Heat and A/C mode won't change to feet or defrost - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 Old 12-21-2016, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Heat and A/C mode won't change to feet or defrost

I may have this in the wrong section, but I have a 2007 compass and the heat/AC will not change to feet or defrost. I can turn the knob to defrost, then it springs back to feet/defrost but still only comes out of the front dash vents. I can turn the knob to every other setting and the knob will stay there but no matter what it only comes out of the front dash vents. The fan speed works fine, and the heat and A/C both work great. I'd really like to have defrost now that it's winter. I don't recall this being an issue in the summer, however my wife was driving it at that time. Has anyone experienced a similar problem or have any insight?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-22-2016, 04:33 PM

So you turn the knob to feet/defrost, but it moves itself away from that position after you let go? I'm just taking a stab in the dark, but there may be a spring, or something loose inside the knob.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-24-2016, 01:38 PM

Its a mechanical controlled door system. Something wrong with the actuator and/or door(s). You'd have to follow them from underneath to see which ones aren't working.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-24-2016, 09:46 PM

One of the doors could be broken?
post #5 of 6 Old 12-29-2016, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

That's correct Wheelin. No matter which way I turn it, it wants to spring back to the feet position but still only works on dash. However it doesn't feel like a spring, literally.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-04-2017, 04:13 PM

Have this same problem. Must be a spring issue because one day I said **** it and kept cranking it past the defrost setting clockwise as hard as I could over and over trying to force it and the spring behind the dial popped and corrected itself. Worked fine again turning the dial to all functions, then a day or two later it ****ed up again and didn't want to turn to defrost. I suspect it must be the spring... I haven't investigated further. '07 compass limited.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in