Headlight bulbs/compass 2014 ltd 2.2 - Jeep Compass Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 12 Old 02-07-2017, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Headlight bulbs/compass 2014 ltd 2.2

hi guys...any one know how to deal with the headlight problem on my compass above, reg sv61 wxp.

i dont know what possessed jeep to fit such awful headlight bulbs on this model...the factory-fitted H9 halogen,are so dim, they are dangerous!..i put H9 xenon in, VERY little difference...i have to rely on the headlights from on-coming cars to light the road in front,at night..that is ridiculous, even worse in bad weather...adjusting the headlight angle makes no difference because at its brightest setting you can barely see 10 feet in front.
i have got a H9 HID up-grade kit,(slim ballasts harness the lot, not fitted yet, getting advice at the moment), hoping these are UK road legal, and give enough light so that one can actually see the road ahead better than the halogens and xenons.
the bulbs do not come with casper-shields, and i cannot find H9 HID shields anywhere...i work nights so do most of my driving at night, so this is a big deal to me.

HELP!!...any help and/or advice would be very much appreciated, thanks guys.

maybe jeep should recall this model and do a free up-grade to headlight bulbs that safely and efficiently light the road ahead at night. maybe an LED up-grade....not H9's Jeep please!.

cheers team
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-07-2017, 01:21 PM

It maybe UK regulations. I have been on them roads in the UK, no shoulders, stone wall with no place to go. If you are blinding the on coming driver. You are a target and likely to get hit. Put bright yellow Halogen bulbs in you Fog light fixtures. They are great in wet weather when dark. Better than white light.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
General Altimax RT43 P225/65R17
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch
SOLD @ 153,000km Oct. 2018 THE END !!
Belleville, Ontario, Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-07-2017, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

hi tripplec..thanks for your reply..i am not blinding on-coming drivers, the bulbs are to dim for that..lol, its more like them blinding me.

i am not worried about the fog lights, a lot of drivers over here think its cool to have fog lights on all the time, it is in fact illegal to use fogs wrongly here in the UK, classed as dangerous driving, and rightly so.

all i want is a headlight bulb that actually does what it is designed to do...adequately light the road ahead at night..seems that i am being unreasonable or asking too much my friend.lol..well jeep don't seem to be concerned about it, or they would have fitted better headlight bulbs.

cheers mate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-07-2017, 06:31 PM

Fair enough, just saying what we run into hear. Fogs are totally legal and light low along the ground filling the area.

Never the less. FYI That vehicle would be equipped with an H11 bulb here. See this for your reference. Philips Bulb Look-up | 2014 JEEP Compass Sport

Good luck

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-07-2017, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

many thanks for the info my friend, i will check them out
post #6 of 12 Old 02-07-2017, 06:42 PM

Whether they have an equivalent for the UK or Europe if they're built there with a different head lamp fixture I would not know. But you should be able to locate that quickly. If the lighting is that poor I would be inclined to ask the Jeep dealer why? You all would be in the same boat. Lights on but can't see the roads. Hmmm

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #7 of 12 Old 02-07-2017, 06:50 PM

Hmm H11 their too. Where did you find H9?? Anyway, the X-treme vision is not available their as you'll see.

Vehicle lamp finder | Philips Automotive | Vehicle lamp replacement guide

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #8 of 12 Old 02-07-2017, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

the vehicle came factory-fitted with H9's
post #9 of 12 Old 02-07-2017, 07:04 PM

Oh, what does the manual say you got. Odd anyway I am not familiar with that bulb. Maybe the socket is the same.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #10 of 12 Old 02-07-2017, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

it says H9 in the manual as well...i think what i will do is take the car to my jeep garage and bearing in mind the great info/advice you have given me tripplec, i will sit down and discuss the issue in depth with them...i like the H11 option you suggested...i will also show them the H9 HID upgrade kit i have...i will report back to you soon my friend, to let you know what occured.

many many thanks tripplec...catch you soon

cheers buddy
post #11 of 12 Old 02-07-2017, 07:28 PM

Yeah, stock bulbs are pretty much always good enough to see the road. If not then something is no right. Voltage too low or wrong bulb. Maybe Philips got it wrong in their chart for the UK I found. I am sure there is a solution for you though. The X-tremevision in the USA chart applies to Canada as well and it puts 100% more light on the road with the same power rating and therefore DOT legal hear.

Good luck.

Jeep Compass 2009
4x4, 2.4L, CVT
North Edition
heated seats, TPMS
Yellow Fog Lamps
CLASS III Curtis Hitch

post #12 of 12 Old 11-06-2017, 06:29 PM

Hi there, did you ever find a solution to this as I have a 2014 limited 2.4 and I have H9 and the very same problem we cannot see anything. The lights are really very bad!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in