2007 Compass would not start - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 7 Old 01-06-2014, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

2007 Compass would not start

I have a 2007 Compass that we had jsut been driving. We went to start it after sitting for a half hour and nothing. All dash lights worked, headlights, radio, heater, wipers all came on. The strange thing was that the remote door locks and panic on the key did not work either. I took out several fuses but did not see any that were blown. I tried to start again and it started right up and the remote also worked again.

Does anyone have any ideas what might have caused this???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-10-2014, 01:06 PM

Depends on a lot.

How far the start signal got. Did the starter solenoid get activated and if so the contact maybe bad or solenoid failed. But a lot goes on before that. You have to eliminate the obvious. Battery, battery post connections are clean etc.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-11-2014, 11:21 PM

hope it isn't what just happened to mine, I have a 08 that did that, it just stoped starting, lights and everything would work find but the key wouldn't turn the car on.... Got it diagnosed at a dealer this week its going to cost me $1050 dollars, they claim my motors wiring harness is corroded causing the starting issue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-12-2014, 01:51 AM

Will I have the same problem right now, and what I do is hit the battery (-) 5 or 6 times to get the car Electricity back, and if it's not working I use a Jump Starter. However, the real problem is the battery because one of the work in DOBBS told me that.
GOOD luck.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-12-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhoppy16 View Post
hope it isn't what just happened to mine, I have a 08 that did that, it just stoped starting, lights and everything would work find but the key wouldn't turn the car on.... Got it diagnosed at a dealer this week its going to cost me $1050 dollars, they claim my motors wiring harness is corroded causing the starting issue
LOL
Run as fast as you can from that dealer. If you replace everything it will work. That appears to be their perspective. Find a good independent shop that has a focus on electrical issues and have then diagnose it.

But for starters, or to start with I should say. Be sure you battery connections are good and the battery is still in good shape. If its the original battery its already at the end of life. In other words if your around 5 years that is the useful life of a battery. especially for winter use. As a repair goes the battery is a cheap fix. But get quality battery paying attention to they warranty. The Walmart EverStart are pretty good as far as mass merchandizer parts go. You should charge it before installing though. But be certain your connections are good at the posts as well.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

post #6 of 7 Old 03-06-2014, 03:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhoppy16 View Post
Dealing with this exact issue right now. Bought it used a year ago with the inner fender liner missing. Who thinks to check that, did they not check it either? Replaced the main relay, nothing.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-07-2014, 10:14 PM

I'm having a very similar issue right now. It only happens after driving for 30+ minutes normally. I've narrowed it down to it would only happen if I was running heat for a while, or this week when i drive for a while with the weather being warm. It seems something is overheating or a sensor is shutting something down because of the heat. So basically I think it has to do with heat and electronics somehow. Also the battery is newish and has never been the issue to my knowledge. Any ideas?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in