'07 Compass head/tail light issues - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 08-12-2013, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

'07 Compass head/tail light issues

Hello, everyone, this is my first post/question and I need some help. On my wife's '07, the driver's side low beam and tail light are out. Now, I have checked all the fuses and replaced the bulbs. My local shop says they can't find the problem, saying it's a short somewhere in the 7 miles of wiring in the vehicle. One dealership says it's a short and they can't fix either, while another one says it's a TIPM code issue, but they want over $300.00 just to "check it out". I have read on the internet that the Compass is notorious for this issue and some dealerships are treating as a "recall" type issue and fixing the problem for free. Does anybody have any information/experience with this same issue and if the "recall" is true? As a side note, she has been given two warnings from the local police about the headlight, and they won't give a third....i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-13-2013, 02:04 PM

If the right side is working I doubt its a short it would blow the fuses or the TIPM.

Low beams (both sides) as well as High Beams (both sides) are each powered indepedantly. If one side is on the other should get power.

Do the High beans work?
Running light working? At least one side.
What about brake and signal lights?

It more likely a break or open wire and given its an 07 it could even be corrosion from salt etc. Since you don't have signature there are no details as to location, configuration and millage like more frequent posters provide since its all pertinent as a base line in determining a problem. Was the vehicle ever hit in an accident especially that side.

I have not heard of any such recall. They may have TSB on it but TIPM is a self enclosed all solid state programable system with a bare minimum of fuses user serviceable. I have had at least five replaced for various problems. Its scary since they're expensive.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-13-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got-twins22 View Post
I have read on the internet that the Compass is notorious for this issue and some dealerships are treating as a "recall" type issue and fixing the problem for free. Does anybody have any information/experience with this same issue and if the "recall" is true?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
It more likely a break or open wire and given its an 07 it could even be corrosion from salt etc.
I did a quick check for recalls/service bulletins for a "generic" 2007 Compass. I didn't find any related to your symptoms.

A good ground is necessary for proper lighting operation. If a lighting problem is being diagnosed that involves multiple symptoms, systems, or components, the problem can often be traced to a loose, corroded, or open ground.

Just an FYI -
You can find out if there are any outstanding recalls pertaining to your specific vehicle by going to http://jeep.com/owners
Enter your 17 digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) in the Recall Search Field.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-13-2013, 05:11 PM

On another note I forgot to mention. Check in your area for an good AUTO ELECTRIC SHOP. They have the tools and experience trouble shooting these problems. That would be your best bet. I takes and exceptional home mechanic to get to the bottom of many electrical issues with the complexity of todays vehicles. I takes a very regimented thinking logical mind as well!! Understanding electrical wiring or circuits is not enough the methodology and experience is critical along with experience.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-31-2015, 11:54 AM

i had a blinker light and a headlight go out. (seperate times)
it took some figuring, but the ground wire to the light socket was bad. i cut the wire and ran a new ground to the body. that solved my problem both times.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in