shock from car 2007 compass - Jeep Compass Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #1 of 6 Old 03-06-2017, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 4
 
shock from car 2007 compass

so, I have already posted in this forum, and I thought I had figured out an electrical issue, but it seems to be dogging me.
to recap, I removed a non functioning remote starter, thinking this was draining my battery. the draining continued. I noticed the ground on an aftermarket amplifier behind the rear seats wasnt in contact with bare metal, but rather with the painted surface, so I scraped away the paint so the ground would have a better contact.
Now I cant say for sure the drain isnt still there, but I just got a pretty good shock when I stepped out of the car and my arm touched the frame around the door.

should I try to run a wore back through the car to a more reliable ground?
plankton is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 03-07-2017, 04:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 82
 
That sounds like a better idea than getting shocked every time you get in and out of the Compass. Provided that you can safely do so and it'll work.

Best to see if the drain is still there and then see if there's better way to ground your amp, or take it in to a Garage.
ButterToast is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 03-08-2017, 11:14 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 92
 
are you sure it wasnt just a static shock? The only way to get shocked in a 12v DC environment is to be completing the circuit somewhere. It's quite possible that if you were holding the ground and touching the metal of the chassis to get a small zap, but nothing serious.
Robxstone is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 6 Old 03-08-2017, 11:14 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 92
 
this is coming from an old car electrician who used to install 100s of remote starts a season
Robxstone is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 03-09-2017, 05:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 272
 
I really doubt the wire you grounded is causing you to get shocked by touching the frame around the door. I'm banking on static as well.
NorthStar is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 03-10-2017, 06:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 82
 
I know nothing about wiring, so probably best to take the electrician's advice.
Let us know if you're still getting shocked.
ButterToast is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Compass Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome