2011 compass wont start - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 06-27-2014, 03:00 AM Thread Starter

2011 compass wont start

HI! i just bought a used 2011 car with 80,000 miles, back in april and it was great till a few weeks ago it just wouldnt turn over, you had to do it a couple of times till it started. noone knew what was wrong with it so i bought a new starter for her, worked great, for 3 days... took it to a jeep dealership and everything was acting fine and they had no idea what the issue was battery was also brand new. honestly i dont know what to do because noone can help me fix it. the power sign lights up and the MLI. I'm not a car person so if anyone has any ideas for the next time i bring in my car to tell the guy cause i litterally just bought this car 2 months ago.

i looked at other threads and its not my battery and i just put a new starter in it and all the codes are "up to date"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-27-2014, 01:08 PM

Well you could say its one of the issues with the Compass. Many things can cause that problem.

Since you did not say it would not start but said it would not turn over!! Says volumes!! Excellent since the former is meaningless.

That does not mean the starter was bad. Although the Compass is over complex in implementing electrical controls as everything pretty much is controlled by the TIPM (which replaced the typical power distribution box contain fuses and relays). The Started gets power from a solenoid switch directing DC directly from the battery to it. If that did not activate then problem is upstream in the control circuits and safety inhibitors etc. However if it did switch on then the electrical connections can easily be the issue especially where corrosion and road salt/sand is used.

Cleaning the connections should be the first thing which eliminates a lot.
- battery post lugs (should be done if the battery was just changed)
- connection of the lugs at the starter (leave the GRN off the battery before doing so)
- Check the cables at the lugs that they are not corroded within the wiring near the ends (wriggling the wire/cable back and forth may cause bluish/green power to come out indication major copper corrosion and the lug might just break off because of it)

The harness to the TIPM (located upper drivers side of the batter with a few fuses in it).
I can be a problem but the dealer should be aware of the weakness by now. If you just bought it be sure this problem does not end with your purchase warranty as long as it persists. Many times they need it not to be starting to track exactly where the start signal if failing.

Good luck

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-04-2016, 07:18 PM

2014 Jeep Compass - Intermittent Starting/Stalling

I have been having a similar issue with my Compass. I am the second owner, but I bought it from a reputable dealership. It had 8,000 miles on it when I purchased it at the beginning of this year, and now has slightly less than 12,000. It ran fine for the first few months, but for the past two weeks or so it has been intermittently starting (or stalling immediately after it starts). It will crank, but won't turn over (so it's not a clicking sound like the battery is dead, but rather like it's trying to start, but isn't catching). It's intermittent, so I could try to start it in the morning 4 times, and it will catch on the 5th, or it may start right away. It also started to stall out if I'm going slow (through a parking lot, or leaving my driveway - again, totally intermittent!)

When I took it in to the dealership last week, they replaced the Throttle Body, and did two computer updates. It seemed ok for maybe a day before it started back with the intermittent start and now stalling after starting (in the past week it's stalled maybe 5 times after starting or while at a light - but I've found that if I rev the engine while idling it is less likely to stall. It also seems less likely to stall if the AC is off).

It's obviously still covered by factory warranty, but if they weren't able to find/fix the root of the problem last time, I'm wondering if they will be able to fix this before the factory warranty runs out in a few months. Is it true that if you brought it in with an issue covered under factory, if the issue is not resolved, they still have to cover it under factory even after the warranty has expired?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 08-05-2016, 03:03 PM

Yes if you report a problem and its not repaired as long as you have your work order clearly showing the same problem.

You might want to take it to another dealer. They are not all as smart!!! I had might at at least 3 when I had trouble and also one 200km away once. Anyway with that millage its not wear but some flakey part. CPS comes to mind and will no throw codes.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-18-2016, 08:44 PM

Check the fused in the power distribution box under the hood, same problem with a 2010 Compass, would not turn over, thought it was the starter... turns out many fuses (the big squareones) were all coroded, can rebuild or get a new box (800 $ CAN) not even 80 000 KM !!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in