[Fixed] Malfunction Light : Bad Battery Connection - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 07-03-2008, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
[Fixed] Malfunction Light : Bad Battery Connection

[I had previously created and deleted a topic similar to this, because I assumed the problem was a stupid little gas cap. But now that the problem has expanded and it was unrelated to the gas cap, I thought I should repost the story for info and discussion.]

I'm nearing the end of my 36,000 mile warranty, currently at around 34,500 and I'm having issues with my Compass. Over the past few days my Malfunction light has came on and remained on while driving. I checked the manual and it says it's okay to drive as long as the light doesn't start flashing.

After speaking to the dealership, I was told that it was possibly my gas cap not being tight enough. So I thought Okay, I'll just try that. But the light coming on didn't really line up with the last time I refueled. I adjusted the gas cap and the next time I started my car, and the light was off next time I started my car. So I assumed this was the issue.

Now two days later, it's a crazy adventure when driving my car. At random moments all the electrical components in "****pit" of the car will turn off and then back on. Making the chime, similar to that of startup. It's almost like the car stalling, except the engine is still running. The radio, EVIC, Mileage, etc (not sure about speedometer, will check next time) all turn off. It doesn't seem to effect the engine too much, but the transmission feels stiff and sluggish. I don't really loose control or anything. Or maybe it just hasn't stayed off long enough for me to notice control loss. The malfunction light is now back on.

I called the dealership and the next available appt is next Wednesday. I'm somewhat disappointed, since I'm driving around a car that randomly looses power. I'm praying that driving around like this isn't causing more damage. I'm avoiding driving when possible, but when I need to drive, I drive. I'm hoping the issues don't get any worse and that I'll make it until Wednesday.

I'm curious if anyone else has had an malfunction light issues or electrical problems, and what the outcome was.

Jeep Compass LIMITED 4x2 - Jeep Green
*Driver Package
*Security Package
*Boston Speaker Upgrade
*U-Connect Connectivity
*Sirius Sat. Radio
*Pin-Strip
*Wheel Locks
*Black Vent Visors
*LED Multi-Color Underglow
*Rallye Body Kit [Pending Installation]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-04-2008, 01:29 AM

Re: Malfunction Light

I would not screw around with this.

If it had less miles on it, I would say check the fuse box and make sure all the fuses are properly seated. That was a common problem that matched your symptoms.

There have been reports about ignition modules going bad as well. This seems to match what I read on the Patriot forum. You might want to do a search.

If it is the fuse, it is an easy fix. If not, you need to stop driving the car as you are going to get stranded.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-06-2008, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage

So I had a friend come over that has a DTC Scanner and we did a scan on my vehicle. It came back with two codes, P0700 & P161B. After doing some searches on the internet this is what we came up with.

P0700 Transmission Control System Malfunction

P161B- Might have something to do with a sparkplug, as we found on one site saying "Glowplug for Cylinder 2 (Q11): Open Circuit P161B - 000 - - - Intermittent"

Now I know what to look for when they do service on my car Wednesday.

*Driver Package
*Security Package
*Boston Speaker Upgrade
*U-Connect Connectivity
*Sirius Sat. Radio
*Pin-Strip
*Wheel Locks
*Black Vent Visors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-06-2008, 01:35 AM

Got to love electronics.
Glow plugs are used on diesels.

I am guessing that it might be a coil pack?

I am really curious as to how close the real problem is to the thrown codes...

Watch it be something stupid like a bad connection...
post #5 of 7 Old 07-06-2008, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnRoad
Got to love electronics.
Glow plugs are used on diesels.
I am guessing that it might be a coil pack?
Well the glowplugs is from another site, where the car might be a diesel, but that was the only page I could find mentioning the code P161B.

*Driver Package
*Security Package
*Boston Speaker Upgrade
*U-Connect Connectivity
*Sirius Sat. Radio
*Pin-Strip
*Wheel Locks
*Black Vent Visors
post #6 of 7 Old 07-09-2008, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage

UPDATE:

I went to the dealer today. I told them about all the problems I've been experiencing, they said they would check everything out and do the oil change and tire rotation. After an hour and half they were all done. It turns out the battery was leaking at the positive connection, causing corrosion that led to a bad connection. During startup, produced the other errors, because the systems were not getting enough power. They replaced the battery under warranty and said everything else checked out fine.

So moral of the story is, it may look really bad, but it could be something simple. I have a pretty long trip (Tampa to Atlanta) coming up which should be a good test run.

*Driver Package
*Security Package
*Boston Speaker Upgrade
*U-Connect Connectivity
*Sirius Sat. Radio
*Pin-Strip
*Wheel Locks
*Black Vent Visors
post #7 of 7 Old 07-10-2008, 09:08 PM

Re: [Fixed] Malfunction Light : Bad Battery Connection

All that for a simple battery connection! You would of thought they would of started there in the first place!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in