Difficulty starting 2010 Jeep Compass in cold - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 3 Old 03-07-2014, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Difficulty starting 2010 Jeep Compass in cold

Hello

I have a Jeep Compass (2010) North Edition with Command Start. We're up in Western Canada, and it's been getting fairly cold, so I plug my car in overnight (no garage for it). Over the last while, it won't Command Start when it's cold (-20C) and I have to start it with the key. Even then, it won't start until I've put my foot down on the accelerator to give it gas - it will still stall a couple times for lack of fuel before it will really decide to run, and even then I have to sit with my foot on the accelerator for a bit before it seems to be able to feed itself enough fuel. (then I can get out and unplug it, deal with the ice and snow on the windshield, etc. while it warms up before I can drive away). I got Command Start so it would be warm-ish when I went out to it, not so I would have to go out and start it when it's cold (yes, I'm a suck).

It does start each time, eventually. And when I start it later in the day (ie. difficulty at 6 am when I go to work, no problems at noon and 5 pm when I start it, and it can't be that it hates going to work, because it's the same on the weekend!)

Anyone else experience this? The dealer claims it won't throw a code and they can't diagnose it, so they're going to send it back to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-08-2014, 01:47 AM

Garage
If it's a 2010 you might want to first look at the battery. If it's never been changed it's probably right at the end of its life. Also, with the extreme cold you have in Canada, investing in a higher quality battery that is rated for lower temps. may not be so bad either. The dealership should know better if they were true mechanics. Not everything throws a code.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-08-2014, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks

Hi Ski Bum

Thanks, I agree about not everything throwing a code, I thought that was a ridiculous statement for them to make. It doesn't seem to be the cold cranking power of the battery - I've had batteries go on other vehicles, and it seems different than what I experienced there. The car turns over fine, it just can't get enough fuel to keep running until it's tried pumping fuel for a bit. I wondered about a dirty fuel filter, but they tell me that the fuel filter is in the tank so I'd have to have the tank drained and taken off for that to be checked. How does that even make sense, to put a filter somewhere you can't get to it to change it?!

The dealership's only suggestion was to run fuel conditioner through it and see if that cleans up my injectors. So clearly the service manager just wants it out of there, and to get the Dart back that they loaned me. (They've been just as helpful on the 4WD issue - "we can't reproduce it, there's no codes, so there's nothing wrong"). I spoke with my sales guy, and he's set up a meeting for me with the dealership GM today. I'll rattle a few cages over it - our family buys vehicles regularly from that dealership (Mom trades in every two years, my Dad buys in fits and spurts, and my sister-in-law just bought a high end vehicle there) and have for years, so someone will listen eventually.

I may do the battery anyway, though, it is 3 years old and it's original equipment. I know how good the tires were (didn't make 50k km) so the battery may be the same quality.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in