testing the waters".

Hey Jeep if you're listening. Even if you want to "test the waters" with a Jeep Compass CRD here in Canada, you can send one to me and I'll test it for you.

I just sent them an e-mail here begging them to bring the CRD Compass to the Canadian market:
http://www-5.jeep.ca/wccs-ca/index_en.jsp

I encourage you to do the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 03-10-2008, 05:49 PM

Re: Jeep Compass Diesel in Canada?

Did you get a response from Chrysler?

:

2008 Jeep Compass Limited 4X4 (CVT)
post #3 of 28 Old 03-10-2008, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Nope. Does that surprise me? Nope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 03-11-2008, 04:57 PM

Reading that amost makes me want to cry... I'm running around 11-12 Lt/100 k. And at 1.15 a liter it gets expensive.
post #5 of 28 Old 03-18-2008, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

I got a reply, I guess it just takes a few weeks

Quote:
We appreciate your interest in the purchase of a Jeep Compass CRD. We
currently do not have any information on whether this vehicle will be
available in Canada in the future. The determination to manufacture and
sell a particular vehicle in a given market is based on careful study of
market conditions, and may be affected by numerous factors, including
production capacity, material availability and customer demand. Valued
feedback from customers such as yourself is an integral part of this
process.

Authorized information regarding current and future vehicles is made
available through periodic updates to our website, and through our
product information line at 1-800-361-3700.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us!
post #6 of 28 Old 03-18-2008, 05:40 PM

Wow, that's impressive that you even got a response. And a fairly informative response. Not just the usual "This is currently not a route we are taking. Good day."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 28 Old 03-18-2008, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

I still encourage everyone living in Canada who wants a 66mpg Compass diesel to contact them ASAP. Maybe if enough people e-mail them they might get the message.

I sure as hell would buy one TODAY if they offered a diesel Compass. And I'm certain they'd get more non-Compass people into the showroom too!

The Grand Cherokee diesel just doesn't cut it. It still only gets 31mpg on the highway, my Compass does better than that!
post #8 of 28 Old 03-19-2008, 11:53 AM

Garage

I think keeping us driving high consumption vehicles in somebody else's agenda.
Somebody profits BIG on a per liter basis (read oil companies and governments) so as long as we have money they will keep sucking it. Economic depression would force them to offer us better economy.

China has taken over our manufacturing and are now building cars (yes even Jeeps), and the rapid growing middle class in China is starting to use more and more gas.
I am afraid it will be them who will develop and make economic, fuel efficient vehicles to feed the world market first (anybody old enough to remember how Japan entered our market with cheap Honda motorcycles and tinny Toyota Corollas in the '60s?).
If this happens I fear it will spell the end to our industrial base in N.America.
We can all look for service jobs at Walmart, McD's, or 7/11s and hope Chinese goods still remain affordable to us.
Oh I am way too gloomy this morning - sorry all.

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

post #9 of 28 Old 03-20-2008, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2canoe
...I am afraid it will be them (Chinese) who will develop and make economic, fuel efficient vehicles to feed the world market first (anybody old enough to remember how Japan entered our market with cheap Honda motorcycles and tinny Toyota Corollas in the '60s?)....
I've been a bit bitter lately with so called "Domestic" / North American automakers. I even test drove an 08 Civic last week. If it wasn't for the fact that AWD is nice to have here and I need to tow a PWC, I'd have bought it. 52mpg on the highway and 38 in town.
post #10 of 28 Old 03-20-2008, 11:53 PM

Webmaster,
I can understand your frustration, I suffer from the same thing every time I fill the tank. It is one of the reasons I have traditionally bought imports. Of course then I remember the last economy car I bought.

The Compass is actually fuel efficient for an AWD crossover. That being said, the inability to get small diesel cars/cuvs is an abomination, period.

As for the "can't meet emissions" argument, the answer should be; Why not? What have you been spending R&D dollars on?

I don't know who makes the decisions as to what vehicles to make available where, but the reality is that the world market is becoming more homogenized. The idea that American buyers would not buy the same kinds of cars that are available in Europe is so far behind the times, it is rediculous.
post #11 of 28 Old 03-21-2008, 02:47 PM
kwc

66mpg diesel? are you serious about that gas mileage? wow, if that were true, and Jeep/Chrysler met the emissions requirements with it, then this car/drivetrain would be a top seller for sure.

I don't know if this is the case in other places, but around here (upstate NY), diesel fuel costs about 90 cents MORE per gallon than regular unleaded. And our state fuel taxes for diesel and gasoline are exactly the same ... so, where's the added cost coming from? Is the added cost a result of emissions regulations that require low sulphur fuel? or something like that?
post #12 of 28 Old 03-22-2008, 10:46 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwc
... so, where's the added cost coming from?
NOT REFINING THE CRUDE!

And as important a question . . . where is the added cost going?

Loved
my 2007 Compass 5-Speed, Limited!

{BUT NOW SOOO IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CRUSH WRANGLER!}

-[OIIIIIIO]-

"No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy, even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength."
~Jack Kerouac

“Everybody must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing.”
-Henry David Thoreau

post #13 of 28 Old 07-07-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaster
I still encourage everyone living in Canada who wants a 66mpg Compass diesel to contact them ASAP. Maybe if enough people e-mail them they might get the message.

I sure as hell would buy one TODAY if they offered a diesel Compass. And I'm certain they'd get more non-Compass people into the showroom too!

The Grand Cherokee diesel just doesn't cut it. It still only gets 31mpg on the highway, my Compass does better than that!
I contacted them a while ago and got a response similar to yours.

post #14 of 28 Old 07-07-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwc
66mpg diesel? are you serious about that gas mileage? wow, if that were true, and Jeep/Chrysler met the emissions requirements with it, then this car/drivetrain would be a top seller for sure.

I don't know if this is the case in other places, but around here (upstate NY), diesel fuel costs about 90 cents MORE per gallon than regular unleaded. And our state fuel taxes for diesel and gasoline are exactly the same ... so, where's the added cost coming from? Is the added cost a result of emissions regulations that require low sulphur fuel? or something like that?
Diesel used to cost LESS than Gasoline here in Ontario - until about 2 years ago. Now it costs about 10 cents more a litre.

It actually costs LESS to Refine Diesel than Gasoline so it makes No Sense why Diesel now costs more than Gasoline.

:evil:

post #15 of 28 Old 07-07-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005
Diesel used to cost LESS than Gasoline here in Ontario - until about 2 years ago. Now it costs about 10 cents more a litre.

It actually costs LESS to Refine Diesel than Gasoline so it makes No Sense why Diesel now costs more than Gasoline.

With the increase demand for gasoline in China the refineries have been increasing their output of gasoline and reducing diesel bumping up the cost of diesel.

post #16 of 28 Old 07-09-2008, 02:03 AM

65 miles to the gallon? Damn right I would buy one, especially since I cn buy cheap bio-diesel in my area.
post #17 of 28 Old 07-19-2008, 10:54 PM

Same here.. our gas is up to 1.39/litre.
post #18 of 28 Old 09-12-2008, 03:22 PM

http://www.cleangreencars.co.uk/jsp/cgc ... een%20Cars

Wow!
:!:

post #19 of 28 Old 11-18-2008, 06:58 AM

Diesel is costing more because there is more products produce from a barrel of crude when they make gas. The extra material from the barrel of crude is then used for paint thinners, addhesives, and a whole bunch of high profit products that they can't get if the produce diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwc

post #20 of 28 Old 11-18-2008, 07:19 AM

I have 2006 Liberty Limited CDR and love the preformance and economy. My average is 8.2lt per 100km or around 30mpg american galon. This is great for a four cyl 5000 lb vehicle that tows like ther is nothing hooked on. A very brief little turbo lag but when it kicks in the Jeep preforms like a V8.

The sad part is Libety CDR is not available anymore, just the gas guzzling v6 3.7

I have tried the Grand Cherokee diesel and it is nice but I don't care for bigger vehicles.

I would love to see a Diesel , Compa or Patriot. It would be on my shopping list.
post #21 of 28 Old 11-20-2008, 05:15 PM

Garage

I don't know why you guys complain about gas mileage we get on the Jeep Compass, my 08 4x4 5 speed Compass makes about the same mileage (maybe just a little less efficient) than my 2000 Dodge Neon I gave for exchange at the dealer! The new world engine 2.4L with Dual VVT and Freedom-Drive I active full-time 4x4 technology gives incredibly low gas consumption, come on it's an SUV and it's 4X4, what do you guys expect?? If you want something cheap on gas, then buy a Fit or a Smart, but it's not the same kind of vehicule... Think about people driving V6/V8 full size SUVs, that's another story. I think this vehicule is the perfect balance between a small car and a truck.

I still love my Compass, even with the actual price of gas.

My 2 cents.

FliPPeR
------------
2008 Bright Silver North Edition 4x4 manual trans.
post #22 of 28 Old 11-21-2008, 10:55 AM

Hi Flipper;
It's not all about milage and economy. We need preformance also.

They have Compass diesel models in the UK, Its the volkswagan 2lt diesel and they are changing to the Mercedes 2.2lt Bluetec diesel.

My love of diesel is for the low end troque and pulling power as I have a Polaris Ranger side by side ATV (about 1600 lbs) for sport outing and the world 2.4lt gas engine is a little under power for towing.

Another nice setup in the Compass would be the turbo charged Caliber 2.4 SRT engine.

Like I said the v6 liberty is a gas guzzler and I don't want to go up to the Grand Cherokke to get the diesel for pulling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper
I don't know why you guys complain about gas mileage we get on the Jeep Compass, my 08 4x4 5 speed Compass makes about the same mileage (maybe just a little less efficient) than my 2000 Dodge Neon I gave for exchange at the dealer! The new world engine 2.4L with Dual VVT and Freedom-Drive I active full-time 4x4 technology gives incredibly low gas consumption, come on it's an SUV and it's 4X4, what do you guys expect?? If you want something cheap on gas, then buy a Fit or a Smart, but it's not the same kind of vehicule... Think about people driving V6/V8 full size SUVs, that's another story. I think this vehicule is the perfect balance between a small car and a truck.

My 2 cents.
post #23 of 28 Old 11-26-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwc
As a long time diesel burner, I can testify to its great mileage. I drove a turbo diesel Jetta for years. It was especially great when diesel was cheaper than gas. Getting 800+ Kms out of a tank was fantastic. But unfortunately, as demand for diesel grows, so does the price. Since it can now be much more expensive than gas, the benefits diminish. They have some down sides, which have much improved with newer vehicles I believe. Based on my old turbo diesel Jetta... diesel engines are more expensive to fix, less environmentally friendly, noisier. Also you'd need a turbo to get some decent get up and go. But newer vehicles would be better in terms of noise & pollution. Europe is big into diesel, and our local Chysler dealer was at one point expecting to see more diesel options coming for North America, but they seem to have backed off that idea now.
post #24 of 28 Old 11-26-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper

My 2 cents.
Well I agree with you. I also traded in a 'Neon' (2004 Dodge SX 2.0 actually), and found the mileage fairly similar. I'm not at all unhappy with my Compass' mileage. Part of that may be that I drive the Compass differently.

I think sometimes people get comparing actual mileage to their vehicles advertised mileage and become disappointed. Then they turn around and start comparing their actual mileage to the advertised mileage of other vehicles, as if other vehicle's estimated mileages aren't also skewed. The fact is the estimates are based on government standards, and on every vehicle sold in Canada the vehicles sticker will read "actual mileage may vary", because they know darn well it will vary.
post #25 of 28 Old 06-09-2009, 03:57 PM

Jeep Compass Diesel in Canada

You know this opens the door for you to pick up a third Jeep, right?
Honey, we can use it for... or I need it in case...
Because with a second Jeep, they start calling to other Jeeps, inviting them to come over and stay. I know because Ive been looking at a deal on a square-eyed stepchild YJ lately.
You can also probably justify a tow-rig and trailer now too.
post #26 of 28 Old 09-08-2009, 02:28 PM

diesel compass?!?!
post #27 of 28 Old 09-08-2009, 02:44 PM

John and Helen Taylor standing next to the Patriot and Compass FE challenge entrants.

Video- http://blog.chryslerllc.com/blog.do?id=293&p=entry

Geneva - Improving fuel economy of vehicles is a hot issue in the minds of consumers, manufacturers and even governments today. While auto companies slowly push the technology, there are quite a number of tips that any driver can employ to achieve world-class fuel economy.

The 2.0L turbo-diesel equipped and 4WD Jeep Compass and Patriot were recently driven on a fuel economy challenge by hypermilers John and Helen Taylor. Both vehicles were standard, series production models traveling on normal roads, at realistic speeds and in a variety of weather and traffic conditions.

Driving from London to Berlin with fuel to spare, they continued on with a final stop in Poland. Final distances and fill data revealed the following. John achieved 698.4 miles at 56.3 mpg US in the Patriot and Helen pulled in after 658 miles at 55.3 mpg US in the Compass. This was more than a 50% improvement over the NEDC combined ratings of the two vehicles!

For verification, the fuel tanks of both vehicles were sealed at the start of the journey and the odometer verified. Fueling at the start and conclusion of the challenge was verified by independents riding along for the drive.

“We used simple fuel economy driving techniques that any driver could replicate,” said John Taylor. “There is no hidden secret to what we achieved on this drive, and by following the same simple actions, I am confident that any motorist can achieve outstandingfuel efficency gains.”

By far the most important factor in the reduction of fuel consumption is the driver. The rule is simple: slow down and take it easy.

Basic setup and techniques Drive Smoothly

Aggressive driving can use as much as a third more fuel compared to conservative driving. Avoid accelerating or braking too hard, and try to keep the steering action as smooth as possible.

Use Higher Gears

The higher the gear, the lower the engine speed. This can improve fuel efficiency, so use the highest gear appropriate, without causing the engine to labor at an ultra-low rpm. Automatic transmission vehicles will upshift through the gears more quickly and smoothly if the driver eases back slightly on the accelerator when the car has gathered sufficient momentum.

Tune and Service the Engine

A well tuned engine can improve fuel economy by up to four percent. Change the oil and always follow the car manufacturer’s recommendation on servicing.

Keep the Tires at the Correct Pressure

Correctly inflated tires are safer and last longer, and they also reduce the amount of energy required to keep the vehicle rolling. A tire that is under inflated by just 1 psi can reduce fuel efficiency by as much as three percent.

Avoid Carrying Excess Weight

For every extra 100 pounds carried in a vehicle, the fuel efficiency can drop by two percent, so keep the trunk and rear seat clear of any unnecessary items that just add weight to the vehicle.

Take the Roof Rack Off

If the roof rack or roof bars are not being used, then remove them. They adversely affect the aerodynamic efficiency of the vehicle and create drag, reducing fuel economy by as much as five percent.

Use the Correct Engine Oil

Always use the recommended grade of motor oil. Using the manufacturer’s recommended lubricant can improve fuel efficiency by one or two percent. Higher quality motor oils can also help your engine operate more efficiently.

Avoid Excess Idling

Idling gets a vehicle nowhere but still burns fuel. Turn the engine off when you’re in a queue, or waiting for someone, until you need to drive.

Avoid High Speeds

The faster you travel, the more wind resistance you’ll encounter and the more fuel your vehicle will consume just to maintain speed. Driving just five mph over the speed limit can affect fuel economy by up to 23 percent.

Maintain the Distance

Leaving a sensible distance between your car and the vehicle in front gives the driver ample time to anticipate obstacles and to brake evenly.

Use Air Conditioning Sparingly

Air conditioning puts added strain on the engine and uses additional fuel when operating, so limit its use to particularly hot days. On temperate days, use the fan instead of air conditioning.

Check the Air Filter

The air filter keeps impurities from damaging your engine. Replacing a clogged air filter can improve fuel economy by as much as 10 percent while helping to protect your engine.

Avoid Rush Hour or Traffic Jam Hotspots

If you can travel outside of peak times and avoid known areas of heavy traffic, you’ll spend less time stuck in queues and slow-moving traffic, thus consuming less fuel.

Conserve Momentum

Think ahead when driving. For example, slow down early to let red traffic lights change to green, rather than stopping completely. Also, speed up a little before reaching the start of a hill and then allow the vehicle’s momentum to carry the vehicle up the hill without working the engine harder.

Keep Calm

When drivers are not calm, they are more likely to make judgment errors. Fuel efficiency is all about smoothness. Judgment and keeping calm is absolutely crucial to achieving fuel economy.

Use handbrakes instead of the clutch on rising slopes

Some motorists do not use the handbrake when stopping their vehicle on a slope. Instead, they either partially disengage the clutch (on manual transmission vehicles), or use the accelerator (on automatic vehicles), to keep the vehicles from rolling back. Both actions use fuel unnecessarily.

Note: They have broken their own word record in 2009. Using a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI – and their specially-designed Goodyear Fuel MaX tires. The Taylors suggest that these tires were one of the main ingredients that allowed them to better their previous economy record. Goodyear estimates that the Fuel Max hoops offer up a four-percent boost in fuel efficiency.

Jeep is a way of life, not just transportation.

Last edited by CompassLimited; 09-10-2009 at 03:38 AM.
post #28 of 28 Old 09-09-2009, 04:21 AM

Good info CL, driving technique can make a big difference.

|
|

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in