2014 Compass Battery DIY - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 11-13-2016, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

2014 Compass Battery DIY

Just a quick question. Has anyone had any issues on swapping out a battery on your own? I know it is much more simple on older cars, but with newer cars and all the computer systems in them now makes me a little weiry. I found a video tutorial that will walk me through it. Just curious if anyone out there hasn't had any issues with it.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-13-2016, 12:33 PM

I've done mine last year. Focus on the mounting pad which holds the battery down at the base first. A long extension is normally needed, I use one anyway. If you can't get it unbolted and out then the battery can't be swapped. I did that in a Walmart parking lot taking the tools with me after loosening or removing the pad. having the wrenches for the battery post bolts as well. After done I take the old one back in for the core exchange $$$ back. Off I go, make sure it starts and runs with the new one. LOL or you're SOL after the swap.

There is nothing new or complex but on an older vehicle the rust may prevent or make removing the bolt in the hold down pad very difficult to remove. So I tackle that first.

If its going into a 2014, that pretty early to replace the OEM battery. My 2009 was weak would have been a problem for last winter so I changed it in late 2015. That 7 years approx. You might want to meter the voltage across the battery which should 14.2 - 14.5VDC depending on outside temp. Usually higher the colder it gets. Summer can be up to .5VDC lower maxing at 14.0VDC. Anyway just a though given that 2014 is not old.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tripplec; 11-13-2016 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Added Last paragraph.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-14-2016, 09:32 AM

Saw this video--- carcarekiosk.com/video/2011_Jeep_Compass_2.4L_4_Cyl./battery/replace_battery. It can give you an idea how to replace the battery on your ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-17-2016, 03:06 AM

Garage
I assume my 2012 Compass is no different to the 2017 model?

I just replaced my OEM battery after 4+ years of service..

After much research and head scratching, got it sorted..

Manufactures websites say replace with DIN66 to get 550+ CCA, BUT physically the battery is a DIN55 (approx) 240L x 175W x 175H and DIN 66 is 278L and is too tight to fit in tray without modifications....

The VARTA "D39" is a DIN55 spec battery with 610CCA withy 241W x 175W x 190H and fits like OEM unit, including having the +ve terminal in the correct location!

You'll need your radio code if it's been set!!
post #5 of 5 Old 01-04-2017, 09:16 PM

I changed out the battery in my 2014 Compass with a Duralast (Autozone) battery and it fine in the compartment with the new battery with the +post to the right.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in