Starter noise? - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 9 Old 02-05-2013, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Starter noise?

Boy oh boy is my dealership gonna love me when I go in for the oil change at the end of the month. I have a whole list of issues to address!

The newest one just started yesterday. It seems when my vehicle sits for awhile - hours - when I go to start it, something isn't disengaging when I start it. Kinda sounds like when a vehicle is already running and you try to turn the key again and it makes that grinding sound. It happens right after the Jeep starts, makes the grinding sound for a split second, and then is fine. Any starts after that - within a short amount of time, not hours - results in a perfectly normal start, no noise. It's only when it's been sitting for awhile. Did it yesterday morning before work, did it again this morning, and I heard it do it after sitting for 4 hours when I went to leave work for lunch. I had to open a door at work to hear the remote start work because someone parked in front of me and blocked my view of the lights. And I heard it from quite a distance.

I'm not sure if this is cause for concern or not, but I will bring it up. I'll try to get a video of it tomorrow morning.

Anyone know what it might be? Flywheel? Bendix? I'm just guessing here! lol

2011 Jeep Compass
Latitude 4x4
2.4L, CVT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-05-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy2423 View Post
Boy oh boy is my dealership gonna love me when I go in for the oil change at the end of the month. I have a whole list of issues to address!

The newest one just started yesterday. It seems when my vehicle sits for awhile - hours - when I go to start it, something isn't disengaging when I start it. Kinda sounds like when a vehicle is already running and you try to turn the key again and it makes that grinding sound. It happens right after the Jeep starts, makes the grinding sound for a split second, and then is fine. Any starts after that - within a short amount of time, not hours - results in a perfectly normal start, no noise. It's only when it's been sitting for awhile. Did it yesterday morning before work, did it again this morning, and I heard it do it after sitting for 4 hours when I went to leave work for lunch. I had to open a door at work to hear the remote start work because someone parked in front of me and blocked my view of the lights. And I heard it from quite a distance.

I'm not sure if this is cause for concern or not, but I will bring it up. I'll try to get a video of it tomorrow morning.

Anyone know what it might be? Flywheel? Bendix? I'm just guessing here! lol
You have LEMON AID law in the USA. Surprised you have not used it. Get case # from Chrysler and have them and the dealer sort it out before your time is up.

As for the sound is sound as if the Bendix gear is hanging up engaging the Ring gear after its released. NEW START MOTOR!!

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-05-2013, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

The lemon law for North Dakota states that:

"The problem must be something that “substantially impairs the use and
market value of the passenger motor
vehicle,” and the dealer must be
given a “reasonable number of
attempts” to fix it.

Can't say that anything I've experienced with this has "substantially impaired" the use of my vehicle. It's been little annoyances here and there. And a lot of these things have been creeping up lately and then go away. Some just showed up recently so the dealership hasn't even been informed yet. The lemon law won't work for me!

Could the cold weather be contributing to this issue?

2011 Jeep Compass
Latitude 4x4
2.4L, CVT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-05-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
The lemon law for North Dakota states that:

"The problem must be something that “substantially impairs the use and
market value of the passenger motor
vehicle,” and the dealer must be
given a “reasonable number of
attempts” to fix it.

Can't say that anything I've experienced with this has "substantially impaired" the use of my vehicle. It's been little annoyances here and there. And a lot of these things have been creeping up lately and then go away. Some just showed up recently so the dealership hasn't even been informed yet. The lemon law won't work for me!

Could the cold weather be contributing to this issue?
Well with the history on your problems we could have started and be establish club buddies. I've been threw the School of Hard Knocks on this one and never graduated. Something comes up in life to knock me back to learning new things the very hard way.

Although the compass has settled down and only had tire cupping which results in a lot of highway noise. I believe it did that when I got it since the original tires were quite noisy on some surfaces and I thought they were tires after I put the Nokians on what a difference but its back and worst. Aparently a result of alignment being out. Normally thats the cause. Just haven't taken it in for it. They're build without adjustable arms etc and bolts and such have to be replaced in order to adjust thing. Weird but thats it dumb new tech.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-05-2013, 08:42 PM

I guess you did not get the cold weather package. LOL
We have the NORTH EDITION build here. Not the Florida build.

Where do park it? Refridgerated garage? Warehouse?

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

Last edited by tripplec; 02-05-2013 at 08:55 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-05-2013, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Here's the noise. Now, the times that it happened at home, I wasn't paying attention - one time I didn't know it was going to do it, the other time I had my mind on other things. The third time I was too far away to try to hear where it was coming from. But today, after work, it almost sounded like it was coming either from the middle of the engine compartment or maybe more towards the passenger side....

Maybe I'm wrong. I'm going to test it out a couple more times tonight, if I can, and then again tomorrow morning.

VID 20130205 00139 - YouTube

You can hear the noise at around 2 seconds.

2011 Jeep Compass
Latitude 4x4
2.4L, CVT
post #7 of 9 Old 02-05-2013, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
I guess you did not get the cold weather package. LOL
We have the NORTH EDITION build here. Not the Florida build.

Where do park it? Refridgerated garage? Warehouse?
lol Well I THOUGHT I had the cold weather package! lol I have the remote start, heated seats, block heater.... But I guess the rest of the parts weren't designed for cold weather.

During the day it sits outside and overnight it sits in a garage that's attached to the house but not heated. Makes noise either place as long as it sits long enough.

2011 Jeep Compass
Latitude 4x4
2.4L, CVT
post #8 of 9 Old 02-06-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
lol Well I THOUGHT I had the cold weather package! lol I have the remote start, heated seats, block heater.... But I guess the rest of the parts weren't designed for cold weather.

During the day it sits outside and overnight it sits in a garage that's attached to the house but not heated. Makes noise either place as long as it sits long enough.
Just tell the dealer (if its the same one) the starter is defective. It not releasing and grinding after a cold start. You want it fixed before it causes damage to the ring and teeth (Ring gear replacement is labour intensive). I've started mine below -20C without those issues. Poor parts it seems. Talk to the service manager if nothing is being resolved with each problem you bring in to them. If you don't get a warm fuzzy feeling. I'd would call Chrysler and open a complaint and request action listing problems. Its tough after the first phase of the warranty is gone and you're on the hook for it all.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #9 of 9 Old 02-06-2013, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

I think I might try calling today. I don't see why they couldn't squeeze me in because all they have to do is let it sit and then start it to hear the noise. And if not, I do have that video.

I think I'm going to have to file a complaint with Chrysler eventually. Probably soon. I'm about half way through the main part of the warranty.

2011 Jeep Compass
Latitude 4x4
2.4L, CVT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in