Cigarette lighter outlet keeps blowing a fuse - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 13 Old 05-30-2011, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

Cigarette lighter outlet keeps blowing a fuse

I only use the cigarette lighter outlet to charge my GPS, iPod, etc. When it stopped working, I changed the fuse, and that fixed the problem....for one car trip. The fuse keeps blowing, I'm not sure why. Today it blew literally as soon as I turned the car on.

I'm using the same electronics that I've had since I got the Jeep, so I don't think that any particular device is to blame.

Any tips? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-30-2012, 04:07 PM

I need this info as well...

I have a similar problem in such that no fuses are blown (they look beautiful) but the 12v and 110v are not functioning.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-01-2012, 12:16 PM

Clearly you are not able to trouble shoot.

See if this helps

1st disconnect everything you have plugged in to the 12v and/or 110VAC which should be seperately protected anyway. But unplug all.

Insert a fuse of the same size (not large than specified).

- start and check the fuse and if ok
* one of your devices is defective (dispose of it)

- if the fuse blew without anything plugged in.
* there is and internal fault in the system or circuit of the car

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-01-2012, 01:13 PM

Let's be nice shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
Clearly you are not able to trouble shoot.

See if this helps

1st disconnect everything you have plugged in to the 12v and/or 110VAC which should be seperately protected anyway. But unplug all.

Insert a fuse of the same size (not large than specified).

- start and check the fuse and if ok
* one of your devices is defective (dispose of it)

- if the fuse blew without anything plugged in.
* there is and internal fault in the system or circuit of the car
It is helpful when suggesting fixes or tips to not be insulting. statements like "Clearly you are not able to trouble shoot" are not helpful and can potentially push people away from asking questions.

That said...

I have removed the two cabin front lighter plugs to see if there are broken wires, I have checked all fuses that relate the the aux power outlets and lighter plugs, I have also checked for grounding issues. I have been trying to find information about the internal power inverter such as known issues, power specifications, etc.

In my testing and troubleshooting I have found zero blown fuses, zero fuse deformation or improper seating.

I would like to obtain more information about the internal inverter and known power issues with the Jeep Compass. This is my 9th Jeep in 25 years and the first of this body style. I have completely rewired three of my jeeps and done MANY "Nutter Bypass" jobs.

Does the 2007 Jeep Compass have known issues with the aux power circuits? Issues with the internal inverter? can the inverter cause the aux power loom to not energize?

just a few questions.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-01-2012, 01:40 PM

My entry was pointed to "libbyjones" who did not do any troubleshoot and did not disconnect or did not indicated that he disconnected anything.

Not you Glocker, although your entry was not nearly as detailed as now.

Wiring for these is not available unless someone has a service manual. I can tell you that these family of vehicles (Calibre, Patriot, Compass) are indentical in build with few variations. The use a TIPM which controls all power and distribution. Your under the hood fuses are within this module and if it fails you're into big bucks. If there are fuses for the specific circuits not working then the TIPM should not be at fault.

I would pull the respective fuses and meter the hot leg in the module (one side should have 12V on it) while the other leg goes to the load, EG lighter socket. If you're not getting 12V on a leg then the problem is of course up stream. Be it a relay, ignition switch or other failure and hopefully TIPM is not failed that will be very difficult to find without a schematic.

PS: the inverter is 150 watt and power on with load (a red LED comes on by it) when active with the ignition on. I have it in mine but only one 12V socket however that does not really imply anything for problem sources. Has any of the wiring be access to connect an aftermarket device EG Power audio stero amp/

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tripplec; 10-01-2012 at 01:48 PM.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-01-2012, 03:29 PM

thank you for your info. I will be using a Haynes and Chilton manual combo until I can source a factory service manual. I will post information that may be useful as I come across it.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-01-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocker21 View Post
thank you for your info. I will be using a Haynes and Chilton manual combo until I can source a factory service manual. I will post information that may be useful as I come across it.
I doubt if they will show what is happening inside the TIPM other than the fused circuits at best. You can call them to find out what detail they provide. Most of these manuals are shrink wrapped in the stores so you cannot refer to them or see what they offer.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #8 of 13 Old 10-01-2012, 05:32 PM

Operations info

I found this a software manual although I am not able to get or see any schematics at this time. This is largely to do with block of IE9 and Chrome won't display any content from the local files. I'll see what I can figure out as a work around later.

Here is some text however.
-----------------------------------------------------------
OPERATION

CIGAR LIGHTER/POWER OUTLET
The cigar lighter consists of two major components: a knob and heating element unit, and the cigar lighter base or receptacle shell. The receptacle shell is connected to ground, and an insulated contact in the bottom of the shell is connected to battery current.
The cigar lighter knob and heating element are encased within a spring-loaded housing, which also features a sliding protective heat shield. When the knob and heating element are inserted in the receptacle shell, the heating element resistor coil is grounded through its housing to the receptacle shell. If the cigar lighter knob is pushed inward, the heat shield slides up toward the knob exposing the heating element, and the heating element extends from the housing toward the insulated contact in the bottom of the receptacle shell.
Two small spring-clip retainers are located on either side of the insulated contact inside the bottom of the receptacle shell. These clips engage and hold the heating element against the insulated contact long enough for the resistor coil to heat up. When the heating element is engaged with the contact, battery current can flow through the resistor coil to ground, causing the resistor coil to heat.
When the resistor coil becomes sufficiently heated, excess heat radiates from the heating element causing the spring-clips to expand. Once the spring-clips expand far enough to release the heating element, the spring-loaded housing forces the knob and heating element to pop back outward to their relaxed position. When the cigar lighter knob and element are pulled out of the receptacle shell, the protective heat shield slides downward on the housing so that the heating element is recessed and shielded around its circumference for safety.

POWER OUTLET
The power outlet base or receptacle shell is connected to ground, and an insulated contact in the bottom of the shell is connected to battery current. The power outlet receives battery voltage from a fuse in the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) through a fuse in the fuse block when the ignition is in the ON or ACC positions.
OPERATION
The AC power outlet receives 12 volts from the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) and passes it as an enable signal to the inverter module. The inverter module also receives 12 volts via the TIPM and inverts this to a 110 volt AC output. The enable signal received from the power outlet enables the inverter to convert the received voltage and pass it to the power outlet to power external devices.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #9 of 13 Old 10-02-2012, 12:57 AM

ALLDATAdiy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
I doubt if they will show what is happening inside the TIPM other than the fused circuits at best. You can call them to find out what detail they provide. Most of these manuals are shrink wrapped in the stores so you cannot refer to them or see what they offer.
I broke down and reordered my subscription to ALLDATA.com I found the short below the TIPM, repaired it and all is well now. The short was near where the wiring meets the TIPM itself
post #10 of 13 Old 10-02-2012, 01:29 AM

So it was in the buss wiring of the harness at one of the plugs of the TIPM. Hmm must be really thin wiring there for it to happen.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #11 of 13 Old 09-25-2016, 02:45 PM

The owners manual with my 2014 compass said several things such as dome lights are on the same fuse with my non working lighter. So am i to assume the fuse is good but the lighter is bad and i only need to replace it to fix my problem.
post #12 of 13 Old 09-26-2016, 09:04 PM

Maybe, check voltage at socket and behind to be sure. Maybe more than one light socket in your build which would be on a different fuse as well. All guess work testing is the only sure thing.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #13 of 13 Old 09-18-2017, 07:49 PM
ddb

i wish you had taken pictures - I am in the same predicament with my 2008 compass.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in