My Jeep Compass Forum banner

Differential Fluid Change

39K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  4x4GP 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,

First forum post. Recently went to a "quick lube place" do get a last minute job done(normally do them myself) and the suggestion was made to change the differential fluid. I imagine I shouldn't have much trouble doing it myself (I'm somewhat mechanically inclined) though I'm also not the most savvy with automotive repairs-yet. Being 4X4, I understand I have a rear diff and a power transfer unit to change the fluids of, correct? Any insight to my ambitions to save money would be greatly appreciated.

Also, besides a basic understanding of how to change the fluid in the average differential...I'm having difficulty finding the torque specs for the filler/drain plugs for said parts...or any parts for that matter. Are there any websites or resources someone can recommend to know these numbers?

Thanks everyone!

2007 Jeep Compass Sport
120,000km
4X4 2.4 L DOHC

#2 ·
Done, and done. For anyone curious, I managed to find a service manual for my compass, and it tells all. It was a little vague about the power transfer unit, and upon opening the fill plug, I was surprised by a stream of transmission fluid! As it turns out, the tansmission and power transfer unit share the fluid through a common sump! With the transmission refilled, all is good.

Happy driving!

2007 Jeep Compass Sport
4X4 2.4L 4-inline VVT
123,000km

#7 · (Edited)
Done, and done. For anyone curious, I managed to find a service manual for my compass, and it tells all. It was a little vague about the power transfer unit, and upon opening the fill plug, I was surprised by a stream of transmission fluid! As it turns out, the tansmission and power transfer unit share the fluid through a common sump! With the transmission refilled, all is good.
I am confused. the manual list gear oil for the power transfer unit and atf for my manual transmission(07 compass). how can they use a common sump? the different transmissions? I am trying to find a good "how to" before I change both.
--- so I changed the power transfer unit gear oil, no problem. still looking for info on the manual transmission fluid change

#3 ·
03 - Differential and Driveline/Rear Driveline Module/Standard Procedure
STANDARD PROCEDURE - DRAIN AND FILL

1. Remove fill plug (1) and drain plug (2). Drain fluid.
2. Install drain plug (2) and tighten to 32 N·m (24 ft.lb.).
3. Fill with MOPAR® MS 9020 SAE 80W90 Gear Lube to bottom of fill plug.
4. Install fill plug (1) and tighten to 32 N·m (24 ft.lb.).

21 - Transmission and Transfer Case/Power Transfer Unit/Standard Procedure
STANDARD PROCEDURE - DRAIN AND FILL

1. If fluid level is low or fluid change is required fill with MOPAR® MS 9020 SAE 80W90 Gear Lube until to bottom of fill plug.
2. Tighten fill plug (1) to 32 N·m (24 ft.lbs.).
3. Tighten drain plug (2) to 32 N·m (24 ft.lbs.).

#4 ·
Thanks for posting that! I have exactly the same schematic from my manual. They have great pictures and directions to go along with the DIY repairs.

Next up is the replacement of the upper control arms of the rear suspension!

Squeak squeak, from my Jeep! :cool:

#5 ·
hey related to this thread is there anything different about changing the diff gasket. mine diff leaks and i need to replace the fluid and seal it up the leak. ive done a few regular diffs but not this one ?? should also replace the rear wheel seals as well im told. any help?

#6 ·
Maybe a dumb question, but How much gear lube does it normally take? I'm going to pick up all the stuff for my mechanic to teach me next weekend, and I wasn't sure how much to grab.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.