2007 Compass Horn / TIPM Issues - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 06-02-2013, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

2007 Compass Horn / TIPM Issues

Hey all,

My first post here. I have been searching every where for answer. I have a Jeep '07 Compass that has had more issues thank I care to detail. The most recent issue is my horn not working. The Jeep has 49,000 miles on it.

I took it to the dealership. They said they ran it through every test including corrosion, fuse and plugging the horn into a standalone connection. When the horn is connected to a standalone device they have it working. BUT when it's plugged into the TIPM it's not. So their theory is it MIGHT be the TIPM and it is now not under warranty. I've been told it's $979 to get the part and replace it. That of course, does not include the cost for the time the mechanic is going to work on it.

So my question is: anyone else have this problem? How do I get in contact with a district / regional manager in the Tonawanda, NY area to let them know this is unacceptable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-03-2013, 06:48 PM

Take it to and independant garage that specializes in electrical issues. They may have a solution of can bypass it. PS: I've gone through 4 or 5 already (under warranty) LOL

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-05-2013, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

TIPM --> Busted Horn

Thank you for the suggestion.

The local mechanics do not want to touch it because the vehicle only has 49,000 miles. The horn can not be bypassed it; we have tried, as has the dealership.

Chrysler really needs to go back old school, a horn is a horn, not a pc or part thereof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-05-2013, 02:14 AM

Well the TIPM replaced a typical power distribution box with relays, fuses and circuit breakers. Yes there are fuses in there but no relays as its all solid state electronic control circuits for a large part of the vehicle. Headlights, fog lights, PW etc and it programable. Head light delay and on/off when locking and opening doors is programmed in it as well as other things. It smart box. When something key goes wrong it can be a major head ache. An good auto electric specialty shop would be able to figure it out if there is one in the area. Short of that getting one from the wreckers, Calibre, Patriot are all the same.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-28-2013, 12:16 AM

Look at my post for "Temperamental Horn". My horn acted up like yours and I wound up taking the air bag cover off to investigate. It turned out to be dirty contacts.

It works fine now.

Good luck

2007 Jeep Compass Sport 4WD - Black
4 Cyl, 2.4L CVT
195,000/mi -
215/65R17 - Continental ProContact ECOPlus

Replaced entire front end suspension at 190,000mi (control arms, inner/outer tie rods, bushings, etc.) (did it myself)

new Monroe struts at 160,000/mi (did it myself)
Ball Joints 2x-both sides - various mileage (did it myself)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in