Front suspension clunking issue to report.... - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 4 Old 09-18-2008, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

Front suspension clunking issue to report....

Hello all!

I just wanted to post this up here for anyone else who might experience it.

About a month after getting our 2008 Compass at the beginning of June '08, we started to experience a clunking/popping sensation/noise in the front floorpan when accelerating away from a stop. The feeling/sound would intensify based on how hard of a stop and level of acceleration was used. The clunk/pop would also only happen once per incident. The clunking was NOT ongoing after the initial take off.

The first time we took it into the dealership, they told us they tightened up some suspension bolts, and couldn't detect it any more.

Within a day, we felt the same problem start to occur again, although it WAS much better than before. Within a week however, the problem was back nearly as bad as before.

THIS time when we take it in, the dealership admits that there is some kind of TSB bulletin out about this problem, and it's going to require that two new bolts be replaced in the A arms (or at least I'm guessing that's where they were, based on the problem).

The dealership was able to make the repair the same day, and we picked it up the next morning. The good news is, it does appear that replacing these bolts was exactly what was needed, because we have had NO reoccurance of the issue for the past week.

Since we didn't experience the problem for the first month of ownership, I'll leave the final verdict open for awhile, but it's looking good so far!

The bottom line is: If any of you out there experience this problem, don't let the dealer fart around and "tighten" the suspension. Ask for the bolt replacement the *first* time around.

-CS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-18-2008, 05:51 PM

Re: Front suspension clunking issue to report....

I had various front end issues/noises with my Compass. At 30,000 km they replaced 2 tie-rod ends (clunking). I had a squeak that showed up occasionally throughout the 2 years of ownership.

With that said, it seems most Compass owners haven't had front end noise issues.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-19-2008, 07:26 PM

On some of the Compass/Patriot/Caliber/Avengers, some cars had the lower control arm front mounting bolts improperly torqued at the factory. There is a Rapid Response Transmittal on these vehicles to check the bolt torque, if they are above 92 lb.ft., they are ok, if they are below, the bolts need to be replaced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-13-2008, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

An update:

Well it's been over a month and 1k+ miles now since the front suspension bolts were replaced, and I'm HAPPY to report that there's still no signs of clunking/popping!

So, at this point I'm going to chalk this problem up as BUSTED!

:P

-CS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in