Start problem, might be electrical - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 8 Old 04-02-2014, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Start problem, might be electrical

Hi guys, nice to meet you here.
I got a second-hand Jeep Compass 2009 last May. Now the mileage is 88000 km.
It seems everything is good, although the gas is high.
I have a problem about start. last October, after several time i could not start my car, i drove to a car garage and changed a new battery. After i changed a new battery, it is much better but not perfect, it still happened for starting my car, i went to the car garage, everything is good, battery and alternator, i thought might be the cold weather.

Last Saturday morning, i could not start my car again and i thought might be the reason of not too much driving my car during the weekdays(mon-fri), i called a friend to help me to start my with the wires.

I drove my car for about 1.5 hour in total on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. It was crazy i could not start my car on Tuesday afternoon. I drove to the car garage again for check, the guy told me everything is good,but it seems there might be a electricity leaking problem and told me to drive to a Jeep dealer.

I drove to the Jeep dealer and told them the situation and they told me need to check and did not tell me how much i need to pay for check. and if need to fix this problem, how much i expect to pay?

how can i do now? i am totally an idiot about car.

Need your help. appreciate!

Last edited by Myjeep2009; 04-02-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-03-2014, 03:59 AM

Garage
It could be any number of problems. From a bad wire to a bad starter etc. Most diagnostic checks I believe are around $100. Give or take depending on how quickly they discover your problem. If you could give more detail about the sounds it makes when it won't start would be helpful. Does it just whine? Does it crank but the plugs don't ignite? Give us more detail about how it sounds when it doesn't start and we should be able to give you a good guesstimation.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-03-2014, 01:27 PM

Garage
Change your plugs the compass uses copper plugs and should be changed every 30,000-50,000k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-03-2014, 01:38 PM

Garage
they're just over $7 for 2 at CT. If you don't feel confident doing it yourself, buy the plugs and bring them to your mechanic because they"ll charge you $20 a set. They will however charge you an hours labor for something that take 1/2 to DIY.

NGK Copper Spark Plug, 2-pk. | Canadian Tire
post #5 of 8 Old 04-04-2014, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski_bum View Post
It could be any number of problems. From a bad wire to a bad starter etc. Most diagnostic checks I believe are around $100. Give or take depending on how quickly they discover your problem. If you could give more detail about the sounds it makes when it won't start would be helpful. Does it just whine? Does it crank but the plugs don't ignite? Give us more detail about how it sounds when it doesn't start and we should be able to give you a good guesstimation.
Thank you very much.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-04-2014, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0jbrewer0 View Post
Change your plugs the compass uses copper plugs and should be changed every 30,000-50,000k
Really appreciate.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-04-2014, 02:43 AM Thread Starter

I could not start my car again today. It happened Tuesday afternoon, which i mentioned before. I drove my car for about 40 minutes after a friendly stranger helped me booster my car. Yesterday i did not drive too much, about 5 km, to Canada Tires buy a battery booster pack.
No too much sound first time, i tried a second time after a while with almost not any sound. I used the new booster, it started easily.
It really drives me mad.
To change new copper spark plugs will work? I will have a try.
Thanks a lot
post #8 of 8 Old 05-10-2014, 05:19 AM

Garage
Ok my friend, your car is probably fixed by now so this info is for everyone having a starting problem not related to weak battery or plugs.

Here are the things that will give you a no start problem:
1. Zapped SCRIM. During cold weather and when there is little humidity in the air, it is possible to generate enough static electricity when you are entering your car. When you insert your ignition key the static electricity is discharged through your key and somehow reaches the SCRIM. Sometimes the part is so badly zapped that the solution is to replace it. Very expensive.
Prevention is simple: When entering your car, hold the metal part of the key and before you insert it , touch the ring around the ignition or the shift knob shaft with your finger (not the key but still holding the metal part of the key) to discharge the static. It works.

2. Bad ignition key switch. This part is a multi-contact switch that is activated by your turning the ignition switch. It is small, a little bit rectangular in shape but not very expensive. You either replace this switch or in my case I fixed it. The original grease or dielectric lube becomes hard and in cold weather, actually might prevent contacts form touching thus the no start problem. If you are a technician you might be able to fix this. be careful with the spring loaded steel detent ball. It can fly off and get lost. However, I recommend just changing this switch. Inexperienced persons might not be able to fix this switch. You will also need a very small torx bit and be very careful with the protruding end of the mechanical actuator as it also activates a small contact in the switch itself.

3. Bad neutral safety switch. This can prevent your car from starting. This switch sits on top of the transmission and its position is calibrated. So mark this position before you remove this switch. It can be cleaned and refurbished as I did mine. Of course if you are not a mechanic it might be a little bit difficult.

Special note: If these switches are bad or dirty, it will prevent the proper amount of current going to the solenoid switch thus the no start problem.

I hope this helps and let me know please. Thanks.

J espere que cela vous aide

Last edited by jeepney_driver; 05-10-2014 at 05:22 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in