Remote Start Questions - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 Old 01-22-2013, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Remote Start Questions

I have the stock remote start in my 2011 Compass. I had some questions about its operation:

1) What happens if you try to use the remote start right after you just tried. For mine I have to push a button two times to get the remote start to engage. I'm just wondering what happens if you push the button two times again before it's had a chance to start.

2) What happens if you try to use the remote start while the vehicle is already running? For example, say you can't see your vehicle and you're unsure if it started the first time, so you try again - not knowing if it's already running or not.

3) Is there a way to shut your vehicle off after it's been started with the remote start without going out to the vehicle? Like a way to cancel the remote start once it's already been running??

Thank you!

2011 Jeep Compass
Latitude 4x4
2.4L, CVT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-23-2013, 01:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy2423 View Post
1) What happens if you try to use the remote start right after you just tried. For mine I have to push a button two times to get the remote start to engage. I'm just wondering what happens if you push the button two times again before it's had a chance to start.
setting aside you'd need to be pretty quick fingered for that to happen since there's only about 2 seconds between the honks and the start, it would either abort the remote start (see below for why) or it would do nothing at all.

Quote:
2) What happens if you try to use the remote start while the vehicle is already running? For example, say you can't see your vehicle and you're unsure if it started the first time, so you try again - not knowing if it's already running or not.
if you successfully remote started the car, and you attempt to do so again, as soon as it receives the signal from you again it will shut down (see below for why).

Quote:
3) Is there a way to shut your vehicle off after it's been started with the remote start without going out to the vehicle? Like a way to cancel the remote start once it's already been running??
simply press the button once if the vehicle is currently running and it will shut off.

other important notes about the remote start system:
  • you must press the button on your key twice to activate the remote start system to prevent an accidental start while the key is in your pocket.
  • when you activate the remote start, the car will first lock the car.
  • it will then honk the horn either once or twice. twice means it will start, once means it will not (for various reasons listed below). If your car is equipped with the upgraded EVIC display on your gauge cluster, a message will tell you WHY the car did not start if it failed to do so.
  • after a successful start, the car will activate the parking lights so that you can see from a distance that it is running.
  • after a successful start, the car will analyze the environment. if it is cold out, it will put the heat on the front defroster at full blast. if it is warm out, it will blast the AC at full blast through the upper vents. it will do both of these functions regardless of your climate control settings. if you open any door other than the driver's door, the climate controls will continue to act in this manner. as soon as the driver's door is opened, the climate controls will immediately begin to act as you have them set on the controls, or will work automatically if your car is a Limited with automatic climate controls.
  • the car will stay running for 15 minutes and then shut down.
  • if it starts and the CEL or the low fuel light is on, it will then shut down and you will not be able to use the remote start again until you get in the car and turn the key in the ignitian to reset the system.
  • you can only use the remote start system three times (for a total of 45 minutes max) without getting in the car and turning the key to ON. on the fourth attempt, the car will honk the horn one time and the remote start will no longer function until you put the key in the ignitian and turn like above.
  • after a successful start, press the remote start button on the key one time to shut the car down. the car will immediately shut down and the parking lights will extinguish to let you know that you have successfuly shut down the car. this will count as one start towards the three total starts.
  • if you use the PANIC button on the key for any reason, the remote start system will be disabled until you put the key in the ignitian to reset the system.
  • while running, if the liftgate, hood, or any door is opened without first being unlocked by the key, the car will immediately shut down. pressing the UNLOCK button on your key fob after a successful remote start disables this security feature.
  • while running, if either the gas or brake pedal is pressed without the doors first being unlocked by the key, the car will immediately shut down. pressing the UNLOCK button on your key fob after a successful remote start disables this security feature.

i think that's everything, i made that list off of memory. if i think of anything else i'll add it.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-23-2013, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Holy crap! This response was great! I've never seen such an informative response that actually answers my questions!!!!
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

2011 Jeep Compass
Latitude 4x4
2.4L, CVT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-23-2013, 02:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Holy crap! This response was great! I've never seen such an informative response that actually answers my questions!!!!
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!
it was early and i was bored anything else let me know
post #5 of 6 Old 01-23-2013, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

lol Glad I caught you at a time when you were bored!
I'll let you know if any other questions come to mind.
Thanks again!

2011 Jeep Compass
Latitude 4x4
2.4L, CVT
post #6 of 6 Old 11-29-2018, 04:32 PM

My remote start keeps giving me the message "Remote start aborted, hood ajar". But the hood is not ajar. Any advice on this one?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in