Problem with dash warning lights flashing - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 06-11-2013, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Problem with dash warning lights flashing

Hi. I have a weird/eerie problem for the last few weeks. It started with the airbag light coming on, staying on about 5 seconds and going off. This would happen occasionally, not at all, or 10 times in 10 minutes. Then, other warning lights started doing the same thing. Sometimes, the whole dash lights up, the spedometer/rpm goes down to 0 (but the car actual speed stays steady). It's kind of freaky but doesn't seem to affect the drivability of the car. On 2 occasions, I went to start it and while everything seemed to "power up", the card didn't actually start. Try again the 1st time it happened and started up no problem. The second time it did it, it took a few tries to work. At one point, the check engine light turned on. My friend works on cars. He hooked it up and it said the exhaust cam sensor (or something like that) and it was recommended to do an oil change to see if it fixed the problem. The check engine light has gone on and off again a couple of times since then. I have changed the oil and that helped for about 6 days. Now it started doing it all again tonight. The lights will do this regardless of whether the check engine light is on or off at the time. I did recently have the alternator replaced (prior to all of this).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-11-2013, 07:20 PM

Poor/bad corroded battery connections can cause all this. Remove the air intake plastics and start with the negative cable. Clean both the post and cable lug inside until shiny. You likely need to buy a post cleaning tool at a auto shop to do this properly. Then move onto the +ve post. Check all visible ground straps under the hood for corrosion (green/blue corrosion) at the lugs. Clean as required.

A failing battery can also do this in my opinion. If the problem persists make sure the connection of the ground cable and power down under is good as well. You could check and or get another battery depending on age.

As for the initial cleaning reconnect in reverse order. Last off goes on first, (+ve) then the -ve cable.

NOTE: for safety everything should be off inside and ignition off without a key in and doors closed.

Good luck. without details on history etc its difficult to be any more specific since nothing is provided. We can only surmise its a Compass, that is it.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-12-2013, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I wondered about the battery. It is the original and I have a 2007. While I haven't had any problems with the battery, and had it tested last year, I was thinking of replacing it due to age and see if that would help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-12-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean823 View Post
Thanks. I wondered about the battery. It is the original and I have a 2007. While I haven't had any problems with the battery, and had it tested last year, I was thinking of replacing it due to age and see if that would help.
What ever you do. You need clean cable connections. The do corrode after a year or more and only a matter of time before performance is affected. At 5 years old anyway it certainly at end of life. With a new battery the cable end needs to be cleaned up and a garage may not do it yet still charge you for installing it. You'll end up disconnecting and doing it yourself after.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-12-2013, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. My boyfriend will be installing it for me, so I will make sure to ask him to clean them.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-12-2013, 09:53 PM

Make sure the inner surface of the lug is all shinny. If he doesn't do it right he'll be denied !!!

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #7 of 8 Old 10-31-2013, 03:05 AM Thread Starter

Well, new battery didn't work. Got a new battery 2 days ago and yesterday it was the worst ever for this....about 20-25 minutes of constant flashing/dinging. Saw a thread somewhere that said after the battery (which seemed to be the most common fix), some part in the starter area (but not the starter itself) was the next try. If anyone knows of that thread, I'd greatly appreciate it!
post #8 of 8 Old 10-31-2013, 04:11 AM

Garage
weird lights

Fortunately when I started to experience something similar to a smalller level, I decided to give my electricals a tune-up. I disconnected the battery and removed each connector to the tipm and sprayed it with contact cleaner and protector. I also did this to the large connector going to the ecm and to all the connectors I found. 187,740 miles later I still don't have any problem with my electricals except for the right side rear tailight bulb that went out. You have to have some experience working with electricals to do this work I guess but its not that difficult. Just be careful and pay attention to where things are connected and try not to break any clips. Please look at my postings for more tips. tks

p.s.
I also have a 2007 compass.

Last edited by jeepney_driver; 10-31-2013 at 04:14 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in